By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Portal games and Ratchet games come to mind.
A couple of indies like Shantae, Undertale and even Hades at times are rather funny.
Never played Borderlands tho, but I've been thinking about playing the new Tiny Tina game? Seemed fun.
Sometimes theres games that I find accidentaly very funny (or cringy, I guess it depends) for reasons like really bad voice acting or just plain terrible dialogue. Like Star Ocean or Final Fantasy X. Funny but not by design.

Around the Network

While it's definitey not a funny game per se, I find it hilarious that Tekken features a bear as a playble character. He even has a serious backgorund story, and an ending cutscene, a musical theme, everything. His name Kuma means 'bear' in japanese.

It's so silly and I love it.

Conker's Bad Fur Day, both South Park RPGs, Earthworm Jim 1 & 2.

South Park RPGs, with Stick of Truth probably the funnier of the two. I would say enjoying a lot of the humor depends on understanding the references of the show and tolerating poop/fart humor at times (hope they tone that down in a future RPG). But even the uninitiated will probably laugh quite a bit.
Paper Mario TTYD is one of the funniest Paper Mario games while also being one of the darkest.
Persona 4 Golden, Persona 5 Royal, and Persona 5 Strikers have tons of laughs while also having a lot of violence and intense moments.
RPGs tend to be some of the funniest games due to their breadth of dialogue.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Mnementh said:

Great topic, I like it!

You named Katamari Damacy, and that surely is one really silly game (while also having unique and great gameplay). I genuinely smiled about all the stuff I could roll up and the reaction. The panic my Katamari induced and how all living things kept fidgeting stuck to the Katamari. Or police man shooting at the Katamari (not that it helped them in any way).

Other great funny games are some of LucasArts adventures. Especially The Secret of Monkey Island And Day of the Tentacle have absolutely great jokes. The Sword fighting in Monkey Island, which you win with the best insults and retorts. Also word plays jokes like with the Monkey wrench. And Day of the Tentacle where you travel through time with the chrono John (yeah, a toilet) to prevent the toxic spill that mutates an intelligent tentacle to get arms and take over the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BRXmgcBHBM&ab_channel=GeneralBeef

Ron Gilbert worked on these games, especially Monkey Island. He later on in times than LucasArts was no longer made another funny game, The Cave. About a talking Cave narrating the game and the people search for their desire inside it.

To move on to another game: the Lego games generally tend to be very lighthearted and fun. The most interesting for me personally is Lego City Undercover, which clones Open World Sandbox games like GTA and makes fun of their conventions and tropes. And let me tell you: if you think Lego games are for kids, then I pose the question why the intro has a visual reference to Boogie Nights (the rollerblade girl), a movie entirely *not* for kids. It is because adults can have very much fun with these games as well!

Not a classical light-hearted game, but I think Duke Nukem 3D is quite funny at times, with joking references and comments. The end boss of the first chapter you fight on a big footall field, while cheerleaders are cheering throughout the fight for instance.

And one of the silliest games I ever played has to be Worms. It took the gameplay of Scorched Earth, but added a lighthearted component by introducing worms as characters and add absolutely silly weapons and unwanted destruction. If you ever played Worms with friends together in hotseat at one computer, you know it is one of the most fun experiences, as your turns do not always go as planned.

Also quite funny is Battle Chess. The idea was simple yet enticing: it is normal chess, but if you capture a chess piece an animation plays that shows them fighting. This has a lot of gags (and also blood).

Are you in your late 40s a well? You named everything I was think off. Can't agree more!

Grim Fandango also had great jokes, love Manny!

For newer games Ni No Kuni made me laugh as well as Dragon Age: Origins. The banter between different character combinations was great. However most newer games just make me laugh because of how bad they are at points :/ Ratchet is still funny :)

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

Are you in your late 40s a well? You named everything I was think off. Can't agree more!

Grim Fandango also had great jokes, love Manny!

For newer games Ni No Kuni made me laugh as well as Dragon Age: Origins. The banter between different character combinations was great. However most newer games just make me laugh because of how bad they are at points :/ Ratchet is still funny :)

Well, I am 45, so pretty close. I guess knowing games like the LucasArts adventures and Battle Chess is kinda telling of the generation. Worms survived into modern times, so it is not as clear with that one.

And I have to play Grim Fandango still.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 02 April 2022

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

CaptainExplosion said:

Well, there's the Banjo-Kazooie games, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Deadpool, the Monkey Island games, Kid Icarus Uprising, Donkey Kong Country 3, the WarioWare games, the LEGO games, and Paper Mario. Funniest games I can think of off the top of my head.

I totally forgot Kid Icarus Uprising. That banter between the gods and their champions is just too funny. So yeah, good call.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Sunset Overdrive was an absolute trip, laughed my ass off so much throughout that game. The 2nd dlc was just maddening.

Mnementh said:

Well, I am 45, so pretty close. I guess knowing games like the LucasArts adventures and Battle Chess is kinda telling of the generation. Worms survived into modern times, so it is not as clear with that one.

And I have to play Grim Fandango still.

The ps4 version of Grim Fandango is excellent. (Grim Fandango Remastered) It has commentary from the original makers plus an improved control scheme. It was great to play again and it didn't crash this time! (It crashed a lot on me on PC back in the 90s)

Worms was played a lot in our house, I never got on with the modern versions though.

I was never any good with chess, but had Battle chess on PC battle it out with another chess game on MSX :)

Pretty much every later Sierra or LucasArts Adventure (plus several others, like Simon the Sorcerer or Wizardry 101), especially the Monkey Island and Leisure Suit Larry series.

Another that comes to mind is Afterlife, also from Sierra. That banter between your Angel and Demon advisors and the descriptions of the buildings...

Speaking of advisors, Dungeon Keeper's advisor is very funny, especially the descriptions of the counties you're invading, both before and after. And they managed to make it even better and funnier in German.

Speaking of Germany, Biing!, anyone?