By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Kirby and the Forgotten Land

- Dynamic 1080p docked

- Dynamic 720p portable, almost always native res

- "Very stable" 30fps

- Very quick load times

Around the Network

I don't know why but the 30fps in this game felt especially distracting. It could be the lack of motion blur or the fact that this kind of Nintendo game is normally 60fps, but I never normally have issue with 30fps. I mean I'm playing Ratchet and Clank in Quality Mode, and prefer it over 60. Just an interesting take away.

Might be another game I'll leave until there is a more powerful Switch, still have lots to get through

Mar1217 said:

So they went for visual quality instead of targeting the 60fps count which honestly would've prolly ended up unstable anyway.

I'm don't think it's entirely a matter of just opting for better visuals; the game world can get busier than 60fps Switch titles like Mario Odyssey or Splatoon 2, and I suspect if they did shoot for 60fps there are sequences with lots on dynamic objects in play where it would dip even if they trimmed down the graphics.

They probably chose 30fps for the sake of consistency rather than have an unstable framerate.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 30 March 2022

Otter said:

I don't know why but the 30fps in this game felt especially distracting. It could be the lack of motion blur or the fact that this kind of Nintendo game is normally 60fps, but I never normally have issue with 30fps. I mean I'm playing Ratchet and Clank in Quality Mode, and prefer it over 60. Just an interesting take away.

Might be another game I'll leave until there is a more powerful Switch, still have lots to get through

For me its the opposite, Kirby is perfect in 30fps, on the other hand any ps5 game needs to be 60fps because for some reason in 30fps will drag so much, no one knows what's the issue with 30fps on ps5 but its actually worse than the ps4 30fps.

curl-6 said:
Mar1217 said:

So they went for visual quality instead of targeting the 60fps count which honestly would've prolly ended up unstable anyway.

I'm don't think it's entirely a matter of just opting for better visuals; the game world can get busier than 60fps Switch titles like Mario Odyssey or Splatoon 2, and I suspect if they did shoot for 60fps there are sequences with lots on dynamic objects in play where it would dip even if they trimmed down the graphics.

They probably chose 30fps for the sake of consistency rather than have an unstable framerate.

I don't know why 45fps is not a thing on consoles, I remember with my previous graphics card I played games in 45fps on my PC and it was much better than 30fps and not so demanding as 60fps

Around the Network
victor83fernandes said:
curl-6 said:

I don't know why 45fps is not a thing on consoles, I remember with my previous graphics card I played games in 45fps on my PC and it was much better than 30fps and not so demanding as 60fps

Without VRR, (or a higher Hz display) the screen refreshes 60 times per second, so with 60fps or 30fps, the frames divide evenly into that and you get either 1 or 2 refreshes for each frame at consistent intervals. 45 does not divide evenly into 60 though, so you'd end up with frames of different lengths which can lead to noticeable judder for those sensitive to it.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 30 March 2022

curl-6 said:
Mar1217 said:

There is allot more physics and A.I happening at once than Mario Odyssey... And it's got those ARM cores pegged pretty hard.
There are some really good shader effects being employed as well.

Visually not a bad looking title, but we do need more capable hardware to really show off this (and many others!) game.

victor83fernandes said:
curl-6 said:

Because 45fps is awful.
It means that there will be frame duplication in order to match a 60hz display which will result in frame stutter and frame pacing issues.

Obviously if you are on PC with Freesync or G-Sync, this is a non-issue as the display will match the framerate... But the Switch has no such technology.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

It sure is a beautiful looking game.

I didn't watch the video, but I have the game. It isn't the best looking Switch game I've played, but it may be the surprisingly best looking game Switch game I've played. Also, the whole thing just feels so smooth, polished, and fast loading, it's delightful!

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

There is allot more physics and A.I happening at once than Mario Odyssey... And it's got those ARM cores pegged pretty hard.
There are some really good shader effects being employed as well.

Oh don't get me wrong, Mario Odyssey is a beautiful game and has some busy scenes for sure, I didn't mean to downplay it.

It's just that playing through Kirby I've noticed it does tend to have scenes with more moving parts or dynamic components in it, or where a lot of action kicks off at once, filling the screen with explosions/enemies/breaking objects/etc. I have a feeling that even if the graphics were reduced, a stable 60fps would be off the table for Kirby just based on stuff like that.

And honestly, I don't mind. I think 30fps is fine for a slower paced game like this provided that it is rock solid, as it is here. And it's frankly one of the most beautiful Switch games to date in my opinion.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 31 March 2022