By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The rumor is finally true - PS+ and PSNow merger

In line with what I expected. I hope to see Sony expand into countries/regions where PS Now wasn't available before. Honestly thought we would get a little price hike from the regular PS+ tier. I might subscribe to PS+ Extra for a month on my PS4 if I could play Returnal lol.

Monthly prices are a bit high for the premium tier, but the annual prices are reasonable, it might even be great value proposition depending on how extensive the BC library is, and if Sony adds to it overtime. Hopefully Sony will add PS Vita & PS VR games down the line to further drive the value of this subscription down the road.

Around the Network

The most prominent feature that differentiates GamePass is the day 1 releases. Gaming journalists hyped this up as Sony's version of GamePass, when if you've actually be reading between the lines, was never going to happen. Sony never positioned this as a direct competitior ie. Like for like feature parody with MS.

Sony were never going to launch Horizon : Forbidden West, GT7, or GOW Ragnorok into the service at launch, and anyone expecting them to had unrealistic expectations. Sony has mentioned before, that that type of GamePass model is unsustainable for them. That's why we are seeing Returnal and Miles Morales launch into the service ; As they have made most of the return of investment from the games already.

It also sets an expectation of what could launch in the service going foward. A curated list of PlayStation Studio games from the previous 12-18 months (Among the other partner games). I think it's a good balance of value. Ultimately, it comes back to whether I see value in the extra 40 Euro per year, or an extra 60, and what additional benefits Sony wil offer. We have no idea on the list of legacy PS1, PS2, or PSP games will comprise of yet either.

Conina said:

Well, the PS2 + PS3 games I rarely want to revisit are all ready to play on my PS3 Fat.
And the PS1 + PSP games I rarely want to revisit are all ready to play on my PS Vitas.
Without streaming artifacts, without the need of an online connection.

So I have no intention to upgrade to PSPP (PS+ Premium)... maybe to PS+ Extra if they add some good PS4/PS5 games I don't already have.

Can you upgrade from PS+ Essential to PS+ Extra/Premium for one or a few months and then go back to PS+ Essential?

And how will PS+ handle games which are already activated with PS+ Extra/Premium and then they are PS+ Essential games for a month? Can you claim them in that month to your "Instant Game Collection" or will that be a problem changing the licence from "playable with an PS+ Extra/Premium sub" to "playable with an PS+ Essential sub"?

Their licencing model seems to get a lot more complicated.

Dunno about PC, but on PS5 (and likely PS4) you will be able to download the PS1, 2 and PSP titles to play without streaming. PS3 is the only one where only streaming is possible. Sure you may already have all the games you want to play on midia or otherwise, same as me, and won't sign to the service, same as me, but still it is possible to play on the hardware without any streaming artifact. Now if there will be any improvement to these legacy title remains to be seem.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Shadow1980 said:
DonFerrari said:

1) The addition of more titles will be on going (and from what we know it already have more than MS offering, and they will add PS1, PS2 and PSP titles including third party, but no list given yet).

2) you already have the option to download on PS4 and PS5, this have been a thing forever (except for PS3 titles), and the inclusion of PS1,2,PSP will also allow download. Unless you want to play on PC.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. Still, if I do decide to subscribe, I still might wait a while until there's more older games on the service. In fact, if they can get something like Colony Wars on there, count me in. I played the hell out of that game back in the late 90s. It was the second PS1 game I ever owned.

Yep, for someone that didn't saw value on PSNow then it certainly is better to see what PS1,2,PSP titles they will bring at first and if they will improve the PS3,4 titles on there (PS5 titles I think for this year won't be much more than those 4 or 5 titles they announced). Hope they bring stuff that you find enjoyable and decide to sub, for me I don't think I'll for the time being (even though the price here for the Premium is like 80 USD).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Why is PS3 only streaming? Or did I misread that?

Around the Network
JackHandy said:

Why is PS3 only streaming? Or did I misread that?

Probably because they don't want to spend the R&D budget to come out with a software emulator to enable playing PS3 games on the PS5.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

At the end of the day it really does not matter if Sony stated this is a competitor or not to GP, it will always be viewed as such. Does Sony combine Plus and Now together if not for GP, who knows but it will always be viewed as a reaction to the success and push by MS with their services. If you own a MS console right now GP isn't a must but if things really start to kick off and Acti comes on board, the value proposition will be very high and probably a one to one where anyone getting a Xbox console also gets a GP sub.

As time goes on, each service will continue to be viewed and the value proposition will be measured. Personally for me, I never expected Sony to bring day one releases to their services but what is the time frame would they bring them. If its 1 years out from release, I would definitely pay up to the mid tier as I never need to play any game on release. To me that is a good acceptable time frame. If its 2 years from release then the value really falls for me and I probably see no need to upgrade.

Last edited by Machiavellian - on 30 March 2022

Im not sure why they opted for a 2nd tier. They would have been fine with just a basic and a deluxe. Basic would be akin to the existing PS Now with streaming of PS3 games as well as streaming / downloading of PS2 and PS4 games. Those that offered online multiplayer would work fine without the need for + (as they do now).

The deluxe would take all of that and add in online multiplayer for retail games not in the service. PSP, PS1 & PS5 streaming / downloading as well as new game trials and cloud saves. It would have been pretty easy to have only two choices. The inclusion of a middle point that strips out the PS2/PS3 streaming/downloads and just makes it PS4/5 downloads only is pointless.

i guess one cool aspect that is kind of like GP is the new game trials. Sony may release day 1 trials for new releases and then you can choose to keep playing by paying the full game price to unlock that trial into the full game or go buy it at retail after your trial ends.

darthv72 said:

Im not sure why they opted for a 2nd tier. They would have been fine with just a basic and a deluxe. Basic would be akin to the existing PS Now with streaming of PS3 games as well as streaming / downloading of PS2 and PS4 games. Those that offered online multiplayer would work fine without the need for + (as they do now).

The deluxe would take all of that and add in online multiplayer for retail games not in the service. PSP, PS1 & PS5 streaming / downloading as well as new game trials and cloud saves. It would have been pretty easy to have only two choices. The inclusion of a middle point that strips out the PS2/PS3 streaming/downloads and just makes it PS4/5 downloads only is pointless.

i guess one cool aspect that is kind of like GP is the new game trials. Sony may release day 1 trials for new releases and then you can choose to keep playing by paying the full game price to unlock that trial into the full game or go buy it at retail after your trial ends.

If they were set on the price for the full package, the second tier makes sense.  I am sure there are a number of people that do not care about PS3 streaming and the like, but would like access to a PS4/5 native library subscription.  This is for those people, and I have to give credit to the option because they could have left it out and forced people to pay the full price of tier 3 instead.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

darthv72 said:

I wonder why they stopped doing that. Game trials were part of ps+ at the beginning. One or two hours to try out games.

This is from 9 years ago on ps3

Full Games Trials allow you to download the full version of a game to play for a limited time period. Any progress you make and trophies you earn are saved so if you decide to buy the game once the trial ends, you can pick up where you left off.

The amount of time that you have to play a full game trial will vary from game to game and this will be specified at the time of download.

Once the trial period has expired the content will no longer be available for you to play. To continue playing, go to the full game in PlayStation Store and purchase it. When you start the game for the first time after purchase your progress and all your trophies will be unlocked.

Maybe the cost of hosting the downloads was more than the percentage of people that actually bought the game after trying it out. Or maybe it actually put more people off from buying games that had trials.