By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Top 104M - Global Hardware Feb 6-12

Switch pulling in nearly 400k in a regular non-holiday week without a major release, on the verge its 5th birthday, just insane.

Also, Switch above PS5 and XS combined and nearly double PS5 in Europe of all places is just weird to see, as much I get the reasons why.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 21 February 2022

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

on the hardware by date page the PSVita line continues to show till now, as well as the 3DS .. shouldn't this be fixed ?

Kakadu18 said:

I find it amusing how close the XBS is to the PS5 in Asia.

Looking at the Japan numbers, I never thought I'd see the day a current PlayStation console outsells a current Xbox console in Japan by less than 500 units in a week. 

Maybe there was a time during the PS3 and 360 days where the 360 had a really close week in Japan, but I don't know. 

PlayStation has been giving up more and more in Japan since at least 2016. Xbox on the other hand sees the growth of Game Pass (console and PC) in Japan, as well as the growth of their hardware business in Japan. 

PlayStation is shipping aggressively to North America due to stiff competition with Xbox. Historically, Xbox takes first (Xbox 360) or second place in the Americas (that is if you factor the Xbox One competing with just PS4 and Wii U and exclude the Switch). 

For PlayStation's sake, hopefully they keep Europe a massive priority like they usually have. I also think they should invest in Japan a lot more. 

I'm surprised Xbox One still managed 1,830 this week since it was recently confirmed that the Xbox One was discontinued at the end of 2020. I would've expected Xbox One to be down to about 900-1,000 a week at this point as the last shipments are sold. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I wonder if there's a slight possibility to see the Switch completely outselling both the XSe and PS5 once Strikers comes for the Switch on June. It could potentially be the "FIFA" moment the Switch needed to propel itself high in the european territory ...

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Switch did nearly 400k on a week where nothing special happened, and it also passed 104M.  Folks, the Switch cliff is never going to come.  I hope most people realize this now.  If you are hoping for a Switch cliff, then abandon all hope now.

People are thinking Switch will plummet quickly like certain past systems, i.e. the Wii or DS (eventually).  The Switch is actually performing like a past system, but that system is the NES/Famicom.  That is the last time that Nintendo could focus all of its resources on supporting one system.  It was also the most dominant system in history, at least in Japan and US.  The Switch is a return to form.  It's just as dominant in Japan as the Famicom, and it's doing extremely well in the other parts of the world.  The NES sold for several years after the SNES launched.  Expect the Switch to keep selling too.

Mar1217 said:

I wonder if there's a slight possibility to see the Switch completely outselling both the XSe and PS5 once Strikers comes for the Switch on June. It could potentially be the "FIFA" moment the Switch needed to propel itself high in the european territory ...

I do think Switch can do this if they can keep supply up.  However, I think the FIFA-like title you should be looking at is Switch Sports.  It can pull in real life football/soccer fans that do not play FIFA video games.

Around the Network

Gotta also wonder if the 2K LEGO Football game which is set to release this year will also be having Switch as one of the platforms kinda of funny that Nintendo & 2K end up eating EA & Konami's lunch on the Switch.

People commenting PS5 sales: the figures you see are litteraly the production numbers, nothing else. Everything is instantely sold out, there is nothing to comment or compare or try to understand a trend beside Sony's production capacity.

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

Pandemic is just choking Sony out. Imagine how fast they'd be going if they could up their production. Could easily be 25m+ by now but there's no way to know the ceiling on this thing until they stop nearly instantly selling out somewhere. No end in sight either so by the end of this they're probably gonna end up 10s of millions of units short from where they could've been

I am Iron Man

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch 2022 Sales Comparison Charts Through February 12

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and three legacy platforms (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo 3DS) over comparable periods for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2019 – (Week ending January 12 to February 16)

2020 – (Week ending January 11 to February 15)

2021 – (Week ending January 9 to February 13)

2022 – (Week ending January 8 to February 12)

"Year to date" sales for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2022 versus 2021 and 2022 versus 2020 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox Series X|S – Up Year-on-Year 265,943 (43.4%)
  • Xbox One – Down Year-on-Year 145,462 (-91.8%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch - Down Year-on-Year 361,827 (-14.5%)

Sony

• PlayStation 5 – Down Year-on-Year 80,284 (-7.7%)
  • PlayStation 4 – Down Year-on-Year 388,199 (-79.7%)

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Switch did nearly 400k on a week where nothing special happened, and it also passed 104M.  Folks, the Switch cliff is never going to come.  I hope most people realize this now.  If you are hoping for a Switch cliff, then abandon all hope now.

People are thinking Switch will plummet quickly like certain past systems, i.e. the Wii or DS (eventually).  The Switch is actually performing like a past system, but that system is the NES/Famicom.  That is the last time that Nintendo could focus all of its resources on supporting one system.  It was also the most dominant system in history, at least in Japan and US.  The Switch is a return to form.  It's just as dominant in Japan as the Famicom, and it's doing extremely well in the other parts of the world.  The NES sold for several years after the SNES launched.  Expect the Switch to keep selling too.

Most people realized this years ago, it's mainly just brought up as a joke.