By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PlayStation Studios and Nintendo Entertainment Planning and Development - Which is the better first party group?

Kakadu18 said:
Hynad said:

Not at all. The Wii U proved that Nintendo had to react, cut the console’s expected lifetime short, and come up with a new product because it didn’t take off and was definitely struggling.

The Wii U didn't have Pokémon and many other franchises that released on 3DS or not at all that gen. With their Switch output they could survive way better on their own.

The ironic thing about the WiiU is that it was the platform Nintendo left things more to third parties even down to feedback on what to add this is highlighted in how third party wise it had one of the best first years of any Nintendo platform in terms of releases from COD, AC, Arkham, Mass Effect 3, ZombiU, Ninja Gaiden, Rayman etc... The second Nintendo went back to doing what they wanted and pushed their first party output with the Switch their fortunes did a 180.

When you look at the top sellers on Switch only the likes of Minecraft and MH Rise can even compare in selling power to the first party.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Kakadu18 said:

The Wii U didn't have Pokémon and many other franchises that released on 3DS or not at all that gen. With their Switch output they could survive way better on their own.

The ironic thing about the WiiU is that it was the platform Nintendo left things more to third parties even down to feedback on what to add this is highlighted in how third party wise it had one of the best first years of any Nintendo platform in terms of releases from COD, AC, Arkham, Mass Effect 3, ZombiU, Ninja Gaiden, Rayman etc... The second Nintendo went back to doing what they wanted and pushed their first party output with the Switch their fortunes did a 180.

When you look at the top sellers on Switch only the likes of Minecraft and MH Rise can even compare in selling power to the first party.

Nintendo systems sell mainly due to their 1st party offering, not the 3rd party offerings. It's the complete opposite to Xbox and PS that sell mainly on 3rd party. Nintendo's 1st party offering on Wii U didn't look good until 2014, but by then it was too late. They couldn't pull a 3DS situation where in it's 1st year they cut the 3DS's price by $80 and offered back to back holiday bangers Mario Kart 7 and Mario 3D Land (and in Japan Monster Hunter 3). I think Nintendo knew they needed a big 1st year to really sell the Switch and it paid off. So much so 2017 is still looked at as the best year for the Switch (1st Party wise) to this day. This year (2022) might be able to surpass it from what we know is coming.

Hynad said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Wii U era proved that Nin could still survive.

Not at all. The Wii U proved that Nintendo had to react, cut the console’s expected lifetime short, and come up with a new product because it didn’t take off and was definitely struggling.

Wii U lacked many big portable 1st party games, except some, yet they only lost money 2 times in Wii U era. Now Switch with all 3ds + Wii U 1st party games combined, that will never happen again. Answer me: the top selling games of Nintendo/Sony platforms, are they the same?

HoangNhatAnh said:
Hynad said:

Wii U lacked many big portable 1st party games, except some, yet they only lost money 2 times in Wii U era. Now Switch with all 3ds + Wii U 1st party games combined, that will never happen again. Answer me: the top selling games of Nintendo/Sony platforms, are they the same?

First party attach rate isn’t demonstrative of their ability to survive without any third partie at all.

How many Nintendo titles are outsourced (fully or in part) to third parties?
Now, remove them from the equation, and their title output obviously diminishes.

Think a bit longer and deeper before making silly assumptions.  

Hynad said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

First party attach rate isn’t demonstrative of their ability to survive without any third partie at all.

Now, remove them from the equation, and their title output obviously diminishes.

Nice moving goal post, the top 10 seller on Switch are mostly from Nintendo EPD/subsidiaries, and even outsourced games are still 1st party. We are comparing 1st party games of both, not how they were made.

Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:
Hynad said:

Nice moving goal post, the top 10 seller on Switch are mostly from Nintendo EPD/subsidiaries, and even outsourced games are still 1st party. We are comparing 1st party games of both, not how they were made.

Don’t pass your failure to understand the implications for me moving the goal post.

Hynad said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Don’t pass your failure to understand the implications for me moving the goal post.

Again, "We are comparing 1st party games of both"

Switch with Wii U + 3DS 1st party library is enough for Nin. 3ds can survive without big Western 3rd party support, but if it happen to Sony system? Looking at vita, well...

*Forum error creating double post*

Last edited by Hynad - on 22 February 2022

HoangNhatAnh said:
Hynad said:

Switch with Wii U + 3DS 1st party library is enough for Nin. 3ds can survive without big Western 3rd party support, but if it happen to Sony system? Looking at vita, well...

You are "comparing first party games of both", in the questionable manner you do here. Because that’s what insecure people who are into fanboys pettiness and console war will do.

Now, if you had actually followed, you would have seen that I only responded to your claim that Nintendo is the only one that could survive without third parties, which is a claim totally removed from reality.

Hynad said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

You are "comparing first party games of both", in the questionable manner you do here. Because that’s what insecure people who are into fanboys pettiness and console war will do.

Now, if you had actually followed, you would have seen that I only responded to your claim that Nintendo is the only one that could survive without third parties, which is a claim totally removed from reality.

You clearly knew what i meant when i said that, but you tried to understand it in a different way to fit your own arguement. Outsourceing 1st party games # 3rd party games. One more time, without 3rd party games, especially the Western ones, only Nin can survive, 

Last edited by HoangNhatAnh - on 22 February 2022