By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Spanish SW & HW Sales - Week 12 2022 (Kirby and the Forgotten Land)

Tagged games:

Chicho said:
Greenfox said:

They don't translate Forbidden West into Spanish because they didn't translate Horizon Zero Dawn at the time. And they didn't translate Horizon Zero Dawn because the translation would have been too crude. More or less, like this: "Horizonte Sin Amanecer". And the sequel would be "Horizonte Oeste Prohibido".

Actually, a franchise called "Horizonte" sounds really bad here. On the other hand, "Horizon" sounds cool.

Horizon Zero Dawn would be "Horizonte Amanecer Cero". It doesn't have to be crude. 

I understand the use of the word "zero" in the title as an expression of "absence of", and not the number zero as such. For this reason I translate it as "Sin Amanecer", it's more in line with the original meaning. If the name refers to the number for some reason, sorry for the confusion. 

And, whether it is "Horizonte sin amanecer" or "Horizonte Amanecer Cero", I don't know if you are from Spain or LATAM, but in the peninsula we don't usually translate the names of films and games if the translation doesn't keep the meaning and sound natural. "Horizonte Amanecer Cero" is a grammatically meaningless construct. 

Around the Network
Greenfox said:
Chicho said:

Horizon Zero Dawn would be "Horizonte Amanecer Cero". It doesn't have to be crude. 

I understand the use of the word "zero" in the title as an expression of "absence of", and not the number zero as such. For this reason I translate it as "Sin Amanecer", it's more in line with the original meaning. If the name refers to the number for some reason, sorry for the confusion. 

And, whether it is "Horizonte sin amanecer" or "Horizonte Amanecer Cero", I don't know if you are from Spain or LATAM, but in the peninsula we don't usually translate the names of films and games if the translation doesn't keep the meaning and sound natural. "Horizonte Amanecer Cero" is a grammatically meaningless construct. 

Please, don't say that film titles don't get translated because there has been a lot of movies that got their name changed for something completely different, and with awful results.

Also, Horizonte Amanecer Cero may sound grammatically wrong, but if you add something as simple as a colon (:), then everything is solved. "Horizonte: Amanecer Cero" is a perfectly fine name as long as you realize that Horizonte is the name of a franchise and Amanecer Cero is a metaphor of a new begining.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Greenfox said:

Please, don't say that film titles don't get translated because there has been a lot of movies that got their name changed for something completely different, and with awful results.

Also, Horizonte Amanecer Cero may sound grammatically wrong, but if you add something as simple as a colon (:), then everything is solved. "Horizonte: Amanecer Cero" is a perfectly fine name as long as you realize that Horizonte is the name of a franchise and Amanecer Cero is a metaphor of a new begining.

Exactly. Now, here is a quick paint edit of what the logo could have looked like below the actual English logo.

JEMC said:
Greenfox said:

Geez, of course there are cases of bad translations of movies into Spanish in Spain, but let's not generalize. We are by far not the worst country at translating names. 

And we are not even talking about games. If we don't say "La Leyenda de Zelda", "Super Hermanos Mario", "El último de nosotros" and "Dios de la Guerra" why do you want to say "Horizonte". It is an English word, not Chinese. Don't be hispanocentric. 

Greenfox said:
JEMC said:

Geez, of course there are cases of bad translations of movies into Spanish in Spain, but let's not generalize. We are by far not the worst country at translating names. 

And we are not even talking about games. If we don't say "La Leyenda de Zelda", "Super Hermanos Mario", "El último de nosotros" and "Dios de la Guerra" why do you want to say "Horizonte". It is an English word, not Chinese. Don't be hispanocentric. 

We may not be the worst country when it comes to bad translations but, if it was a sport, we could be in the final four XD.

And that's not the point of this discussion. Some game names get translated while other not, and that's perfectly fine (for most of us). The discussion was around how good or bad the translation of Horizon could be and whether it made sense or not.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
Greenfox said:
Chicho said:

That is your mistake. When you reset something you beging again from zero. Zero down is the first dawn after the reset and amanecer cero is a direct translation of that.

Chicho said:
Greenfox said:

They don't translate Forbidden West into Spanish because they didn't translate Horizon Zero Dawn at the time. And they didn't translate Horizon Zero Dawn because the translation would have been too crude. More or less, like this: "Horizonte Sin Amanecer". And the sequel would be "Horizonte Oeste Prohibido".

Actually, a franchise called "Horizonte" sounds really bad here. On the other hand, "Horizon" sounds cool.

I thought originally it wasn't translated to not make people think it plays in or be connected to Belo Horizonte...

JEMC said:
Greenfox said:

We may not be the worst country when it comes to bad translations but, if it was a sport, we could be in the final four XD.

And that's not the point of this discussion. Some game names get translated while other not, and that's perfectly fine (for most of us). The discussion was around how good or bad the translation of Horizon could be and whether it made sense or not.

Well, I'm in favour of not translating if it's not necessary, that's why I say so. I think that one of the fortunes of the videogame industry in Spain is that they don't usually translate the names. Otherwise things like the translations of La La Land or There Will Be Blood happen.

On the other hand, whether the translation is good or not, is very subjective. You're right that the most correct translation would be "Horizonte Amanecer Zero", but it still doesn't sound aesthetically pleasing to me. It's too long name. There are too many extra syllables. Horizon Zero Dawn is cutting, direct. Horizonte Amanecer Cero is too stilted and sounds like a tongue twister, with so many z's and c's XD.

But then again, it's a matter of taste. I understand that you may like it, although I don't share it at all.

Update with Vandal information:

https://vandal.elespanol.com/noticia/1350752705/kirby-y-la-tierra-olvidada-tuvo-un-gran-debut-en-espana-con-mas-de-23000-unidades-vendidas/

Thank you!

It doesn't look like Tiny Tina has set the chart in flames. I wonder if it has done better digitally like in the UK.