By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo To Buy Nobody for $0

 

What are you FEEEELING?

I KNEW IT!!!!! 15 30.61%
 
I am more shocked than Luke! 3 6.12%
 
I AM A SHAREHOLDER, CASHING OUT BABY! 5 10.20%
 
We needed this to restor sanity to the forum. 2 4.08%
 
We deserved this thread. 8 16.33%
 
BAN DULFITE! 16 32.65%
 
Total:49
BlackBeauty said:

Didn’t they announce they are spending 4 billion dollars or some crazy amount to make a new development building?

They are not buying other studios. Why would they? They are expanding themselves.

With the expansion comes to new hiring I’m sure.

It wasn't even close to 4 billion but your point stands.



Around the Network
psychicscubadiver said:

Nintendo has said before that they don't like just buying studios wholesale, not unless they have already partnered with them for a while and are confident that all the developers and teams want to work with Nintendo. They also tend to go for smaller studios and only purchase them after a couple years of exclusive games: Retro Studios, Monolith Soft, and Next Level games. The most likely studio for Nintendo to buy next is Mercurysteam given the work they've put in on Luigi's Mansion and Metroid. Nintendo's 'Cash on Hand' assets are big enough ($16.37B) for them to buy any number of Japanese companies, but I doubt they would. They already corner the market in Japan and so 3rd parties with a focus in Japan will have to develop for them if they want to stay competitive.

However, if they were going to buy a bigger company I think Sega would be a smart move. Sonic fits right in with the classic Nintendo profile and they've been his strongest platform for sales for years now iirc. Plus it would bring in Atlus which is a studio on the rise as Persona and SMT are increasing in popularity. Yakuza would also come with the deal and aside from being a fun series, it would fill a vacant niche in Nintendo's typical line-up.

They're going to have to do something if all these other companies keep getting snapped up by Microsoft. They can't have partnerships if there are no partners. Mercurysteam would be a good purchase, but Nintendo needs to start locking down Japanese content, and fast. Sega would be an awesome acquisition, but I also think Koei Tecmo would be an excellent fit for Nintendo. They're already heavily invested in Nintendo development as it is. They've worked on quite a few mainline Nintendo titles such as Fire Emblem. Their single most successful product is Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. They have a stable of RPGs through Gust. If Nintendo got its hands on Platinum as well, that would put Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden under the House of Mario. 

Let me make myself clear: I actually don't like any of this consolidation going on. I'd like for these studios to all stay independent. But at this point, railing against consolidation is basically pissing in the wind. And besides Sony and Microsoft, we're also dealing with Chinese conglomerates with huge war chests and questionable ties to the Communist Party of China. Better Nintendo than Tencent or NetEase.



SanAndreasX said:
psychicscubadiver said:

Nintendo has said before that they don't like just buying studios wholesale, not unless they have already partnered with them for a while and are confident that all the developers and teams want to work with Nintendo. They also tend to go for smaller studios and only purchase them after a couple years of exclusive games: Retro Studios, Monolith Soft, and Next Level games. The most likely studio for Nintendo to buy next is Mercurysteam given the work they've put in on Luigi's Mansion and Metroid. Nintendo's 'Cash on Hand' assets are big enough ($16.37B) for them to buy any number of Japanese companies, but I doubt they would. They already corner the market in Japan and so 3rd parties with a focus in Japan will have to develop for them if they want to stay competitive.

However, if they were going to buy a bigger company I think Sega would be a smart move. Sonic fits right in with the classic Nintendo profile and they've been his strongest platform for sales for years now iirc. Plus it would bring in Atlus which is a studio on the rise as Persona and SMT are increasing in popularity. Yakuza would also come with the deal and aside from being a fun series, it would fill a vacant niche in Nintendo's typical line-up.

They're going to have to do something if all these other companies keep getting snapped up by Microsoft. They can't have partnerships if there are no partners. Mercurysteam would be a good purchase, but Nintendo needs to start locking down Japanese content, and fast. Sega would be an awesome acquisition, but I also think Koei Tecmo would be an excellent fit for Nintendo. They're already heavily invested in Nintendo development as it is. They've worked on quite a few mainline Nintendo titles such as Fire Emblem. Their single most successful product is Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. They have a stable of RPGs through Gust. If Nintendo got its hands on Platinum as well, that would put Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden under the House of Mario. 

Let me make myself clear: I actually don't like any of this consolidation going on. I'd like for these studios to all stay independent. But at this point, railing against consolidation is basically pissing in the wind. And besides Sony and Microsoft, we're also dealing with Chinese conglomerates with huge war chests and questionable ties to the Communist Party of China. Better Nintendo than Tencent or NetEase.

Regarding SEGA, one of its flagship studios is Creative Assembly, which makes the Total War games. These as PC games. They also have Relic, which makes a lot of PC only games. I don't think Nintendo would want to also have a PC branch, because then people will moreso demand other Nintendo games come to PC, which they don't want to do. Only way I could see Nintendo buying SEGA is if they do so under the agreement that SEGA West splits off into its own company or is bought by someone else. Maybe Microsoft gets SEGA West and Nintendo gets the rest? I'd love all the Total War games on Gamepass PC, personally.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love Nintendo owning Total War and having officially licensed Hyrule Total War and not some mod, I just don't see Nintendo wanting to own PC studios.



SEGA doesn't need to get bought , I'm am tired of many old school SEGA getting screwed by non true SEGA fans that want Nintendo to buy SEGA you guys never lived the pain of Mario winning 4th generation while true SEGA fans had to deal with Nintendo fans and their high horse saying SNES beat genesis and mario is gonna own sonic one day , you people are evil , I can understand you guys never had a gamegear , 32x + mega CD , master system , and Sega Saturn , , Dreamcast.



Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

SegaHeart said:

SEGA doesn't need to get bought , I'm am tired of many old school SEGA getting screwed by non true SEGA fans that want Nintendo to buy SEGA you guys never lived the pain of Mario winning 4th generation while true SEGA fans had to deal with Nintendo fans and their high horse saying SNES beat genesis and mario is gonna own sonic one day , you people are evil , I can understand you guys never had a gamegear , 32x + mega CD , master system , and Sega Saturn , , Dreamcast.

Cringe 



Around the Network
SegaHeart said:

SEGA doesn't need to get bought , I'm am tired of many old school SEGA getting screwed by non true SEGA fans that want Nintendo to buy SEGA you guys never lived the pain of Mario winning 4th generation while true SEGA fans had to deal with Nintendo fans and their high horse saying SNES beat genesis and mario is gonna own sonic one day , you people are evil , I can understand you guys never had a gamegear , 32x + mega CD , master system , and Sega Saturn , , Dreamcast.

Cringe 



@Icaro ribeiro how old are you? I know your mostly into Nintendo stuff than Sega secondary maybe? but SEGA is first for me then Microsoft then Sony then Nintendo.



Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

SegaHeart said:

@Icaro ribeiro how old are you? I know your mostly into Nintendo stuff than Sega secondary maybe? but SEGA is first for me then Microsoft then Sony then Nintendo.

26 and I was a PS1 fan



I rather Nintendo buy capcom it's just 1 billion dollars more , capcom studios are still going strong , We lost Nagoshi the Yakuza creator to netease so there's no telling how average the next Yakuza games gonna be , Nintendo don't revive old ips look at earthbound and starfox there dead , do you think they'll give a thought about reviving panzer dragoon? Jet Set radio? Fighting Vipers? etc ? SEGA only has Sonic and atlus and Sonic aint doing to good ? If you want atlus you can bid from SEGA to take that off from them I don't care but leave SEGA alone and the other IPs did bad Sakura Wars and Alex Kidd. :(



Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

Hope Nintendo gets Capcom. Oh and throw in the devs of the Trails of series too.