By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony donated $50,000 :)

Ryuu96 said:
ConservagameR said:

I'm not going to make a really big deal of it because I'm clearly more neutral than Sony says they are, but just for this, I'm going to wait on a few new releases until they go on sale before I buy.

Not because I'm against the fact that Sony is blatantly saying they're pro abortion with this move, because they can believe and do what they like, but because they just came out and said, we're neutral, we swear, then immediately got caught showing where they truly stand.

Believe what you want, but don't lie about it. What happened to the good old days of corporations focusing solely on their own products and competition?

Uhh.

Most of the major corporations are pro-choice (mostly keep it hush though because Republicans are retaliating at anyone who steps out of line) because it affects their employees, it's not about politics, it's something that literally affects them. That is why companies like Microsoft and others have pledged to assist employees with expenses should they need to travel out of state for an abortion.

Sony isn't really taking a side here either way, they're pledging to match a donation which Insomniac Games wanted to do, only $100k in total, they can just as easily match a donation to a pro-life organisation and on top of this, they're banning their employees from even mentioning the donation or retweeting it, they're also banning their individual studios from making any statement whatsoever, they're very much trying to sit on the fence on the situation.

Bit ironic that the same folk who constantly complain about freedom of speech being taken away are perfectly okay with Sony restricting the freedom of speech of their individual employees and studios on an issue which affects their employees. It's also ironic that the same group are suddenly pro "big government" (in this case, taking away the bodily rights of women).

But anyway, this is an issue which affects corporations because at the end of the day, corporations have human beings in them, that is why they're involved in the issue so it's silly to say they should stay out of the issue, although at the end of the day, the same corporations donate to both Democratic and Republican candidates.

The same group who's now supposedly big government, isn't big government and never has been, because they weren't for RvW in the first place. It's big government and the pressure they put on the unbiased, neutral, judges to make it so, and it looks like part of that is what's needed to undo it. The Democrats have complete control of all 3 branches do they not?

How much money is Sony or MS, etc, donating to Weight Watchers? How much more are they going to be paying their overweight underpaid employee's so they can afford healthier food? How much extra time are they going to give up per week, paid, so those employee's can hit the gym and exercise, especially during crunch time? What about when some of the healthy fit employee's complain?

They are corporations who care about their employee's (health), aren't they?

Maybe big corporations should just make sure they offer what their employee's need to do their job at work and stay out of their personal lives. Offer worthy products, not personal advice. If an employee's personal life is negatively impacting their job, figure it out or time for a new workplace.

A buddy of mine has a saying. Big government + big corporations = big babies. Looks as though no babies may be perfectly interchangeable.

If this is Sony's stance, that's fine, just don't try and hide it. The fact that they did begs the question, why, if it's what the majority wants or what's best?

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
Chrkeller said:

In the US it appears to be a generational thing.  For starters the younger generation needs everything they believe externally validated, I blame social media.  And secondly they want easy solutions.  Instead of people fixing the problem we want corporations to make it easy and fix it for 'us.'  Add in people being unable to accept when they don't get their hearts desire....  kind of a cluster.  I simply wasn't raised that way, thankfully.

I actually think this is because Americans hate government taking actions to fix social issues. In countries where people are used to see government taking social responsibility (which of course demands higher taxes) they don't expect companies commitment to do what is government problem. The average american seems to believe the state should be as small as possible, and people should take care of their lives by their own as we can see by how much USA citizens refuse to take vaccines only because they distrust state policies

Just my random observations of course 

Definitely true, which is a major difference when comparing Americans to Europeans.  "We" don't like government involved.  I agree with your observation.  

ConservagameR said:
Ryuu96 said:

Uhh.

Most of the major corporations are pro-choice (mostly keep it hush though because Republicans are retaliating at anyone who steps out of line) because it affects their employees, it's not about politics, it's something that literally affects them. That is why companies like Microsoft and others have pledged to assist employees with expenses should they need to travel out of state for an abortion.

Sony isn't really taking a side here either way, they're pledging to match a donation which Insomniac Games wanted to do, only $100k in total, they can just as easily match a donation to a pro-life organisation and on top of this, they're banning their employees from even mentioning the donation or retweeting it, they're also banning their individual studios from making any statement whatsoever, they're very much trying to sit on the fence on the situation.

Bit ironic that the same folk who constantly complain about freedom of speech being taken away are perfectly okay with Sony restricting the freedom of speech of their individual employees and studios on an issue which affects their employees. It's also ironic that the same group are suddenly pro "big government" (in this case, taking away the bodily rights of women).

But anyway, this is an issue which affects corporations because at the end of the day, corporations have human beings in them, that is why they're involved in the issue so it's silly to say they should stay out of the issue, although at the end of the day, the same corporations donate to both Democratic and Republican candidates.

The same group who's now supposedly big government, isn't big government and never has been, because they weren't for RvW in the first place. It's big government and the pressure they put on the unbiased, neutral, judges to make it so, and it looks like part of that is what's needed to undo it. The Democrats have complete control of all 3 branches do they not?

How much money is Sony or MS, etc, donating to Weight Watchers? How much more are they going to be paying their overweight underpaid employee's so they can afford healthier food? How much extra time are they going to give up per week, paid, so those employee's can hit the gym and exercise, especially during crunch time? What about when some of the healthy fit employee's complain?

Maybe big corporations should just make sure they offer what their employee's need to do their job at work and stay out of their personal lives. Offer worthy products, not personal advice. If an employee's personal life is negatively impacting their job, figure it out or time for a new workplace.

A buddy of mine has a saying. Big government + big corporations = big babies. Looks as though no babies may be perfectly interchangeable.

If this is Sony's stance, that's fine, just don't try and hide it. The fact that they did begs the question, why, if it's what the majority wants or what's best?

Yes, democrats have the house and white house.  The senate is largely split, with democrats having the tie break via Vice President.  Problem is Manchin, who is a 'democrat' keeps voting republican on the senate floor...  hence why bills are being stalled.  

Ryuu96 said:
ConservagameR said:

But it's fine to ban abortion and take away human rights from women.

I don't even know where to start with that comparison, it's a joke, right? Lol.

Overweight =/= Pregnancy: I don't want to bother with this too much cause it's not alike at all but I'll run through those questions; Employees can choose what food they spend their pay on, being overweight is not necessarily unhealthy (obesity is) and that stuff depends more on your blood pressure, blood sugar, etc. Sure they can be often linked but someone who is overweight may still be healthy otherwise internally, a skinny person could be just as unhealthy, the employees can work out in their own time, Microsoft & Sony aren't working their employees 24/7.

And lastly, Microsoft does actually offer assistance on this stuff, not only with their in-house gym facilities but also stuff like this.

Pick your favorite way to stay fit. We will reimburse you up to $1,200 per year for employee-only wellness-related expenses that help you get and stay fit physically, emotionally, and financially. You can use those funds for anything from gym memberships or fitness classes to services like meditation programs, massage, weight-loss program fees, caregiver support, financial advising, and debt management.

You do know that many US corporations offer health insurance too, right? Not to mention all the different mental help services offered, a person may be overweight due to something going on mentally and Microsoft offers help for that, not all though are overweight due to mental health issues but should they also stay out of that as someone's health is their private life? Lol.

Either way, a persons weight can change, being pregnant can't if abortion is banned and being pregnant more often than not has a much larger physical and mental effect on someone's body than being overweight does, this really shouldn't have to be explained...Someone being overweight can usually easily perform their job at a tech company still but someone being pregnant often has a big physical and mental impact on them, they're literally growing another human in their body, being pregnant would affect a persons ability to work far more than being overweight in the tech industry, it ain't even close.

Corporations do offer what their employees need to do their job at work and that includes making sure that their employees are healthy and happy, a happy employee, more often than not, is a good one and one who stays at the company, I for one am happy that our companies do actually make an effort to care about their employees (although, some have a lot more work to do) rather than the slave labour we see in places like China.

Not to mention, in the tech industry especially, right now there's a lot of talk about there being a talent shortage and companies are being very competitive with each other in taking that talent recently which is even more reason why companies should be looking out for their employees wellbeing, taking the stance of "if you're unhappy, go and find another job!" is a sure fire way to cause someone like Microsoft to lose key staff to their rivals...Not a very smart way to run a business.

I know I only spoke about Microsoft but I'm confident that Sony/Nintendo offer a lot of the same stuff too, as do many tech industry companies, and actually, a big selling point about Microsoft has always been about their very generous employee benefits which includes the wide coverage health insurance they offer. If they stayed out of it and didn't offer help in that stuff then they would quickly become a less desirable place to work at.

In Obama's first 100 days he was supposed to make abortion a constitutional right wasn't he? The Democrats had complete control of the government then as well didn't they?

It's only seen as banning to those who agreed with it when it was instated. It's like the Republicans are choosing to abort the Democrats baby right now, which they wish to keep, though to Republicans their view is you should've been more responsible in the first place and they're simply righting a wrong. It's all relative, and a bit ironic.

I've heard this, it's not the same excuse, so many times. A persons weight can change but their pregnancy can't? You mean all woman are born pregnant or are destined to become pregnant and there is nothing they can do about it? Are all people born fat or destined to become fat? Other than those who have a more rare condition that leads to obesity, the rest simply aren't being responsible when it comes to their food intake. Just like if you're not responsible sexually, besides some more rare occasions.

I'm sure during crunch time MS and others would be more than happy to give time off for stress eating and poor food intake due to lack of time and exercise. Maybe MS and others should have free in house liposuction where they can just suck you down quick, sew you back up, and get you right back to work? Are we also only talking about gaming corporations, because this issue reaches far far beyond gaming, as well as when it comes to body mass and how that impacts job performance anywhere.

One of the major indicators of a much higher likelihood of death due to covid was body mass. Overweight and obese people were at much higher risk. It's already a health concern in general, but it goes beyond that. Covid has been going on for 2 years now and still isn't really over. Once in a lifetime event or not, that's nothing to sneeze at.

Desirable places to work is also relative. I as well as most of my friends, won't work for companies who get too personal. You give me what I need to do my job at work and I'll figure out the rest. A buddy went through some real tough personal losses years back and lost his job, but never held it against the employer, and neither would I. I can also say that the companies who were more focused on the product than the employees, though still reasonable to work for, had the most growth and made the most progress, because the work was the most important. Which also led to big bonuses and a majority of content employee's, so what's to complain about?

The west no doubt was better than the orient when it comes to how businesses treated their employees, but they aren't much better any more because they've taken it to far. The balance was good, but now they're starting to act as caregivers, and soon enough they'll be babysitters, and how much work to babies get done?

I'm sure MS, Sony, etc, would love for none of their employees to have children or even families because the productivity would be off the charts. Until they had a labor shortage..... in which case how could that possibly, come to pass...?

the-pi-guy said:
ConservagameR said:

The same group who's now supposedly big government, isn't big government and never has been, because they weren't for RvW in the first place. It's big government and the pressure they put on the unbiased, neutral, judges to make it so, and it looks like part of that is what's needed to undo it.

The original justices that were in favor of Roe vs Wade were all appointed by Republicans except for 1.

ConservagameR said:

The Democrats have complete control of all 3 branches do they not?

No, not even close. They charitably have control of 2 branches, and more realistically have control of 1.5.

The Supreme Court is 6/3 with a major conservative advantage.

The White House is Democrats obviously. 
The House of Representatives is Democrats, but the Senate is mostly 50/50, with 2 Democrats tending to vote along with Republicans.

ConservagameR said:

Some of these corporations have cafeterias on site, and some of them even hire registered dietitians to help out with some of this.

A lot of companies also have health incentives. Extra pay, or they can cut your health costs if you show that you're exercising or making healthier eating choices.

Even smaller companies do a lot of these things, it's even more common at big tech companies like Sony and MS.

ConservagameR said:

They hid it because it's extremely controversial in the US, and other places as well.

Disney is getting screwed over by Florida Republicans, because they decided to back off from supporting some bill that they were previously found to be supporting. Which is very ironic from the party complaining about cancel culture and big government.

What about the present justices?

So it's only an advantage if they vote or rule the way you'd want them to? Their affiliation means nothing?

Is this the way things should be at corporations? You just said Democrats don't have an advantage because some Democrats are voting with Republicans. Just because something seems good or right, doesn't necessarily mean it is.

Maybe Sony should've said nothing to begin with. Maybe they shouldn't have a stance. As for Republicans and big gov, if you're not for war, but your opponent decides to build a war machine with plans to attack, you have no choice but to follow suit. Republicans aren't for big gov or cancel culture, but are making use of it to put an end to it. Much irony in American politics. Many such cases.

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
ConservagameR said:

What about the present justices?

So it's only an advantage if they vote or rule the way you'd want them to? Their affiliation means nothing?

Is this the way things should be at corporations? You just said Democrats don't have an advantage because some Democrats are voting with Republicans. Just because something seems good or right, doesn't necessarily mean it is.

Maybe Sony should've said nothing to begin with. Maybe they shouldn't have a stance. As for Republicans and big gov, if you're not for war, but your opponent decides to build a war machine with plans to attack, you have no choice but to follow suit. Republicans aren't for big gov or cancel culture, but are making use of it to put an end to it. Much irony in American politics. Many such cases.

Their affiliation means nothing. We vote for people to make policies happen, we are not making a sports team. Personally I'm in favor of political parties being dissolved. 

Corporations should support their employees and they should support things that are moral.  

Republicans have always been big government and for cancel culture. The difference has always been what their preferred government looks like and what things they're cancelling. They only claim to be small government because they don't believe government should help people, they have never taken issue with police and military funding or arresting people for marijuana. 

So why refer to them as Democrats or Republicans, good or bad, if that affiliation means nothing? Not sure how you pick who to be in charge if nobody is running against each other. Once you have that, you have parties.

Morals and support are relative. How far does a company have to go to get you just the right chair? Do they expect you to walk around on your own two feet and legs in between sitting? While killing isn't moral, it depends on the situation, and there is a significant split as to who believes what exactly counts as justified and what does not. Corporations are free to pick and choose how to operate, but lying or hiding about how they operate, especially when publicly traded, isn't acceptable.

The military is a pretty big deal period, and if you look at the weapons and money the Democrats are throwing at Ukraine right now, it sure looks like they believe in big military. The Republicans are also the party who said defunding the police was a terrible idea but some reform may be in order, which the Democrats denied, only to have the defunding totally backfire due to crime surges, upsetting the citizens, leading to the police being refunded. If the government isn't doing much to help people, then that would lead to small government. The more the government get's involved, the bigger it get's. Though yes, the Republicans may cancel things that led to bigger bloated government, and that's far different then ending a citizens career and potentially future because they said something that was normal or stupid decades ago as a teenager, that hurt someone's feelings today.

the-pi-guy said:
ConservagameR said:

So why refer to them as Democrats or Republicans, good or bad, if that affiliation means nothing? Not sure how you pick who to be in charge if nobody is running against each other. Once you have that, you have parties.

It has nothing to do with "nobody running against each other". I'm talking about how they run against each other. Instead of running on being a Democrat, run on the explicit policies that they would support. 
Or at the very least, the US government should change how it selects politicians, as the majority system is largely set up for two teams.

Affiliation isn't completely meaningless, it gives us an easy idea of what kinds of policies each person has, but that doesn't necessarily hold up.

In some cases, the affiliation is completely misleading, because people are relatively free thinking individuals and not binary political creatures. Especially difficult on the Democratic side, which tends to have a lot of people that are both very left wing all the way to moderately conservative.

ConservagameR said:

The military is a pretty big deal period, and if you look at the weapons and money the Democrats are throwing at Ukraine right now, it sure looks like they believe in big military. The Republicans are also the party who said defunding the police was a terrible idea but some reform may be in order, which the Democrats denied, only to have the defunding totally backfire due to crime surges, upsetting the citizens, leading to the police being refunded. If the government isn't doing much to help people, then that would lead to small government. The more the government get's involved, the bigger it get's. Though yes, the Republicans may cancel things that led to bigger bloated government, and that's far different then ending a citizens career and potentially future because they said something that was normal or stupid decades ago as a teenager, that hurt someone's feelings today.

I'm making a distinction between directly helping people like welfare and other government operations that indirectly help people. 

Republicans tend to support those other government operations like police, prisons, military, etc. And on the contrary it's not that those things aren't supported by Democrats, but they tend to feel that the current system is excessive. Focusing prisons on rehabilitation instead of solely punishment. A lot of other countries have had a lot of success with that. Stop imprisoning people for marijuana use, treat those people as people that need help and not punishment. Instead of giving police officers tanks, and propaganda that scares them into using them, make them focus on de-esculation training.

It is not the case that democrats want to shut down police departments, despite the claims that they already did, leading to a crime rise.

Some of the frequently used examples, actually increased police funding:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2022/01/28/fact-check-police-funding-not-linked-homicide-spikes-experts-say/9054639002/

And no, Republicans aren't cancelling things that lead to bigger government. They're boycotting stores, banning books, and school lessons that dare talk about black people being disadvantaged in this country, or gay people existing.

>Affiliation means nothing, but isn't completely meaningless?

Ok I got a pretty good idea where this is going.

>Republicans are for big government, yet are using the free market and smaller government to their advantage?

And we've arrived.

Sony should've stayed silent or been up front about it. Flip flopping is a bad look.

the-pi-guy said:
ConservagameR said:

>Affiliation means nothing, but isn't completely meaningless?

Ok I got a pretty good idea where this is going.

>Republicans are for big government, yet are using the free market and smaller government to their advantage?

And we've arrived.

Affiliation isn't meaningful by itself. Again, we're not electing a sports team. We should be electing for policies. 

As I said before, Democrats cover everyone from actual leftists to people that are moderately conservative. So affiliation is meaningless for Manchin and Sinema.  

@bold, tell that to ICE and border walls that Republicans are pushing, despite local government wishes.

ConservagameR said:

Sony should've stayed silent or been up front about it. Flip flopping is a bad look.

These two reports about Sony were private instances. These were two emails that were sent to employees, that got leaked to the press. They weren't public announcements.

And they didn't really flip flop. They said to respect differences of opinions, and then they matched a donation, which they match pretty much any donation.

Well if you're electing a group of individuals to work together for the American people, they have to act as a team or they're not going to be very effective. If those individuals require a team to win the nomination in the first place, then they need to act as a team as well. So yes, you're basically electing a team, and some basically consider it a sport, though it's not supposed to be. Now how to do it so that's not the case? Nobody seems to have figured that out.

Who makes up Republicans then I wonder?

Texas, having the biggest border concern considering the length of it's border, is taking care of it itself, through smaller non federal big government. Republicans tried to do private funding as well earlier, but so many roadblocks oddly kept popping up. Couldn't have included big government being in the way could it?

If an individual was donating and asked Sony to match it, the individual themselves wouldn't need to be public knowledge, but whatever the company itself did would, especially in this case. You don't give a public statement about taking the middle ground, only to fund one side immediately afterwards.

Are you also saying that nobody at Sony is pro life and against (funding) abortion? If Sony apparently thinks you need to respect everyone's difference of opinion, then they would seemingly be disrespecting the pro life employees.

As I said before, Sony should've kept quiet or been up front about their stance.

Mid terms in the USA are going to be interesting. Are people really that upset over the SCOTUS or will record inflation drive people to conservatives? I'm guessing the latter.

Mnementh said:
SegaHeart said:

Microsoft said 
"Microsoft will continue to do everything we can under the law to protect our employees' rights and support employees and their enrolled dependents in accessing critical health care — which already includes services like abortion and gender-affirming care — regardless of where they live across the U.S.," reads a statement issued to The Post. "This support is being extended to include travel expense assistance for these and other medical services where access to care is limited in availability in an employee's home geographic region."

This right there is what a company need to do: support their employees.

Companies only do what's best for their interests. In this case, they would rather pay for abortion then have the mother go on maternity leave for a few months, and maybe risk the mother not coming back to work due to deciding to raise the child (rare, but it happens).

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"