By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How much would the current platforms have sold LTD without shortages?

The lifetime sales of the Xbox Series X/S, PS5, and even the Switch have been affected by shortages and other setbacks. FOMO is a real thing, and some will argue that the sales would be pretty similar if there were no shortages.

How much do you think the three major platforms would've sold LTD without any shortages at all and their official price points? We will be looking at sales from when each platform launched until April 30, 2022.

Switch has been affected the least, but even Nintendo says they can't make enough of the darn things to match full demand. 

Switch Total: 107,367,298

No shortages prediction: 115.5 million

PS5 Total: 19,467,776

No shortages prediction: 25.7 million

Xbox Series X/S Total: 14,428,785

No shortages prediction: 18.3 million

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

Tough to say since no shortage wouldn't really be the same as limitless stock. I'd guess something like if production and shipments had been more normal:

Switch - 109m

PS5 - 22m

Xbox Series - 15.5m

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Switch- about the same as it is right now
PS5- 24 million
Series- 16 million

More than they're at now.

woulda shoulda coulda all 3 lie buried in a cave

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:

woulda shoulda coulda all 3 lie buried in a cave

Nah, buried in a field.

Without shortages I predict:

Switch: 110M
PS5: 25M
XSX: 15M

I don't think that Xbox would be much higher due to a boost in several countries due to a lack of PS5 units. PS5 was the most impacted by shortages, however I think Nintendo's Q3 of 2020 and Q1/2/3 combined of 2021 would have been higher as well.

Switch - same, there has always been switches available

PS5 - 40 million, your prediction of 25 is ridiculous, there's no ps5 anywhere to be found and I know a lot of people crazy looking for one that doesn't cost 800 dollars, you underestimate how popular the PS is, especially as it has full backwards compatibility with the ps4

Xbox - 15 million, because many people bought the series S instead, there's xbox series X and S both available on amazon for a few days already and its not selling out at all. I've also had a chance to buy one since launch on worten website if you are willing to wait for delivery. And there's a crazy high amount of series S being sold second hand on local facebook classifieds for less than 200 dollars.

My main question is actually more if a better supply situation would lead to a Switch 2 faster than in this timeline.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Switch Total: 107,367,298
No shortages prediction: 114.51 million

PS5 Total: 19,467,776
No shortages prediction: 27.7 million

Xbox Series X/S Total: 14,428,785
No shortages prediction: 14,428,786