By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Next Switch tech talk

Jumpin said:
eva01beserk said:

I think Nintendo is gona start planing their next hardware after these crazzy prises stabilise. Nintendo dosent even play at the thought of loosing money. So this could be a super long gen with the switch.

Nintendo started planning their next hardware years ago.

I'm sure. I was trying to say that they saw the cost of chips now and said no thank you we can wait. We will just make bank while things settle down then jump on what ever architectures are available at the time. Lets not kid ourselves but Nintendo is not gona go crazzy with their desing. Like the switch they will just buy a gen or 2 old chip from nvidea straight off the shelve. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
eva01beserk said:

I think Nintendo is gona start planing their next hardware after these crazzy prises stabilise. Nintendo dosent even play at the thought of loosing money. So this could be a super long gen with the switch.

TBH when I saw the MK8 Booster Pack I coundn't help but think it was last minute move to extend the Switch lifecyle.

It's quite uncommon to release a season pass so long after a game's release, and for sure I'm expecting MK9 to launch along with the Switch 2.

Probably the were planning to release the successor earlier but shortages made them postpone it.

Leynos said:

8 Core Hercules AMD78E up to 2GHZ

12GB LPDDR5 Ram at a bandwidth of 102GB

1024 Cuda Cores

DLSS 2.2

10-15 watts

800P OLED

1080P docked

$400

I's be happy with this. Can't expect a 4K Switch. That's crazy talk.

What I expect. Roughly between a base Xbox One and base PS4 with a few modern features. Would only have to render PS5/SX ports at 480P/540P native and be upscaled.

With those specs it would be already better than a base PS4, at least in docked mode.
I think it's realistic to aspect a 20-30% clock speed increase as well compared to Switch, considering the different processor node.

I think it's a good prediction anyway. I would personally think even a slightly larger GPU is doable, but I wouldn't expect more than 8GB of RAM.

For the screen, exactly the same used for the Switch OLED. As for supported resolutions it depends on the game...using DLSS some less demanding games may even run as high as 4K.

For the price 399$ seems right, being 349$ the absolute bare minimum.

I just hope that Nintendo is caring more about TV mode users in their next gen. Switch Lite and OLED were just an option for handheld users.

Backward compatibility is a must. I'd love to have faster loading times, but I don't know if it's possible to read the gamecards faster.

1080p60 in every game in TV mode would be fantastic. I don't really care about 4K. If it's upscaled I'm fine. Please put an option in the system settings that you want to prefer performance over resolution.

freebs2 said:
Leynos said:

8 Core Hercules AMD78E up to 2GHZ

12GB LPDDR5 Ram at a bandwidth of 102GB

1024 Cuda Cores

DLSS 2.2

10-15 watts

800P OLED

1080P docked

$400

I's be happy with this. Can't expect a 4K Switch. That's crazy talk.

What I expect. Roughly between a base Xbox One and base PS4 with a few modern features. Would only have to render PS5/SX ports at 480P/540P native and be upscaled.

With those specs it would be already better than a base PS4, at least in docked mode.
I think it's realistic to aspect a 20-30% clock speed increase as well compared to Switch, considering the different processor node.

I think it's a good prediction anyway. I would personally think even a slightly larger GPU is doable, but I wouldn't expect more than 8GB of RAM.

For the screen, exactly the same used for the Switch OLED. As for supported resolutions it depends on the game...using DLSS some less demanding games may even run as high as 4K.

For the price 399$ seems right, being 349$ the absolute bare minimum.

Specs I provided are the exact specs of the Orion Jetson NX chip.  Except the screen resolution and price. The 12 is down from 16GB. 8 cores is down from 12. 1024 cuda cores is down from 2048 of the main Oriin chip. Nintendo can't go with 8. 12 is very doable with LPDDR5 in a low power state.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

HDR is docked mode is the only thing the Switch doesn't have that I would want for sure in a new system. I don't really care about 4k but give me 1080p 60fps with beautiful hdr color that really makes Mario and Zelda pop will make me happy.

By the time 2024 comes around and a Switch successor has launched mobile hardware will be at a point where it could match the performance of a Series S, yes. However, expecting this to be in a product that is supposed to sell for sub-400 and powered by 10-15 watts is not likely to happen. Nintendo's history with mobile hardware shows that they aren't going to go for the most powerful product, and the recent Nvidia leak practically confirms this.

That being said, there is additional information that I would like to share. We know that the leak mentions Orin, but many don't know that the CUDA core count was found as well. It's about 1500 for the CUDA core count. GA10B has 2048 CUDA Cores with 4TFLOPS of FP32 compute @1Ghz. Given the information about the core count, Switch 2 will be capable of about 3TFLOPS of FP32 compute @1Ghz. That said, DON'T expect 1Ghz. If the Switch 2 follows it's predecessor then the clock speeds will be pretty sharply reduced (i.e. about 307Mhz-768Mhz. Therefore, portably we can expect around 1TFLOPS of performance, and docked we will get about 2.5TFLOPS docked performance. Provided all of the information in the leaks is up to date and accurate (remember things do change). Personally, I think this is VERY good even if it doesn't match the power of the Series S.

Leynos said:

The 12 is down from 16GB.

You do realize that will impact memory bandwidth? Essentially 8GB can run at full speed, the extra 4GB at a lower speed...

8 is doable... But will hold the system back, especially with how dram hungry Sony and Nintendo's operating systems tend to be for the features on offer.
It's also Nintendo though, they don't like to be cutting edge.

Doctor_MG said:

By the time 2024 comes around and a Switch successor has launched mobile hardware will be at a point where it could match the performance of a Series S, yes. However, expecting this to be in a product that is supposed to sell for sub-400 and powered by 10-15 watts is not likely to happen. Nintendo's history with mobile hardware shows that they aren't going to go for the most powerful product, and the recent Nvidia leak practically confirms this.

That being said, there is additional information that I would like to share. We know that the leak mentions Orin, but many don't know that the CUDA core count was found as well. It's about 1500 for the CUDA core count. GA10B has 2048 CUDA Cores with 4TFLOPS of FP32 compute @1Ghz. Given the information about the core count, Switch 2 will be capable of about 3TFLOPS of FP32 compute @1Ghz. That said, DON'T expect 1Ghz. If the Switch 2 follows it's predecessor then the clock speeds will be pretty sharply reduced (i.e. about 307Mhz-768Mhz. Therefore, portably we can expect around 1TFLOPS of performance, and docked we will get about 2.5TFLOPS docked performance. Provided all of the information in the leaks is up to date and accurate (remember things do change). Personally, I think this is VERY good even if it doesn't match the power of the Series S.

TFLOPS doesn't tell us the hardwares performance.

Nor does it need to match the Series S in TFLOPS to outperform it.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

A 2024 release 12GB cut from 16 is still conservative. I should also mention the Jetson NX uses 128 bit ram.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

eva01beserk said:
Jumpin said:

I'm sure. I was trying to say that they saw the cost of chips now and said no thank you we can wait. We will just make bank while things settle down then jump on what ever architectures are available at the time. Lets not kid ourselves but Nintendo is not gona go crazzy with their desing. Like the switch they will just buy a gen or 2 old chip from nvidea straight off the shelve. 

I'd agree with what you're saying (it's a rational deduction) if it wasn't inconsistent with Nintendo's messaging and budgeting. They bumped up R&D costs a significant amount in FY2020 and 2021, reaching about 880 million USD - about 40% higher than a couple of years earlier, the highest they've ever been. Shuntaro Furukawa commented on the R&D increase last year: "Although mid way through Switch cycle it is necessary to invest in the next platform, where hardware and software integrated will continue."

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.