By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The rumor is finally true - PS+ and PSNow merger

Let me get it straight. The BC is locked behind the paywall and some of the titles/systems will be stream only, with no PC native support (stream only), no mobile support of any kind and no PS4/5 1st party day one releases (a biggie!), even in the top tier for the service which monthly is more expensive than the GP (cheaper if you pay upfront for the whole year though). Is that supposed to be a competition for the GP?

I guess Bethesda or Activision games are not going to be there. Also, there's no mention of EA play, which is included in GP Ultimate, so does it mean no EA games either? So what are those 400 + 300 titles? That's awful lot of games if you ask me. Hope it's not filled with shovelware just to pump those numbers up.

I'm just trying to think of the benefits of this service from the perspective of a person who already has quite a substantial PS4 library (like many of us here I assume)

Last edited by Kristof81 - on 29 March 2022

Around the Network

More BC is good BC. It sucks it's locked behind a paywall for now but hopefully they open up individual purchases down the line. Does add some incentive to those who have never been in the PS ecosystem or haven't been there since PSP or something like me.

twintail said:
ironmanDX said:

More BC is good BC. It sucks it's locked behind a paywall for now but hopefully they open up individual purchases down the line. Does add some incentive to those who have never been in the PS ecosystem or haven't been there since PSP or something like me.

You're only assuming that this is the only way to get them.

You're assuming I have a potential assumption.

How do you like them apples?

For me it's the middle Tier. I like PS Plus as it is, and it seems the middle Tier is only PS4 & 5 games. Right now there isn't much in terms of PS5 and the rest of the library is PS3 and 4. So this send it will be more of 4&5.

I know it's not a direct competitor to GP, but if PS Plus offerings remain better than Gold, and Sony keeps putting PS5 games in, 6-12 months after release, I'm happy.

People forget that PS Plus offerings are way better, with the added benefit off being able to keep them.

Elden Ring has been a huge reminder for my mates who have GP that they want o keep playing Elden Ring, but now have to stop playing or they may miss out on GotG. The other option is they carry on, and hope GotG is still there when they finish or returns back on GP.

I just hope Sony doesn't drop the ball on the quality and variety of games they offer on PS Plus

Game Pass fans and gamers who simply want the best deal possible in terms of money, obviously want to compare the new Plus because being ok with it as is, doesn't help them. Game Pass is supposed to be the future of gaming, and its been out for a while now, so if Sony kinda ignores it, like they kinda are, then it doesn't bode well for that type of bang for your buck Netflix model. Nobody really wants to pay more for games, and who wouldn't want Sony first party day 1, but top quality for bargain prices just doesn't happen. That's not how things work unfortunately.

I think this is layout, so far, is a relatively decent proposal by PS. Some aren't happy about paying for BC in the Premium tier, but I'd bet this ends up an ongoing thing. Meaning instead of stopping BC like XB did, PS can justify continuing to bring BC titles until they all are added eventually.

While I need some more info, I'd guess I'll be moving up from Plus Essential ($60) to Plus Extra ($99). 400 more games, including some big AAA, for just $40 more per year seems like a steal to me. The BC games don't appeal that much to me personally.

The info I'm most curious about for the Extra tier, is:

Will there be more additional games added, and how long before they are, or how often?

If so, then will some of those added games be AAA first or third party, and how long after launch before they're added?

Will existing games be cycled out, and if so, how many and how often?

If Sony were to add games like Horizon Forbidden West or God of War Ragnarok, just 1 year after launch, that's something I could live with. If it's more than 1 year, then I just might stick with Essential and buy first party much closer to launch. I have to see what those 400 games are and whether they rotate in and out. If so then maybe Extra would still be worth it for me.

Around the Network

Would have been interesting if they divided the BC titles between the tiers, like Nintendo does, such as these:
- Tier 1: PS1 games
- Tier 2: PS2/PSP games
- Tier 3: PS3 streams, game trials

Then it makes sense to have PS3 streams together with PS Now service on the top tier,
and game trials might be streaming as well (no need to install the software just for a quick try).

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

twintail said:
TomaTito said:

Would have been interesting if they divided the BC titles between the tiers, like Nintendo does, such as these:
- Tier 1: PS1 games
- Tier 2: PS2/PSP games
- Tier 3: PS3 streams, game trials

From a user perspective this is annoying. Why can't I have PSP games instead for Tier 1? 

From a business perspective, this incentivises consumers less to jump up to higher tiers. 

But I get what you're going for: it's an interesting proposition.

PSP games were supposed to be similar to PS2, it was a portable PS2.
Vita for example would be added to the third tier as it is a portable PS3.

If the service is good enough and you like their offering of PS1 games at the base tier, it might incite you to go for the middle or top tiers.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Fei-Hung said:

For me it's the middle Tier. I like PS Plus as it is, and it seems the middle Tier is only PS4 & 5 games. Right now there isn't much in terms of PS5 and the rest of the library is PS3 and 4. So this send it will be more of 4&5.

I know it's not a direct competitor to GP, but if PS Plus offerings remain better than Gold, and Sony keeps putting PS5 games in, 6-12 months after release, I'm happy.

People forget that PS Plus offerings are way better, with the added benefit off being able to keep them.

Elden Ring has been a huge reminder for my mates who have GP that they want o keep playing Elden Ring, but now have to stop playing or they may miss out on GotG. The other option is they carry on, and hope GotG is still there when they finish or returns back on GP.

I just hope Sony doesn't drop the ball on the quality and variety of games they offer on PS Plus

Where are you getting the info that you get to keep your PS plus games if you stop your sub.

As for something like Elden Ring on any game on GP, you do have the option to purchase for a discount which I have done a few times.

ConservagameR said:

Game Pass fans and gamers who simply want the best deal possible in terms of money, obviously want to compare the new Plus because being ok with it as is, doesn't help them. Game Pass is supposed to be the future of gaming, and its been out for a while now, so if Sony kinda ignores it, like they kinda are, then it doesn't bode well for that type of bang for your buck Netflix model. Nobody really wants to pay more for games, and who wouldn't want Sony first party day 1, but top quality for bargain prices just doesn't happen. That's not how things work unfortunately.

I think this is layout, so far, is a relatively decent proposal by PS. Some aren't happy about paying for BC in the Premium tier, but I'd bet this ends up an ongoing thing. Meaning instead of stopping BC like XB did, PS can justify continuing to bring BC titles until they all are added eventually.

While I need some more info, I'd guess I'll be moving up from Plus Essential ($60) to Plus Extra ($99). 400 more games, including some big AAA, for just $40 more per year seems like a steal to me. The BC games don't appeal that much to me personally.

The info I'm most curious about for the Extra tier, is:

Will there be more additional games added, and how long before they are, or how often?

If so, then will some of those added games be AAA first or third party, and how long after launch before they're added?

Will existing games be cycled out, and if so, how many and how often?

If Sony were to add games like Horizon Forbidden West or God of War Ragnarok, just 1 year after launch, that's something I could live with. If it's more than 1 year, then I just might stick with Essential and buy first party much closer to launch. I have to see what those 400 games are and whether they rotate in and out. If so then maybe Extra would still be worth it for me.

I disagree with your first paragraph. What Sony does has nothing to do with the success or movement of GamePass.  GP is not validated if Sony response to it or not.  Its been very evident that MS does not care what Sony does because they are moving in totally different directions.  MS and Sony have totally different views about their service.  MS is looking to build GP as a stand alone service that can be run on any device.  Sony want to continue to tie in their service to their console.  Its the reason why MS can make the decisions to put their games day one on the service because MS view GP as a Netflix service for games while Sony views their service as an extension of the PS system.

Also MS did not stop BC, licensing deals stopped BC which will be the same issue Sony will have for any games not developed by them.

Machiavellian said:

As for something like Elden Ring on any game on GP, you do have the option to purchase for a discount which I have done a few times.

Did I miss something, because as far as I can see Elden Ring isn't on Gamepass and wasn't.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]