I am more shocked than Luke! 3 6.12%

I AM A SHAREHOLDER, CASHING OUT BABY! 5 10.20%

We needed this to restor sanity to the forum. 2 4.08%

We deserved this thread. 8 16.33%

BAN DULFITE! 16 32.65%

Total:49
Dulfite said:
SegaHeart said:

Right , Platinum working with Nintendo Own IPs like Starfox Zero wasn't as good as the older games , They do better on their own projects except Wonderful 101 , Maybe work on another different IP like Kid Icarus or Ice climbers they would probably do better? I'm just guessing ^^

I think SF: Zero's main problem wasn't necessarily Platinum's fault. From my understanding they wanted to be more ambitious, but Miyamoto really reigned them in to focus on what he thought SF should feel like in the modern era. If they had more creative control that game would have been way better, in my opinion. But still, it is a stain on their record, as is the canceled Microsoft dragon game and W101.

That's because most of the work for Zero was already done internally at Nintendo. Nintendo developed the main build of the game, then brought in Platinum to make it look pretty.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:

Nintendo doesn't need to and most likely never will buy studios like HAL and Intelligent Systems. HAL is already situated within Nintendo's HQ and might as well be Nintendo. Intelligent systems is Nintendo's longest partner of 40 years. And I don't see why Good Feel, Camelot and Grezzo would abandon Nintendo.

Intelligent Systems is owned by Nintendo.

Dulfite said:
Kslost said:

IMO Hal Labs would be the kind of purchase Nintendo makes.  Kind of like Next Level, closely tied to Nintendo over the years, makes great games for their systems, and had “Nintendo DNA”

HAL is safe bet I think. Platinum makes hits and misses so they are risky. Bayonetta and Astral Chains were really high quality series, whereas Starfox Zero and Wonderful 101 were duds imo. Too risky for Nintendo, as much as I'd love for them to utilize Platinum on other ips they already own.

As much as it hurts to say, but I think Miyamotos involvement is to blame for Star Fox Zero being subpar. Nintendo since put him on the sidelines.

Wonderful 101 was a good game, it might have fell in a weird position on WiiU and overall wasn't finding much reception. But it was a cool concept and shows the creativity in Platinum.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Dulfite said:
Kakadu18 said:

Nintendo doesn't need to and most likely never will buy studios like HAL and Intelligent Systems. HAL is already situated within Nintendo's HQ and might as well be Nintendo. Intelligent systems is Nintendo's longest partner of 40 years. And I don't see why Good Feel, Camelot and Grezzo would abandon Nintendo.

Intelligent Systems is owned by Nintendo.

No it's not, it's a completely separate company.

Nintendo selling console hardware at a profit and relying on first party almost exclusively means that they will likely be insulated from industry consolidation and regulatory changes more or less permanently. If all the AAA third party publishers get bought up, nothing really changes for Nintendo. If the government forces closed store fronts open via legislation, again nothing really changes for Nintendo. It’s a completely self sustaining business model

Around the Network
aTokenYeti said:

Nintendo selling console hardware at a profit and relying on first party almost exclusively means that they will likely be insulated from industry consolidation and regulatory changes more or less permanently. If all the AAA third party publishers get bought up, nothing really changes for Nintendo. If the government forces closed store fronts open via legislation, again nothing really changes for Nintendo. It’s a completely self sustaining business model

They formed as a company 20 years after the Japanese civil war and have been going ever since!

Nintendo has enough IP, all they need to do is keep sourcing out IPs with 2nd party deals while also expanding their existing studios. Revival of old IPs and new IP investment like what they did with Splatoon and Astral Chain goes a long way too. The companies getting bought were never the reason Switch sold in the first place. And in the case of MS, their games already come to Switch more so than Sony because MS is not competing with then directly like they are Sony.

This is where Playstation and Nintendo differ when it comes to how much the acquisitions could hurt them. A lot of Sony's classic franchises were never owned by Sony in the first place like Crash and Spyro. And while Sony does have a lot to offer, 3rd party games are still the driving force for their console. Nintendo on the other hand has always had ownership of the IP that push their consoles, their only problem is where they drop the ball in other areas like the WiiU.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

This aged well.

SecondWar said:

This aged well.

This is in regards to the Nintendo's purchase of remaining shares in SRD. 

If I were Nintendo I would definitely make sure any first party developers are well secured right now.  HAL, Good Feel and The Pokemon Company should also be on Nintendo's radar right now, in my opinion.  The threat isn't just from Microsoft but from a desperate Sony that is trying to reclaim lost support from developers.

Illusion said:
SecondWar said:

This aged well.

This is in regards to the Nintendo's purchase of remaining shares in SRD. 

If I were Nintendo I would definitely make sure any first party developers are well secured right now.  HAL, Good Feel and The Pokemon Company should also be on Nintendo's radar right now, in my opinion.  The threat isn't just from Microsoft but from a desperate Sony that is trying to reclaim lost support from developers.

Don't forget about Intelligent Systems!

Also, The Pokémon Company actually has shared ownership between Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures Inc. So there's not really any worry there. Unless Nintendo decides to buy Game Freak and Creatures Inc. which could be plausible considering Sony could buy Game Freak. They wouldn't develop Pokémon games if that happened, but Nintendo would lose the franchises developer.  

I would also throw in Grezzo for their excellent remakes! 

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 24 February 2022