By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The rumor is finally true - PS+ and PSNow merger

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Also, since it seems that PS Now users are upgraded to Playstation+ Premium at no extra charge despite the service being more expensive, if you bought 12 months of PS Now right now you could probably get PS+ Premium at nearly half price. Of course you can no longer buy it on the PS Store, but you can still get gift cards which I assume they wouldn't just stop accepting. Of course whether or not that bump in price is justified in the first place is hard to say before we know more.

Edit: The "bump" I mentioned is actually just the combined cost of PS Now and Plus, so yea if you only had PS Now, it seems you would get Plus added in for free.

I may do this myself, I was just thinking about that very same upgrade path.  Buy PSNow this week, have it upgraded to a year of premium at half price overall.  But I am not sure I will even be using the premium tier anyway, since PSNow never interested me in the first place.  I will need to see them do more before I consider anything more than that method.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
gtotheunit91 said:

It’s disappointing to see Sony take the Nintendo route of their classic games access. Only this time it’s more expensive than what Nintendo is offering.

I’ll wait and see what games are included in the classic catalog

Sony already sells PS1 and PS2 classics on the digital store so not sure what you were expecting.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I don't think there was a moment Sony hyped this to be like Game Pass. We were told from the beginning it was essentially a PS+ and PSNow merge and not much else. If anyone expecting this to be like Game Pass, that's on them.

I'll be signing up. I didn't realize how many games PSnow had that I wanted to play. I only tried it when it first released and was not impressed. They've added a lot more since then.

DonFerrari said:
gtotheunit91 said:

It’s disappointing to see Sony take the Nintendo route of their classic games access. Only this time it’s more expensive than what Nintendo is offering.

I’ll wait and see what games are included in the classic catalog

Sony already sells PS1 and PS2 classics on the digital store so not sure what you were expecting.

Are they selling on anything outside of the PS Vita and PS3?

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:

I don't think there was a moment Sony hyped this to be like Game Pass. We were told from the beginning it was essentially a PS+ and PSNow merge and not much else. If anyone expecting this to be like Game Pass, that's on them.

That's exactly it. This was the first official word of this service by Sony themselves. It was all just speculation.

I recently got a PS5 and with a finite amount of time to play, I might just wait for a game I want to play come to the service rather than buying it. If Returnal can get added to the service just a year after launch, that gives me plenty of time to play my catalog of games I'm already playing.

gtotheunit91 said:
DonFerrari said:

I haven't tried on PS5. But I have been able to buy some PS1 and PS2 classics in previous gens. But I usually don't look for them so can't confirm for you, most of what I see on the front page or offers of the store are ported versions of those games though.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Shiken said:
Bandorr said:

So the answer is no, thanks.  To go from (being asked directly about game pass) with the answer of "There is actually news to come, but just not today" and a very slight nod to PS now all the way to "Sony is releasing a Game Pass competitor" is a leap that not even Superman could make.

But I am impressed at the lengths people will go. They have a great imagination that I wouldn't be capable of keeping up with.

Your denial at his tease is really not suprising TBH.  To be asked about gamepass and say, "we have news, just not today" and not to associate the response as a hint to a gamepass competitor is a new level of willful ignorance.

Your denial is stranger though. Sony was very clear on saying day one isn't feasible for them.

DonFerrari said:
gtotheunit91 said:

I haven't tried on PS5. But I have been able to buy some PS1 and PS2 classics in previous gens. But I usually don't look for them so can't confirm for you, most of what I see on the front page or offers of the store are ported versions of those games though.

I just recently got a PS5 and it was my first PS since the PS1 I'm pretty big on game preservation personally and it would be great if Sony would also sell their classic games like in previous gens, only this time, they carry with you to the next gen. Like all purchases are tied to your Sony account so you will always have access to them forever rather than lose them if you one day decide to unsubscribe.

Both Sony and Nintendo had this approach in past gens, but I guess you don't get an infinite amount of revenue off of nostalgia from one time purchases. 

Without day 1 first party releases + the inclusion of all of their first party games, I am certainly not interested in upgrading. I'll pass but should be good for those that want a lot of games in their PS library.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850