By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Favorite non-video games

I always had a certain fondness for Mouse Trap.

I like playing Trivial Pursuit and Yahtzee with my family and friends.

Around the Network

My favourite is playing card games with the Spanish deck at that.

There are various games that you can play, but the one I enjoy the most is Escoba.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escoba
Pretty easy game that you just need to add to 15 to remove the cards on the table.

Last edited by TomaTito - on 04 May 2022

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Boss Monster

I actually kickstarted this game, too, which came with a golden sleeve, making it look like the golden NES Zelda cartridges. Pretty neat card game where your purpose is to defend your dungeon and collect as many souls of defeated heroes as possible, which means attracting them to your dungeon in the first place.

I love Magic the gathering but I mostly play it digitally since most of my friends that I play with lives far away.

We play Settlers of Catan at least once when I visit my family. When we first got to play the game around 20 years ago we played it every day (without exaggeration) from Christmas to Easter.

But, I think the top spot goes to Labyrinth. I do not play it anymore, but played a lot as a kid. Me and my brothers used to come up with new rules, playing the game blindly with all tiles upsidedown. I find the combination of strategic thinking and fantasy setting great to spur imagination. I find myself always drawn to board games where the playing field is dynamic.

I enjoyed the classics like DnD and Chess. Didn't really enjoy board games that much, but played a variety of them.

Also enjoyed Card games like Yugioh, Poker, Blackjack and etc.

Around the Network

Secret Hitler

*real game and very good. Especially with a good 8 to 10 people

My current boardgame favorites are Concordia, Architects of the West Kingdom and Viticulture Essential Edition when it comes to Medium complexity games (as per BGG ratings).
I've been encouraging my wife lately to try slightly more complex games that sit on our shelf such as Tzolkin, Clans of Caledonia, Le Havre and Brass: Birmingham, but she's not quite there yet.
As for lighter games, I like Cacao, Tobago, Cave Troll, Black Fleet, Photosynthesis, Isle of Skye and lately Grimm Forest.
As for Spiel des Jahres classics, Carcassone, Alhambra and Tikal are my go to titles - I've mostly stopped playing Catan quite a while ago, except for Starfareres of Catan) and I usually pick Ticket to Ride London when it comes to TtR, though I find TtR Europe to be best.
For non-gamers I usually pull out Codenames Pictures, Dixit, Jamaica and Sushi Go, though King of Tokyo goes well too.

As for DnD, yeah it depends on people you play with and what they expect of game's pillars (Combat, Exploration and Social Interaction). And of course, it massively depends of how good your DM is, in both preparing the sessions and improvisation (cause, after all, IMO, all RPGs should have "can we try this?" "sure, anything can be attempted" AKA the 4th pillar, The Shenanigans).

I've been DM-ing DnD 5e for last 3 years, but I rarely got a chance to play it, since I'm mostly DM-ing for my family. I've recently made a lightweight cross between FUDGE and DnD 5e for my wife, so she can DM and, hopefully, I'll play a bit more. We're currently between campaigns and decided to switch to one of D100 systems (so far Mythras and Revolution D100 are contenders, buy it will probably be some mix of that and HarnMaster) - all my players felt after a while that DnD (which pretty much translates to "class AND level" based TTRPGs) is a bit too much constraining when it comes to character development, so I've introduced them to skill based systems and D100 seemed to them like the most obvious choice (given "roll D100 under your percentage score in skill" mechanisms).

Anyway, hope you have fun with your first tabtletop RPG - for me, TTRPGs are much superior to their VG counterparts, but again, that really depends on party you're playing with and DM itself.

I like to play chess and UNO.

I love board games! Recently I've been playing a lot of Villainous (you each play as a Disney villain trying to fulfill their dark plans) and Wingspan (a game about managing birds which is more fun that it sounds!)

Of course, the days of VGC Mafia were incredibly awesome both hosting and playing.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 04 May 2022

Signature goes here!

TomaTito said:

My favourite is playing card games with the Spanish deck at that.

There are various games that you can play, but the one I enjoy the most is Escoba.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escoba
Pretty easy game that you just need to add to 15 to remove the cards on the table.

Escoba is cool. Though I'm more of a Brisca kind of guy xD

I really like Clue. Too bad no one else around me wants to play...