By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Next Switch tech talk

freebs2 said:
eva01beserk said:

I'm sure. I was trying to say that they saw the cost of chips now and said no thank you we can wait. We will just make bank while things settle down then jump on what ever architectures are available at the time. Lets not kid ourselves but Nintendo is not gona go crazzy with their desing. Like the switch they will just buy a gen or 2 old chip from nvidea straight off the shelve

Why though? Their home consoles always had custom or semi-custom designs, even the WiiU.
Switch was kind of an exception in that regard, but it was a different situation. The Switch was (still) an unproven concept and Nintendo was coming after two of their biggest flops to date. The tegra X1 chip was sort of a low hanging fruit, considering Nvidia already spent R&D on it and they didn't found too many use cases back then.

This time Nintendo has proven the potential of the Switch form factor both internally and to Nvidia. Considering the sales volume we are talking about I'd say it's in the best interest of both parties to use an optimal design for the use case. At the same time of course they won't reinvent the wheel, it's most likely going to be a semi-custom solution.

I wanted that for so long. But there was a rumor around of nvidea pushing for Nintendo to upgrade cuz they wanted to push their new architecture and nintendo was like no thanks were good. I honestly think Nintendo realised that their brand does not depend on power like the other 2. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:

interesting debates so far on what people think it will be.

Does anyone actually think they will try to add some additional GPU/CPU hardware into the dock this time around to be able to get 4k, with a bit of help for DLSS?

I doubt it. The most likely thing I see hapening is they have active cooling on the dock. That way they can overclock it a lot more in dock mode. That might actually be good as i think the switch even docked dosent get to the highest clock the tegra can reach. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:

Congrats. You decided to completly ignore that he said its true but we have no other info. Great debating skills. 

And? Who cares. I debated the points presented.

You are missing my point however.. .That flops is essentially useless unless you understand it's purpose... And 99% of forum respondents don't. It's a buzzword.

freebs2 said:

It's not a random number since the Switch 2 is supposedly based on Ampere architecture and Ampere GPUs are modular.

Even before the "GPU" existed, video cards tended to be highly scalable in terms of functional units.

freebs2 said:

That said I wouldn't trust too much rumors atm as it seems they are based more guesswork based on similar known architectures. TBH 1.536 cores seem like a lot for essentially a mobile device based with an 8nm chip, I would say that would be absolutely the upper limit.

I disagree. 1536 is very low-end in this day and age... nVidia doesn't even make an RTX GPU with that amount of functional units.

I think there will be a hit to clockrates, no doubt. Mobile always does.

freebs2 said:

I remember there was some talk around a patent for Supplemental Computing Devices (SCD) sometime ago.

But in hindsight it doesn't make too much practical sense on paper since it would mean creating and maintaining different production lines for 2 different chips (one for the console and one for the dock), designing and producing two different heating dispersion systems, and they would need to find a suitable connector for ensuring sufficient data bandwidth between the two processors.

In the end if the use case is the new next gen console, it would be a more effective solution to simply design and produce a more expensive chip on the console (for example using a single chip based on 5nm node rather than using 2 chips based on 8nm).

Even if the use case is simply extending the lifecycle of the current Switch 1 for TV users, it would make more sense to simply release TV-only version of the console that integrates both the CPU and a larger GPU on a single larger chip rather than connecting the Switch to a power dock with a smaller GPU chip.

You might as well sell us two consoles. A fixed home console and a portable based on the same hardware.

I think Nintendos approach with scalable clockrates is the best approach honestly.

Slownenberg said:

I'm not technical on this stuff but in old threads from years ago commenting on that idea people who seemed to be more technical would always say it wouldn't be possible I guess because the connection between the Switch and the dock isn't fast enough to allow such a thing.

Correct... The current Switch piggybacks off USB which isn't fast enough or low-latency enough to handle the data required to be transmitted between both devices.

But if a Switch 2 doesn't use the USB protocol and uses something like... PCI-Express, then it would become technically possible.

But I think the general consensus today is that multi-GPU approaches are a waste of time and effort... It doesn't scale linearly and it increases developer burden and thus the likelihood of erratic performance and bugs. (This coming from someone who used to run with 4x Radeon in crossfire at one point.)

Captain_Yuri said:

I think it's unlikely to happen because it will add too much cost with not much gain unless they really want to jack the price up. USB4 is certainly fast enough to support external GPUs but having portable device that has it's own GPU + another GPU in the dock within a $400 price point is asking too much imo. And idk if people are willing to pay $450-$500.

I think one reasonable way they could pull it off is to ship the base dock without any GPU and such but with HDMI and etc similar to the Switch but they can sell docks with more powerful GPUs separately. But I don't think Nintendo is the type of company to go that hard into hardware and assuming the Switch 2 has DLSS, it can do wonders even upscaling from low resolutions to 4k.

USB 4 Gen 3x1, Gen 2x2, Gen 2x1 is the same bandwidth as USB 3's variants. That is... 1.2 to 2.4GB/s. Just different encoding.

USB 4 Gen 3x2 doubles things to 4.8GB/s. Which is still not fast enough.
Keep in mind it's got to transmit more than just display or audio data.

USB can take 125ms or more for a transaction.
30fps needs 32.2ms. 16.7ms for 60fps. - Starting to see an issue?

eva01beserk said:

I doubt it. The most likely thing I see hapening is they have active cooling on the dock. That way they can overclock it a lot more in dock mode. That might actually be good as i think the switch even docked dosent get to the highest clock the tegra can reach. 

Nowhere near it infact.

The Switch tops out at 768Mhz... And people have taken the Switch and overclocked it to 921Mhz. And it can definitely scale above even that as Maxwell Tegra will happily run at 1.26Ghz when allowed.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

On chip power, I'm not up to speed (nor anywhere near an expert) on how powerful Nvidia chips are going to be in the next 2-3 years. But when subtracting the Apple tax, it doesn't seem out of the ballpark that Switch could have something more powerful than the basic M1 caliber SoC which is:
CPU - 8 cores at 3.2 GHz
GPU - 8 cores
RAM - 8 GB
This combined with a 256 GB solid state drive
The Mac mini costs 649 USD, the Macbook Air costs 849 USD. Surely Nintendo and Nvidia could bring out something greater than this power for much cheaper in 2023-2026.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

We already have a good idea about which chip Nintendo will use. Yesterday nVidia announced the cheapest Orin chip, the NX. 6 core CPU, 1024 GPU cores, Ampere, 8GB LPDDR5. It's very cheap (1/4 the cost of the full Orin chip). It would be a good Steam Deck competitor, and with carefully written software exceed it. I expect that's what we will get.

Personally I just want Nintendo to grab an RTX 3060 type product and stick that in a $400 console, desktop only. It would be easy to do since no DVD drive or hard drive is required, making it even cheaper to make than the PS5 digital. Let people add their own hard drives and storage like the Switch. It would be a true hybrid, since you could play all your Switch games and all the PS5 level games. The Switch people call it a hybrid, but really all it does is play mobile level graphical games. So it is a mobile only system, very limiting. See how that works? A desktop system is actually not limiting. Sure you can't carry it around, but it can play twice as many games. A DESKTOP CAN PLAY MOBILE AND DESKTOP GAMES.

The Radeon 7870 in the PS4 was more expensive than the RTX 3060, and yet the PS4 had it, plus a lot of expensive add-ons (optical drive, hard drive, and CPU cores). RTX 3060+6 ARM cores, done. Voila. Cheap and fast desktop home console.

But if we can't have that, we'll get the Orin NX.

Last edited by Alistair - on 24 March 2022

Around the Network

I really feel it's this https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/jetson-orin Jetson NX

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

I really feel it's this https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/jetson-orin Jetson NX

I think you are dead on man. If I had to guess, it would be the Jetson NX 16GB.

Pemalite said:

Yes they can.
Although I would hope not.
There isn't a need for an OS to gobble 4GB of DRAM on a handheld... That is a waste of power and resources.

No it doesn't.
A GPU with less Teraflops can outperform a GPU with more Teraflops in gaming.

It is a hypothetical denominator, not a real world one.

What about INT4, INT8, INT16, FP8, FP16, FP64? Your "teraflops" doesn't tell us squat about those... A game may not use single precision floating point (FP32) at all, it may use FP16, sidestepping your Teraflop counts entirely... Which is a likely proposition in the handheld space due to performance/battery life reasons.

What about Pixel/Geometry/Texture fillrates? Again. Teraflops tells us nothing about those.

At the end of the day... If we take a Radeon 5870 at 2.72 Teraflops and compare it against the Radeon 7850 at 1.76 Teraflops... By your measure and assumption, the Radeon 5870 would win due to having almost an extra Teraflop of FP32? You would be wrong.
They even have the same DRAM bandwidth of 153.6GB/s.

But the 7850 is indeed faster.
Don't take my word for it: https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/511?vs=549

And that is comparing GPU's from the same company... Things get even crazier if we start to compare AMD and nVidia.

Doesn't need to match it in raw power. Again... TFLOPS doesn't tell the entire story.

Efficiency is far more important than brute force.
nVidia tends to engineer it's GPU's to do as little work as possible ironically, hence their efficiency jump with Maxwell.

Saying TFLOPS don't mean anything is like saying clock frequency doesn't mean anything, or core count, or really any one variable of a computer. It's just a ridiculous assertion. It isn't everything, it isn't even most things, but it gives you an idea of the hardware's capabilities. This is why, generation after generation, FLOPS increase substantially. Because they are correlated with gaming capability, it's just not 1:1. 

Also, we do know FP16 performance given the above information. We don't know TOPS, but we can assume it'll be less than 200 (probably 100) based on what we know about Orin. We can attempt to calculate the TMU's based on what we know about Orin though. Orin also has a maximum of 16 SM's. However, the GPU that is closest to the calculated TFLOPS that I provided has 14 SM's. Given that the RTX-20 line has 4 TMU's per SM, we are looking at a maximum of 64 Gtexels, with a likelihood of 56 Gtexels/s if we stick with the 1Ghz frequency. The thing is it wont be that frequency. We don't know about ROP units, but I don't think I've seen any GPU with higher ROP count than TMU count, so 56 Gpixels/s is really the maximum here. The Series S has a pixel rate of 50GPixels/s and a texture rate of 125 GTexels/s. Unless Nintendo has no customization of the card (e.g. doesn't reduce ROPs) and doesn't decrease the frequency (reduction will absolutely happen) then we know it isn't going to match the Series S GPU. It can get close on the pixel rate side, but it'll be behind on the texture rate. 

But, again, a lot of this is guess work and the only substantive evidence we have is TFLOPS (which freebs2 brought to my attention may not actually be substantive). We have information on Orin that isn't about TFLOPS, which is what I'm using a lot of my guesswork about. So the above is what I'm basing my knowledge on with it not being equivalent to Series S in raw power. And, sure, raw power isn't everything, but there is nothing that we can factually discuss that isn't related to raw power in this time. 

freebs2 said:

I've read 1.536 core count some time ago as well (6 times the Switch), but if I'm remembering correctly it was more of a guess from the leaker.
It's not a random number since the Switch 2 is supposedly based on Ampere architecture and Ampere GPUs are modular. That is exactly the count of a single Ampere GPU processing cluster (the RTX3080 has 7 for example).

About clock speeds it's reasonable to expect lower clocks compared to OEM form factors (considering both the size of the device and battery constraints) but it's also reasonable to expect higher clock rates compared to Switch1 due to improvements in the chip manufacturing technology. Remember the Switch1 was originally designed around a 20nm chip, here we are talking at least of 8nm.

That said I wouldn't trust too much rumors atm as it seems they are based more guesswork based on similar known architectures. TBH 1.536 cores seem like a lot for essentially a mobile device based with an 8nm chip, I would say that would be absolutely the upper limit.

Hmm interesting. When I was doing some digging I thought that it was confirmed, but it does seem like it is an assumption and the source of the assumption isn't quite known. Still, I don't think that number is really that crazy, though I do agree it would be the upper limit. I don't think we would essentially be getting an off shelf T234. Too much power draw even if you were to cut the frequency. 

I'm not sure about the lower clock frequencies. Yes, it's definitely true that it will have more power per watt, but that doesn't necessarily mean the power necessary for the chip to function at these frequencies wont be high. Lastly, I would assume that the Orin chip will be bulkier than the X1, which may necessitate a smaller battery for a conservative form factor. 

Honestly, you're right though. There are just so many variables, so even though the leak tells us it's Orin, it's not really narrowing down what the Switch 2 will be capable of my as much as everyone would hope. 

Darc Requiem said:
Leynos said:

I think you are dead on man. If I had to guess, it would be the Jetson NX 16GB.

Yeah that's the one I was talking about. I don't think we'll get the 16GB model though. I mean, the Deck has 16GB so Nintendo could do it, but you could technically port PS5 level games to an 8GB system with worse textures and a lower resolution. I'd like the 16GB though. I think textures are great looking, and don't lower FPS performance. If Valve can do it, why not Nintendo. LPDDR5 must be dropping in price a lot recently.

8GB or 16GB, the important part is getting 4x the memory bandwidth you can finally handle 1080p / 60 fps.