By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Happy 5th Birthday Switch! (Your Top Fives)

What year did you get your Switch?

Year one 42 77.78%

Year two 4 7.41%

Year three 0 0%

Year four 3 5.56%

Year five 2 3.70%

Don’t have one 3 5.56%

Total:54

Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey
Yoshi's Crafted World
Okami HD
Powerslave Exhumed

Around the Network

Ok, here we go:

1) Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (massive DK fan, I'm playing the game over and over)
2) Metroid Dread (fantastic atmosphere)
3) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
4) Luigi's Mansion 3
5) Super Mario Odyssey

Day 1 guy here.
Favourite games:

1. Breath of the Wild
2. Witcher 3
3. Stardew Valley
4. Animal Crossing New Horizons
5. Super Mario Kart Deluxe

Other games I want to mention that COULD be on my top 5 on other days: Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, Story of Seasons Friends of Olive Town, Hollow Knight, Don’t Starve, Final Fantasy 7, 8, and X remastered, Project Highrise (I don’t recommend it - but if you like the Sim Tower niche, highly recommend), Romancing Saga games, ActRaiser, Ring Fit Adventure, A Case of Distrust, Kairosoft games, Catherine Full Body, Saga collection.

And there are a lot of great games on Switch I haven’t played. The sheer volume of great content is overwhelming.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

5 years into the Switch's life and I find this to be a pretty difficult feat. There have been so many experiences on the Switch that have been my favorite game at the moment, but probably couldn't be considered a top 5 or even top 10 title. To me the Switch is the sum of all those moments and trying to break those apart doesn't do the console or its library justice. Now the same can easily be said for any console, especially anything from Sony or Microsoft these past few generations, but since I went all digital on Switch I've just played more games. I haven't been afraid to try out little games at the magical $1.99 price point. I won't be including those games here, but they've been a ton of fun. The pendulum between realistic gaming and cartoony gaming has finally hit a balance point where all of us get exactly what we want, with so much left over in our backlogs.

But anyway, enough of that. Here's my top 5s.

Top 5 Switch Games
1. Breath of the Wild
2. Super Mario Odyssey
3. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
4. Metroid Dread
5 Rocket League

Top 5 Indie Games
1. Hollow Knight
2. Steamworld Dig 2
3. Stardew Valley
4. Short Hike
5. Astroneer (even though I'm currently stuck in a game ending bug. The amount of game I played and truly enjoyed is pretty amazing.)

Top 5 Multiplayer
1. Rocket League
2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
4. Smash Bros Ultimate
5. Rocket League (I know I cheated, but Rocket League is my go to for competitive multiplayer and it is a jealous mistress)

Thanks, everyone for sharing your lists. I'm pretty proud of Nintendo and their success with the Switch, as I know so many of us are here, for sticking to their guns and continuing to make great games and ecosystems for magical experiences. Even in Nintendo's off years they always managed to make some of the greatest games of each generation, and it feels so good that this time they managed to have amazing success while staying true to the core gaming experience. Nothing has been lost this go around, unless you're a graphics purist who wants Nintendo to return to the Gamecube era of being on the cutting edge of technology. For myself, though, the Switch is absolutely good enough, if not downright amazing.

Only had the Switch for about a year now but of what Ive played

1. Mario Party Superstars
2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Super Mario Odyssey
4. Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening
5. Pokemon Legends Arceus

Around the Network

Today is the day, five years with my Switch. Started off with BotW plus Snipperclips and they both have a soft spot in my heart.

Top Five Retails

1. TLoZ: BotW
  2. Luigi's Mansion 3
  3. 51 Worldwide Games
  4. Astral Chain
  5. Two Point Hospital

Let's not forget 1-2 Switch, PuyoPuyo Tetris, SMOdyssey, Sonic Mania, ... and many more.

Top Five Downloads

1. Rocket League
  2. Celeste
  3. WHAT THE GOLF?
  4. Bad North
  5. Hollow Knight

Special mention to shorties like INSIDE or Abzu.

Top Ten Multiplayers

1. Flat Heroes
  2. Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!!
  3. Overcooked! 2
  4. Kingdom Two Crowns
  5. Snipperclips
  6. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
  7. Streets of Rage 4
  8. Spelunker Party
  9. Untitled Goose Game
  10. WarioWare: Get it Together!

Also had great fun playing Luigi's Mansion and Sky in co-op, but wanted to mention this Top 10.

---

For five more years!

Last edited by TomaTito - on 03 March 2022

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

You aren't lying about rocket league obsession etecoon... Apparently you have over 2k hours unless you just left the game running days.

sethnintendo said:

You aren't lying about rocket league obsession etecoon... Apparently you have over 2k hours unless you just left the game running days.

I forgot that other folks can look at the info?  Seriously, that is some major time logged.  And I'm proud to say I have stubbornly only ever paid $20 for the game (it wasn't a free title at launch).  To me the best analogue I have for the game is that it is like chess: very simple to pick up and play and learn the rules, but maddingly complicated to master.  And I definitely haven't achieved mastery or anywhere close in those 2,000 hours.

This game has brought something to my attention that I had never considered:

I am a sucker for these quirky car racing/combat games.  I never gave them the credit they deserve, but in almost every generation they are the games that take up most of my time.  RC Pro-Am/Cobra Triangle on the NES, Twisted Metal/Road Trip on the PS1, Smuggler's Run/ATV Off Road Fury on the PS2, Excite Truck/Excite Bots on the Wii, Mario Kart 8 on the WiiU, and now Rocket League.  There's just something about the flow of these games that always makes me feel more free than other titles.  That being said, none of these car games make me rage quit as much as Rocket League.  How I have that many hours considering the fact that sometimes I only have it in me to play two games in a row is a definite feat.

Had the Switch since day 1. Probably going to end up my favourite console of all time, SW wise. Joy con drift has been a real pain tho and i feel it should be mentioned.
Top 5 SW;- 1. Smash bros. u
2. Animal Crossing NH
3. BOTW
4. Legends Arceus
5. Pokemon LG Eevee.
Top 5 multi;- 1. Smash
2. Mk8D
3. Mario tennis aces
4. Wario ware
5. Mario party superstars.
Top 5 Indie:- 1. Horizon Chase turbo
2. untitled goose game
3. Rush rally 3
4. Beach buggy racing
5. Hot shot racing

MK8D would be higher on both lists but we had already played it to death on the Wii u :(

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

WOW, so many games.....

1. Breath of the Wild
2. Super Mario Odyssey
3. Mario + Rabbids
4. Age of Calamity
5. Little Nightmares 1+2

Must remember:

ARMS (I loved it)
Fenyx Rising
Luigi Mansion 3

Switch!!!