By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PlayStation Studios and Nintendo Entertainment Planning and Development - Which is the better first party group?

PotentHerbs said:

It really goes to show how much Sony's blockbuster titles dominate the conversation when the rest of the SIE portfolio is ignored.

It´s a good point. But what is the metric? Now? Last ten years? All the games?

The conception of a dude-bro machine for PS3 and PS4, it´s too impregnate in the collective mind. 

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
faustian.empire said:

I didn't say all of Nintendo games are for children but the general Tendency is that.

For example,A Good Guy(Hero) has some negative tendencies and a Bad Guy(Villain) has some positive tendencies but we look for the dominant energy which the Good Guy is overall mostly positive and the Bad Guy is overall mostly negative.

This is is what we identify somebody or something with not "Oh the Bad Guy isn't really bad cause he did one good thing among a thousand evil things"

By far the most Nintendo games can be enjoyed by all age groups.

anything can be enjoyed by everyone but it isn't

faustian.empire said:
Kakadu18 said:

By far the most Nintendo games can be enjoyed by all age groups.

I think it´s not KaKadu18 point.

Nintendo games normally are designed for all ages.

The mainline games for Sony first party are designed for teenagers and  male young adults in mind

Agente42 said:
faustian.empire said:

I think it´s not KaKadu18 point.

Nintendo games normally are designed for all ages.

The mainline games for Sony first party are designed for teenagers and  male young adults in mind

oh,what he is saying is not his point and what he is not saying is his point,RIGHT?..........lol

the point is anybody can play any game.I am 30 years old every few years i play Mario Games but that is not my usual selection.I just play Mario to relive my childhood but i don't play it every year.

Everything has a certain audience,you can't say Sony is targeting a certain segment but Nintendo targets everyone,that's just not true.

In Cars,BMW-Audi-Mercedes targets Rich People and Toyota-Honda-Volkswagen targets Middle Class People and Porsche-Ferrari-Lamborghini targets Race Enthusiasts and Roll Royce-Bentley targets Ultra Rich People.

Everybody has a focus audience group

Agente42 said:

The conception of a dude-bro machine for PS3 and PS4, it's too impregnate in the collective mind. 

I don't think the majority of consumers view any console like that. This sort of "stigma" is really only discussed on these online forums. The majority of consumers buy 1 - 2 games a year.

Regardless, its not a narrative that matches the reality of content available to PlayStation players with games like Gran Turismo 7, Demon's Souls, Kena, F.I.S.T., Guilty Gear, Sackboy, Dreams, quality in a ton of genres, different price points, & multiplayer. This is also without factoring in the live service games in Sony's pipeline & the growing platform of VR gaming. 

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
Agente42 said:

The conception of a dude-bro machine for PS3 and PS4, it's too impregnate in the collective mind. 

I don't think the majority of consumers view any console like that. This sort of "stigma" is really only discussed on these online forums. The majority of consumers buy 1 - 2 games a year.

Regardless, its not a narrative that matches the reality of content available to PlayStation players with games like Gran Turismo 7, Demon's Souls, Kena, F.I.S.T., Guilty Gear, Sackboy, Dreams, quality in a ton of genres, different price points, & multiplayer. This is also without factoring in the live service games in Sony's pipeline & the growing platform of VR gaming. 

VR gaming is an extended dude-bro machine. 

Sony doesn´t have more concern to launch games for another public than cinematograph action. On PSX and PS2, Sony has this concern, Japan Studio is a big front not only launches games but galvanized the third parties to do the same. The major concern for sony now in the West, the big AAA games, and whale sales with Live Service. The red ocean between Sony and Microsoft make one try to go Live Service and another push the Gamepass.

You have exceptions, yeah, agreed with you, but the main focus for first-party Sony is AAA cinematograph games, Returnal, one indie games sony effort have cinematograph zeitgeist. 

Agente42 said:
PotentHerbs said:

Sony doesn´t have more concern to launch games for another public than cinematograph action. On PSX and PS2, Sony has this concern, Japan Studio is a big front not only launches games but galvanized the third parties to do the same. The major concern for sony now in the West, the big AAA games, and whale sales with Live Service. The red ocean between Sony and Microsoft make one try to go Live Service and another push the Gamepass.

You have exceptions, yeah, agreed with you, but the main focus for first-party Sony is AAA cinematograph games, Returnal, one indie games sony effort have cinematograph zeitgeist. 

Humour me. Please explain what you mean by "dude-bro"?

The rest of your comments here are so shallow and narrow minded, I wonder if you know anything about what you’re trying to talk about.

Spindel said:
mjk45 said:

The trouble is, what is game play ? it can be a tricky little bugger hard to pin down changes game to game and even with in the same game, in the end it comes down to how you enjoyed the experience.

Game play is all the interactive actions you do in a game. 

Watching a cut scene is not game play. 
Pretty graphics in it self is not game play. 
Story is not game play. 

Game play is the way you control the game/in game character. 
Game play is how you over come challanges in the game, be it how to traverse an ingame space from point A to B, defeat a n enemy or solve a puzzle (usually the examples given here are intervowen) within the rules set by the game. 

Actually think of game play more in terms of a board game or card game. You don’t play Canasta, Risk, Monopoly, MTG etc for the story, the visuals (even if it might be nice with a set with great artwork). You play it for the game play loop and the ”story” you build yourself while playing. And everything is defined by the rules of the game, not the story or the visuals. 

Video games are the same, the mechanics (rules) need to be consisten, make sense and give you a feeling of achievement upon mastery. Be it the button combination for a certain action, timing of a certain reaction, the recognition of a pattern or the solution to a puzzle problem. 

Just pressing A to proceed or pressing X because a flashing sign says is game play but it’s not good game play. 

I was talking about gameplay in general rather than it's constituent parts like design and the mechanical process of interaction what constitutes overall  good gameplay can be subjective it differs depending on the personal taste and the game type , I would also argue that while graphical fidelity can't replace good game play it can enhance that gameplay, in the end what I am saying is it's not some standard that fits all games, just like most interactions people will perceive them differently some people like certain game play mechanics and dislike others, not liking a genres gameplay doesn't automatically mean it has bad gameplay.

Gameplay just like games themselves comes in a variety of different forms and flavours and the sheer amount of software on the 3 main platforms plus PC attests to each platform having a broad cross-section of different styles, so rather than argue who is better the best we can do is to state that our taste sees us lean toward one more than the others.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 16 February 2022

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Agente42 said:
PotentHerbs said:

I will assume dude-bro means males between 18 and 36 years old 

41% of PS4 and PS5 users are women 

42,5% of PS4 and PS5 users have less than 18 years or more than 36 years

Sony used to be a dude-bro Machine during PS1 era where 82% of its owners were male and 56% between 18 and 36 years, today their audience is wide because PS store has the highest amount of gaming software outside PCs, and they have any kind of game really

shikamaru317 said:

Based purely on personal taste, Sony definitely has the stronger 1st party, their high budget, high graphics story driven 3rd person action-adventure titles are mostly great, though I do wish their 1st party had a bit more variety. Nintendo on the other hand, really doesn't have all that much that interests me 1st party wise, Pokemon is technically 2nd party, and I'm not all that fond of any of their actual 1st party IP's, though Xenoblade has piqued my interest of late as I liked that Xenoblade 3 trailer on the recent direct. I would love to see Nintendo branch out and try their hand at more mature, story driven IP like Sony and MS specialize in.

There's Fire Emblem, Metroid, Astral Chain, Bayonetta (though the IP is technically owned by Sega, Nintendo produced the sequels), and the Famicom Detective Club games.