By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Kirby and the Forgotten Land

I did buy this game and finish it on my Switch. Then I tried out the 60fps mod via emulation on my PC. While the emulator still has the shader compilation stutters, playing it at 4k 60fps is fap worthy. Hopefully when Nintendo comes out with the Switch 2 and assuming it's BC compatible with Switch, they add in a 60fps patch for this game. (And others)

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

I'm don't think it's entirely a matter of just opting for better visuals; the game world can get busier than 60fps Switch titles like Mario Odyssey or Splatoon 2, and I suspect if they did shoot for 60fps there are sequences with lots on dynamic objects in play where it would dip even if they trimmed down the graphics.

They probably chose 30fps for the sake of consistency rather than have an unstable framerate.

There is allot more physics and A.I happening at once than Mario Odyssey... And it's got those ARM cores pegged pretty hard.
There are some really good shader effects being employed as well.

Visually not a bad looking title, but we do need more capable hardware to really show off this (and many others!) game.

victor83fernandes said:

I don't know why 45fps is not a thing on consoles, I remember with my previous graphics card I played games in 45fps on my PC and it was much better than 30fps and not so demanding as 60fps

Because 45fps is awful.
It means that there will be frame duplication in order to match a 60hz display which will result in frame stutter and frame pacing issues.

Obviously if you are on PC with Freesync or G-Sync, this is a non-issue as the display will match the framerate... But the Switch has no such technology.

Wrong, I am on a projector, 45fps is perfect, way better than 45fps, no stutters or anything like that and doesn't take such a huge demand on the PC. Now I don't need it, but I played at 45fps on PC for a long time.

Captain_Yuri said:

I did buy this game and finish it on my Switch. Then I tried out the 60fps mod via emulation on my PC. While the emulator still has the shader compilation stutters, playing it at 4k 60fps is fap worthy. Hopefully when Nintendo comes out with the Switch 2 and assuming it's BC compatible with Switch, they add in a 60fps patch for this game. (And others)

They will not add patches, that's not how Nintendo does business, they might do a remaster and charge you 60 dollars again. Most likely 70 dollars by then. They have nothing to gain by just adding patches.

victor83fernandes said:
Pemalite said:

There is allot more physics and A.I happening at once than Mario Odyssey... And it's got those ARM cores pegged pretty hard.
There are some really good shader effects being employed as well.

Visually not a bad looking title, but we do need more capable hardware to really show off this (and many others!) game.

victor83fernandes said:

I don't know why 45fps is not a thing on consoles, I remember with my previous graphics card I played games in 45fps on my PC and it was much better than 30fps and not so demanding as 60fps

Because 45fps is awful.
It means that there will be frame duplication in order to match a 60hz display which will result in frame stutter and frame pacing issues.

Obviously if you are on PC with Freesync or G-Sync, this is a non-issue as the display will match the framerate... But the Switch has no such technology.

Wrong, I am on a projector, 45fps is perfect, way better than 45fps, no stutters or anything like that and doesn't take such a huge demand on the PC. Now I don't need it, but I played at 45fps on PC for a long time.

Projectors are obviously a bit different to pixel-perfect displays... And will happily display content at multiples of 24.

You will still be getting stutters if you are not matched to your displays output due to a duplication of frames to "fill in the gaps", but on non-pixel perfect displays like CRT's... No one actually gives a crap because it's actually less of an issue.

Mar1217 said:

Bruh, as much as we know that Nintendo can be less generous in their business sense than others. Thinking they will remaster BC games from their previous console and sell it at 60 bucks full price is really pushing even their logic here. 

Simply put they won't do that. Way more chance that an AI upgrade technology such as DLSS-2 is issued to upgrade these builds into better performing games to please people who liked better performance than the contrary.

Though, I'm on the middle and expect them to do nothing. It'll just be simple 1:1 BC. 

They did it with Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros. U, Pikmin, Hyrule Warriors, Tokyo Mirage, Donkey Kong, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad...

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Mar1217 said:

The WiiU was not BC with the Switch so your point is mute. 

Those games were remastered and sold at full price. Which is exactly your point.

Here... I'll even narrow down the specific part of your post that is pertinent to my prior response.

Mar1217 said:
Thinking they will remaster BC games from their previous console and sell it at 60 bucks full price is really pushing even their logic here. 

Read it and weep. But nice attempt at twisting things around...

Mar1217 said:

Though, if we're gonna go down this road ... BOTW was a crossgen title and some you listed were upgraded ports and or received more content exclusive to the Switch version later on.

Crossgen titles tend to be based on older technology for the previous generation platform.

That is where Breath of the Wild falls into it... It was built primarily for the WiiU.

Added on DLC doesn't really change the fact that those games are WiiU titles. They are amazing games, some of the best games in their respective genre's, but they are still WiiU titles which have found insane levels of success on a superior platform and sold at full price.

It's business.

Around the Network

This game serves as a prime example that while the Switch may be low spec hardware, it's still possible to make good looking games on it provided your art style is strong and you work carefully within the system's capabilities.
It may be far from cutting edge, but it's still visually appealing.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 03 April 2022

Mar1217 said:
Pemalite said:

Those games were remastered and sold at full price. Which is exactly your point.

Here... I'll even narrow down the specific part of your post that is pertinent to my prior response.

Mar1217 said:
Thinking they will remaster BC games from their previous console and sell it at 60 bucks full price is really pushing even their logic here. 

Read it and weep. But nice attempt at twisting things around...

Crossgen titles tend to be based on older technology for the previous generation platform.

That is where Breath of the Wild falls into it... It was built primarily for the WiiU.

Added on DLC doesn't really change the fact that those games are WiiU titles. They are amazing games, some of the best games in their respective genre's, but they are still WiiU titles which have found insane levels of success on a superior platform and sold at full price.

It's business.

Honestly, I kinda have to wonder if you've even read the "remastering BC games" or you just having a flawed understanding to think so.

The titles you previously listed are not qualified for the prerequisite simply because there not Backwards Compatible with the Switch. Meaning they had no choice but to sell it back. 

But hey, maybe I'm the one who didn't exprime myself clearly enough 😂

Anywoo, you could have used the Motion Play rereleases of some GameCube titles on BC compatible Wii to destroy my point but I did it myself now with some simple remembering so I'm gonna go weep and play some Kirby to retrieve my smile 😆

I assumed your statement referred to games from prior platforms, enhanced and sold again. Which is the *entire* point of remastering.

But even so... Take Twilight Princess... Which got taken from the gamecube, slightly enhanced and resold on the Wii.
Then Nintendo grabbed that same game, enhanced it again so it was an enhancement of an enhancement... And guess what? Yep. Sold it again on the WiiU.

Nintendo has also been "remastering" prior platforms on the Switch via Emulation and selling those behind a subscription.

Contrary to popular belief, selling and reselling old games is highly lucrative... And Nintendo has a history of it dating back several decades.

We're getting a bit off topic guys. Can we please recenter? :)