By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PlayStation Studios and Nintendo Entertainment Planning and Development - Which is the better first party group?

PotentHerbs said:

The perception of Sony games being "MCU lite" recently is in part because of their focus on PSVR starting in 2017.

Many of the smaller, more niche titles, that some PlayStation fans want were directed towards VR. The majority of their development teams started to move onto PS5 development in 2018. All that was left in the pipeline was blockbuster releases, a few smaller titles, & the yearly MLB game. Heading into this generation, SIE will be focused on the PS5, without having to split off resources for a handheld, partnering and acquiring various VR & multiplayer teams, while internally growing their studios, with Sony Corp ready to spend big on their gaming division. 

The PS5 is shaping up to be PS3 levels of variety, with a focus on high quality blockbuster releases, complimented by PC ports and multimedia adaptations that could push their tentpole IP into the 25 - 30+ Million club.

Let's hope so.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:
shikamaru317 said:

Based purely on personal taste, Sony definitely has the stronger 1st party, their high budget, high graphics story driven 3rd person action-adventure titles are mostly great, though I do wish their 1st party had a bit more variety. Nintendo on the other hand, really doesn't have all that much that interests me 1st party wise, Pokemon is technically 2nd party, and I'm not all that fond of any of their actual 1st party IP's, though Xenoblade has piqued my interest of late as I liked that Xenoblade 3 trailer on the recent direct. I would love to see Nintendo branch out and try their hand at more mature, story driven IP like Sony and MS specialize in.

There's Fire Emblem, Metroid, Astral Chain, Bayonetta (though the IP is technically owned by Sega, Nintendo produced the sequels), and the Famicom Detective Club games.

The OP was about EPD, none of these games except maybe Famicom Detective Club (I don't know who is the dev here) are EPD.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

IcaroRibeiro said:
Agente42 said:

VR gaming is an extended dude-bro machine. 

Sony doesn´t have more concern to launch games for another public than cinematograph action. On PSX and PS2, Sony has this concern, Japan Studio is a big front not only launches games but galvanized the third parties to do the same. The major concern for sony now in the West, the big AAA games, and whale sales with Live Service. The red ocean between Sony and Microsoft make one try to go Live Service and another push the Gamepass.

You have exceptions, yeah, agreed with you, but the main focus for first-party Sony is AAA cinematograph games, Returnal, one indie games sony effort have cinematograph zeitgeist. 

I will assume dude-bro means males between 18 and 36 years old 

41% of PS4 and PS5 users are women 

42,5% of PS4 and PS5 users have less than 18 years or more than 36 years

Sony used to be a dude-bro Machine during PS1 era where 82% of its owners were male and 56% between 18 and 36 years, today their audience is wide because PS store has the highest amount of gaming software outside PCs, and they have any kind of game really

Actually the Switch eshop has more games.

Hynad said:
Agente42 said:

VR gaming is an extended dude-bro machine. 

Sony doesn´t have more concern to launch games for another public than cinematograph action. On PSX and PS2, Sony has this concern, Japan Studio is a big front not only launches games but galvanized the third parties to do the same. The major concern for sony now in the West, the big AAA games, and whale sales with Live Service. The red ocean between Sony and Microsoft make one try to go Live Service and another push the Gamepass.

You have exceptions, yeah, agreed with you, but the main focus for first-party Sony is AAA cinematograph games, Returnal, one indie games sony effort have cinematograph zeitgeist. 

Humour me. Please explain what you mean by "dude-bro"?

The rest of your comments here are so shallow and narrow minded, I wonder if you know anything about what you’re trying to talk about.

Closed Japan Studio.

Losing the Japanese market to Nintendo, and starting to lose the East Asian market as well.

Moved headquarters to California and all the fuss about "X" and "O", censorship of many niche games that were successful games on the Playstation platform.

Buy a company, Bungie, a shooter Dude-bro game maker, with the intention of strengthening the live service side.

All clear actions to focus on West AAA production, exemplifies the dude-bro.

The red ocean market with Microsoft intensifies.

First-party Sony has a laser focus on cinematograph games production, this is a discussion, not from third parties, but from first-party Sony.

The worst is an arrogant guy, he thinks he knows a lot, but when he goes to criticize, only personal attacks appear. Just rhetoric, no exemplification, no counterpoints, just superficial and pathetic aggression

Last edited by Agente42 - on 17 February 2022

Mnementh said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

There's Fire Emblem, Metroid, Astral Chain, Bayonetta (though the IP is technically owned by Sega, Nintendo produced the sequels), and the Famicom Detective Club games.

The OP was about EPD, none of these games except maybe Famicom Detective Club (I don't know who is the dev here) are EPD.

Metroid Dread was co-developed by EPD and most of the the previous Metroid games were developed by internal Nintendo studios (the OP was also about Monolith and Retro).

Around the Network
Agente42 said:
Hynad said:

Humour me. Please explain what you mean by "dude-bro"?

The rest of your comments here are so shallow and narrow minded, I wonder if you know anything about what you’re trying to talk about.

Closed Japan Studio.

Losing the Japanese market to Nintendo, and starting to lose the East Asian market as well.

Moved headquarters to California and all the fuss about "X" and "O", censorship of many niche games that were successful games on the Playstation platform.

Buy a company, Bungie, a shooter Dude-bro game maker, with the intention of strengthening the live service side.

All clear actions to focus on West AAA production, exemplifies the dude-bro.

The red ocean market with Microsoft intensifies.

First-rate Sony has a laser focus on cinematograph games production, this is a discussion, not from third parties, but from first-rate sony.

The worst is an arrogant guy, he thinks he knows a lot, but when he goes to criticize, only personal attacks appear. Just rhetoric, no exemplification, no counterpoints, just superficial and pathetic aggression

Over 80% of software sales from Playstation are from third parties. They need less cross appeal in their games because third parties make things up for them, almost everyone wants to release their games on PlayStation, it's the console know how having big 3rd party support and diversity in catalogue, instead of the "dude bro" mindshare the correct mindshare is: You buy a Playstation and you know you get everything you want that isn't a MS or Nintendo first party

And your argument about censorship makes no sense, what is the correlation between censorship of hentai games and being a dude-bro machine ? Hentai games sells directly to straight young males, it's their target audience, if all that Sony wanted was to appease this audience they wouldn't have applied censorship at all 

You display the exact same idea that people who says "Nintendo are for kiddos", except you are the Playstation version of this, something like: "Playstation are for straight male white teenagers"

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 17 February 2022

Kakadu18 said:
Mnementh said:

Metroid Dread was co-developed by EPD and most of the the previous Metroid games were developed by internal Nintendo studios (the OP was also about Monolith and Retro).

Fair enough.

Mnementh said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

EPD handles all software development at Nintendo, not just internal development. Astral Chain, Fire Emblem, and Metroid all had production oversight from EPD. EPD is basically Nintendo's equivalent to PlayStation Studios.

TheMisterManGuy said:
Mnementh said:

EPD handles all software development at Nintendo, not just internal development. Astral Chain, Fire Emblem, and Metroid all had production oversight from EPD. EPD is basically Nintendo's equivalent to PlayStation Studios.

That is true as I recall Astral Chain has EPD staff as both Producers and Directors of the game same with Fire Emblem.

Wyrdness said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

That is true as I recall Astral Chain has EPD staff as both Producers and Directors of the game same with Fire Emblem.

They also helped with the concept design of Astral Chain.