By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How much would the current platforms have sold LTD without shortages?

My main question is actually more if a better supply situation would lead to a Switch 2 faster than in this timeline.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

Switch Total: 107,367,298
No shortages prediction: 114.51 million

PS5 Total: 19,467,776
No shortages prediction: 27.7 million

Xbox Series X/S Total: 14,428,785
No shortages prediction: 14,428,786 

No shortages

Switch :120 million

Ps5 : 24million

Xbox : 22 million

victor83fernandes said:

Switch - same, there has always been switches available

PS5 - 40 million, your prediction of 25 is ridiculous, there's no ps5 anywhere to be found and I know a lot of people crazy looking for one that doesn't cost 800 dollars, you underestimate how popular the PS is, especially as it has full backwards compatibility with the ps4

Xbox - 15 million, because many people bought the series S instead, there's xbox series X and S both available on amazon for a few days already and its not selling out at all. I've also had a chance to buy one since launch on worten website if you are willing to wait for delivery. And there's a crazy high amount of series S being sold second hand on local facebook classifieds for less than 200 dollars.

Yeah people are way too low with their PS5 predictions.  This thing would be blazing a new path of sales had it not been for COVID.  Shame really.

I am Iron Man

victor83fernandes said:

PS5 - 40 million, your prediction of 25 is ridiculous, there's no ps5 anywhere to be found and I know a lot of people crazy looking for one that doesn't cost 800 dollars, you underestimate how popular the PS is, especially as it has full backwards compatibility with the ps4

Xbox - 15 million, because many people bought the series S instead, there's xbox series X and S both available on amazon for a few days already and its not selling out at all. I've also had a chance to buy one since launch on worten website if you are willing to wait for delivery. And there's a crazy high amount of series S being sold second hand on local facebook classifieds for less than 200 dollars.

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
victor83fernandes said:

Yeah people are way too low with their PS5 predictions.  This thing would be blazing a new path of sales had it not been for COVID.  Shame really.

The fastest selling consoles of all time like PS2, GBA, Wii, PS4, NSW all fell in the ~20-25 million range in a similar time frame but PS5 would have been able to do 40 million?

Do you guys even do a moment of critical thinking before throwing out random numbers?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
KrspaceT said:

My main question is actually more if a better supply situation would lead to a Switch 2 faster than in this timeline.

That's so tough to say. Even without shortages and typical production (not unlimited Switch hardware, obviously), the earliest I would see the Switch 2 releasing is November 2022.

In our actually situation, Switch 2 probably launches in November 2023 or March 2024. November 2024 isn't even crazy, though I don't see it taking that long. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

zorg1000 said:
victor83fernandes said:

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

The fastest selling consoles of all time like PS2, GBA, Wii, PS4, NSW all fell in the ~20-25 million range in a similar time frame but PS5 would have been able to do 40 million?

Do you guys even do a moment of critical thinking before throwing out random numbers?

Maybe not 40 million but I think that's a lot more realistic than most of these low balls.  This thing had crazy hype and has been immediately selling out for years now.  

It would have destroyed PS4 for sure and was outpacing until supply fell behind ps4 numbers 

I am Iron Man

Wman1996 said:
KrspaceT said:

That's so tough to say. Even without shortages and typical production (not unlimited Switch hardware, obviously), the earliest I would see the Switch 2 releasing is November 2022.

In our actually situation, Switch 2 probably launches in November 2023 or March 2024. November 2024 isn't even crazy, though I don't see it taking that long. 

I mean I don't know how anyone would think a Switch 2 could have possibly launched this year when were going through possibly the heaviest software year for the Switch yet.

2023 or 2024 have always been the most viable options since the Switch became a success. No reason for Nintendo to cut the legs of a products that's basically shipping 20M in a year still.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Switch would have sold a bit more in 2020, before PS5 and Xbox Series were launched. I can't remember big shortages during last year. OLED model has shortages since launch.
Demand for PS5 was always a bit higher than Xbox Series.
Series S is available for quite some time, only Series X is still rare.

Switch: 115M
PS5: 30M
XSX: 20M

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
zorg1000 said:

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

Maybe not 40 million but I think that's a lot more realistic than most of these low balls.  This thing had crazy hype and has been immediately selling out for years now.  

It would have destroyed PS4 for sure and was outpacing until supply fell behind ps4 numbers 

Years? It’s been out for a year and a half dude.

You say it would destroy the record if it weren’t for covid but what happened to covid increasing demand for consoles? For all we know those two things are cancelling each other out and there wouldn’t be a significant difference without Covid.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.