By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox Series X|S Outsells PS5 Again - Global Hardware Mar 27-Apr 2

PotentHerbs said:
archbrix said:

@bolded: I steadfastly disagree with that statement.  If Microsoft decides to make COD, Elder Scrolls and WoW console exclusive to Xbox in 2024 onward, there's a very good chance a victory similar to what 360 had could happen.  Without said occurrence, it may not happen, but it's still possible; whereas the PS5 has zero chance of selling even half of what the PS2 did in Japan.

Yeah no, without complete exclusivity of Call of Duty, there is zero chance of the Xbox Series X/S winning NA like the 360 did. 

The x1 was only what? 5 million behind after all the dreadul misteps and Sony kicking goal after goal with the ps4?

Zero chance is far, far too low.

Around the Network

One should never say never when it comes to sales of a product.

ConservagameR said:

Worst case scenario, if XB Series truly was giving PS5 a run for it's money by year 3 and 4, Sony could launch PS5 Slim year 2-3, then just hold off on a Pro launch, if they more so planned on it, and wait until MS announced XB Series XL or whatever they call the mid gen refresh.

Then Sony can follow up maybe a year later or so with the announcement of PS6, instead of PS5 Pro. Let XB lock themselves into last gen while you launch into next gen. Give PS5, 6 full years, and get a couple years ahead of XB (Series 2 X) next gen. Which would also give Sony the easy choice of a PS6 Pro, 1 year after XB Series 2 X launches.

Both companies have slowly been changing the game in different ways each console launch, so I wouldn't put it past Sony to go back to a 6 year gen if they end up in a sales situation like PS3 vs 360 again. They almost certainly won't get a chance at a similar PS4 vs XB1 moment again.

It's not like MS would just sit around doing nothing if that was Sony's strategy. If XL comes out, it will be probably 3-4 years into the cycle, not 5, no way Sony would release PS6 a year later in year 4-5 of the cycle. Absolutely no way MS would let PS6 launch uncontested for a month, let alone a year.

PotentHerbs said:
archbrix said:

@bolded: I steadfastly disagree with that statement.  If Microsoft decides to make COD, Elder Scrolls and WoW console exclusive to Xbox in 2024 onward, there's a very good chance a victory similar to what 360 had could happen.  Without said occurrence, it may not happen, but it's still possible; whereas the PS5 has zero chance of selling even half of what the PS2 did in Japan.

Yeah no, without complete exclusivity of Call of Duty, there is zero chance of the Xbox Series X/S winning NA like the 360 did. 

I call dibs on quoting this in a few years for the lulz.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2022-04-12-xbox-and-elden-ring-top-the-charts-in-busy-march-uk-monthy-report

Big month for Xbox and Elden Ring in the UK

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
ironmanDX said:

Yup. It's bleak at the moment due to stock availability and nothing else. Sure, some sales are probably being lost due to that but not a generational sales defining amount. Not to mention the Series S is purposefully built to act as a complimentary device and will not stop people using it simply as a secondary gamepass console... As intended.

PS5 will still be around 20-30 million above XSX primarily due to Europe and Japan.

I disagree with first party titles though, most of them will be exclusive. Starfield is hinting at that but that is a new IP so it's yet to be revealed either way, just betting on different outcomes at this point in time. 

Yeah I don't doubt we will see some exclusives like Starfield, but stuff like COD, Elder Scrolls, most currently multiplat franchises I expect to stay that way as you'd be missing out on millions and millions of potential sales by skipping PS.

Bethesda games will be exclusive like Starfield, ES, Redfall, Fallout, new IP's, etc. Except for legacy releases like they did for Quake Remaster. From ABK, CoD will stay multiplat, but Xbox will benefit greatly from day 1 Game Pass releases and marketing. A WoW release on console will likely be multiplatform since it's a legacy title. My take, vast majority of Bethesda/Zenimax releases will be exclusive while ABK will be mostly multiplatform, at least early on, with the occasional exclusive like a New Crash game or new IP. It will be interest to see if Diablo 4 or Overwatch 2 will be exclusive since those games are really far in development, my guess is multiform for both. Either way, Game Pass on day 1 and marketing for all of these is huge benefit. 

People need to keep in mind just how badly the 360 outsold the PS3 in NA. A 20 million gap is absolutely massive and would require something as huge as COD exclusivity to have even a small chance of happening when the PS5 is still in the lead nearly 1.5 years into the gen.

RolStoppable said:
hiccupthehuman said:

Yes. A lot of people seem to think that Xbox is only US/UK, but that is simply not true.

Fun fact, Xbox has a 60% market share in Mexico. Rest of South America, Xbox is also very strong, especially Brazil.

Source: Industria de Videojuegos en México en 2020 — The CIU

Also, I would say things are also changing. VGCharts's Xbox Series X/S sales in the Rest of the World are also doing very well, and not even that far from the PS5 (2.78 vs 2.09). It'll probably easily beat Xbox One's 5.50 million.

Your source has a very weird method to determine market share. While it is supposedly about Q4 2020, it doesn't look like it's based on sales data. The breakdown of the numbers below the graph suggests that survey data is the basis, i.e. people were asked which home consoles of the current three manufacturers they own, or perhaps more specifically, which one is the one they play the most. For example, the Xbox breakdown doesn't add up to 60.7% when tallying up the 360, One and X|S, so even the original Xbox has gone into this graph.

The possibility that the graph was compiled using Mexico's entire historical sales data, spanning at least four generations of consoles, doesn't make sense to me, because in that case Sony would have had more to show for it due to the PS2. That's why some kind of survey is the most plausible explanation.

But whatever method was actually used for this graph, it is most definitely not a legit method to determine market share.

I believe it was a research done on which console are Mexican users actively using at home currently. Thus, the graph is not meant to be a tally of sales of every single console by the three manufacturers over their entire history. Just a snapshot of what is in use in recent times.

Mexico is an emerging economy, so it is not surprising to see that there are still a big amount of users who would actively be playing old-gen (360, PS3) and even the gen before (OG Xbox, PS2) at home. 

Still, the data is useful to give off a good indication where current user preference is. If we judge market share by which console is in use, then I don't see the problem with the graph. Either way my point was to show that people are too quick to think that Xbox is only popular in English speaking countries.

Yeah the narrative that Xbox is only popular in the US and UK is just wrong. We know that the Xbox One outsold the PS4 last gen in Mexico and much of South America and we know that the Xbox is still the market leader in some of these countries thus far this generation. Xbox generally seems to do really well in the Americas I’m general. Also they stay competitive in Oceania. 

Europe and Asia are the only contienents where PlayStation has a clear advantage over Xbox. Probably Africa too but the market there is hard to track.

hiccupthehuman said:
jason1637 said:

Xbox is also popular in South America and Oceania.

Yes. A lot of people seem to think that Xbox is only US/UK, but that is simply not true.

Fun fact, Xbox has a 60% market share in Mexico. Rest of South America, Xbox is also very strong, especially Brazil.

Source: Industria de Videojuegos en México en 2020 — The CIU

Also, I would say things are also changing. VGCharts's Xbox Series X/S sales in the Rest of the World are also doing very well, and not even that far from the PS5 (2.78 vs 2.09). It'll probably easily beat Xbox One's 5.50 million.

Chile has a big Xbox player base too.