By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The rumor is finally true - PS+ and PSNow merger

Play Station Portable games is a nice suprise, I'm very happy about that. But I was hoping that rumor about Play Station 3 being playable right on the 5 was true.
Oh well, Right now I was on a the fence of going for Playstation Now to play some old games (Metal Gear 4, etc.) on top of my + sub; so this is def. going to work out well for me anyway, and I will have ot chekc the list of Play Station Portable games but if games like Tactic Ogre are on it.

Around the Network

So basically, nothing has changed. They just made it so you have to have PS+ if you want PS Now, and combined the two for their premium tier. All of this was nothing more than a PS Now rebranding with the hopes that brand loyalty and the illusion of it being something new will help push it. Even the pricing is the exact same as PS+ and PSNow together. If this was what people really wanted, they would have already subbed to PSNow to begin with.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Basically the same thing but under the Playstation Plus brand. Sony wants more Plus users to buy Playstation Now, so they changed the name a bit.

Bandorr said:

Question. Did sony ever compare it to Gamepass?

I've seen a LOT of writers do that. Then they are complaining that it can't compare to game pass (due to not day one exclusives.)
Leaving my the question.. Did Sony ever mention game pass?

The writers hyped it up. Then the writers (and readers) get angry at it.

Writers said that because Sony thenselves did refer to it as their answer to gamepass several months back.

Bandorr said:

I've seen a LOT of writers do that. Then they are complaining that it can't compare to game pass (due to not day one exclusives.)

I don't know if Sony ever placed it that way, but... we live in a world with Gamepass existing, so obviously people will compare it. I think this could have a much different reception, if it was made before the existance of Gamepass.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Bandorr said:

I don't know if Sony ever placed it that way, but... we live in a world with Gamepass existing, so obviously people will compare it. I think this could have a much different reception, if it was made before the existance of Gamepass.

Jim Ryan hinted at it back during the Bethesda acquisition.

https://twistedvoxel.com/sonys-jim-ryan-teases-response-game-pass-starfield/

When asked about a solution to gamepass...

“There is actually news to come, but just not today. We have PlayStation Now which is our subscription service, and that is available in a number of markets," said Jim Ryan.

He said there was news to come on it, and then directed people to PSNow.  He did not outright say it, but it is strongly implied.

The most interesting part of this for me is that streaming on PC is still supported which could become quite appealing to some as the 1st party lineup grows (for now it seems they are adding God of War, Spider-Man and Miles Morales. The first 2 have been on PC Now before, but only for 3 months each. Sounds like they're here to stay now).

This honestly is the perfect time for PS to expand their 1st party games into the PC market as the main downside that could hypothetically have had was lowering the demand for their consoles, but since they can't produce PS5s nearly fast enough to meet demand anyways, those extra software sales are pretty much just a win for them right now. Of course this here isn't a ton as long as it's only for streaming, so I'm hoping they also keep doing more ports. Quite frankly there might come a time where it's worthwhile for them to port every major 1st party game to PC, whether it's at launch or a year or so later, even with the extra time that requires.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Bandorr said:
Shiken said:

Jim Ryan hinted at it back during the Bethesda acquisition.

https://twistedvoxel.com/sonys-jim-ryan-teases-response-game-pass-starfield/

When asked about a solution to gamepass...

“There is actually news to come, but just not today. We have PlayStation Now which is our subscription service, and that is available in a number of markets," said Jim Ryan.

He said there was news to come on it, and then directed people to PSNow.  He did not outright say it, but it is strongly implied.

So the answer is no, thanks.  To go from (being asked directly about game pass) with the answer of "There is actually news to come, but just not today" and a very slight nod to PS now all the way to "Sony is releasing a Game Pass competitor" is a leap that not even Superman could make.

But I am impressed at the lengths people will go. They have a great imagination that I wouldn't be capable of keeping up with.

Your denial at his tease is really not suprising TBH.  To be asked about gamepass and say, "we have news, just not today" and not to associate the response as a hint to a gamepass competitor is a new level of willful ignorance.

Also, since it seems that PS Now users are upgraded to Playstation+ Premium at no extra charge despite the service being more expensive, if you bought 12 months of PS Now right now you could probably get PS+ Premium at nearly half price. Of course you can no longer buy it on the PS Store, but you can still get gift cards which I assume they wouldn't just stop accepting. Of course whether or not that bump in price is justified in the first place is hard to say before we know more.

Edit: The "bump" I mentioned is actually just the combined cost of PS Now and Plus, so yea if you only had PS Now, it seems you would get Plus added in for free.

Last edited by UnderwaterFunktown - on 29 March 2022

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Also, since it seems that PS Now users are upgraded to Playstation+ Premium at no extra charge despite the service being more expensive, if you bought 12 months of PS Now right now you could probably get PS+ Premium at nearly half price. Of course you can no longer buy it on the PS Store, but you can still get gift cards which I assume they wouldn't just stop accepting. Of course whether or not that bump in price is justified in the first place is hard to say before we know more.

Edit: The "bump" I mentioned is actually just the combined cost of PS Now and Plus, so yea if you only had PS Now, it seems you would get Plus added in for free.

But if all you want is PS Now, the service has basically raised it's price in the future.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]