By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Article Downvotes should be removed - Yay or Nay?

 

Should down votes be removed?

YES!!! 22 27.16%
 
NO!!! 45 55.56%
 
Keep it but stop comments from being removed 14 17.28%
 
Total:81

So imo i believe the Down vote should be removed from articles or at least stop posts from being hiding if they get past a number of down votes .

Also 2-5x down votes should be removed from supporters if down votes are kept.

I believe people are now simply using the Down vote butting not to disagree with someone, but to hide other opinions on the articles and make it look like everything is fine and dandy with echo champers of love for whatever is in said news story as if everyone is happy with whatever the topic is.

down votes are being used for console Waring and not for what its intended use was, then when you add users who can 2x or 5x down vote users in such a small pool of active users on the articles it just makes for a broken system.

I also think that just like with the threads if we only had up votes it would make people think a bit more about the comments they are up voting.

So imo 1 of 2 things should happen.

Ether the Down votes get removed (Best option imo)

or

Stop down votes from making comments vanish and allowing supporters to have twice or more the voting power of non supporters and limit their up votes so they will use them more wise. unless a mod deems them comments offensive or in bad taste or trolling etc, then the mod should remove them. At the end of the day we have a report button on articles too

What say the rest of you guys about the this and whats the best way to fix it?.

Last edited by zero129 - on 30 December 2021

Around the Network

If you don't want your comments hidden - don't say shitty things. It isn't a hard concept. This also applies to being banned.



  • Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)

You can still see them, they're not hidden forever.

On the far right there is a square with a plus button inside.  Just click it and it shows.

If anything, it brings more attention to the down votes because it adds to the curiosity of what was hidden, and by clicking on it, it sticks into your memory more.



...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Just my observation, but I feel like downvoted comments attract even more eyes than they otherwise would.
Because everyone wants to see what they said to get so many downvotes.

And as @DroidKnight pointed out, you can still see those comments. Just have to click a button.

Last edited by Hiku - on 26 December 2021

Hiku said:

Just my observation, but I feel like downvoted comments attract even more eyes than they otherwise would.
Because everyone want to see what they said to get so many downvotes.

Beat you to it, sorry.



...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:

If you don't want your comments hidden - don't say shitty things. It isn't a hard concept. This also applies to being banned.

If only it worked that way. Not every comment is shitty from people, for example some could just be a user disagreeing about something etc ya know a difference of opinion etc. Also some people just follow users around and down vote them no matter what they say. And then you have supporters who have twice the down votes. The system just doesnt work as it was meant to so id like to get opinions on what people think could fix it and imo thats removing the down votes as the ones getting up votes would still go to the top and mods can remove the "Shitty" things people say just like how they ban people for shitty things.



Technically downvotes don't remove a comment, they hide it, if you hover over the comment you should see a little + symbol to the side which you click to expand the comment again and so you can see it.

Having said that, I'm in favour of their removal, I think it hurts discussion, I think it will discourage users from posting and I'm fairly confident in believing that folk use them simply for console war reasons or use them against users they dislike without bothering to read the comment, I also hate having to constantly click expand to see the comments.

And I don't like the Supporter perk which gives extra voting power, it causes an inaccurate representation of the community when a few users could have like 10x voting power between them, especially when the site is as small as it is right now, at minimum I think the perk needs to be removed but I feel for the Staff because it's a perk to encourage signups for their pay as they get sh*t from Ioi.

Honestly I think I could be convinced to support removing upvotes from threads too, I do wonder if they also hurt discussion, no need to put any thought into a reply or be like "yeah, I agree, for these reasons" when you can just click "like"



DroidKnight said:

You can still see them, they're not hidden forever.

On the far right there is a square with a plus button inside.  Just click it and it shows.

If anything, it brings more attention to the down votes because it adds to the curiosity of what was hidden, and by clicking on it, it sticks into your memory more.

Ok. That just blew my mind as i never knew that was an option x_x, *Now runs to check all them articles that i wanted to see why people got so many down votes xD*



Huehe.

*Gets two likes*

I'll try to keep an open mind, I'll watch how this thread goes, I doubt we can even change anything though without Talon around, I will not be moved in my position that the extra voting power needs to be removed from supporters though.

Unfortunately hurts Staff which I don't want to do though.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 26 December 2021

Ryuu96 said:

Technically downvotes don't remove a comment, they hide it, if you hover over the comment you should see a little + symbol to the side which you click to expand the comment again and so you can see it.

Having said that, I'm in favour of their removal, I think it hurts discussion, I think it will discourage users from posting and I'm fairly confident in believing that folk use them simply for console war reasons or use them against users they dislike without bothering to read the comment, I also hate having to constantly click expand to see the comments.

And I don't like the Supporter perk which gives extra voting power, it causes an inaccurate representation of the community when a few users could have like 10x voting power between them, especially when the site is as small as it is right now, at minimum I think the perk needs to be removed but I feel for the Staff because it's a perk to encourage signups for their pay as they get sh*t from Ioi.

Honestly I think I could be convinced to support removing upvotes from threads too, I do wonder if they also hurt discussion, no need to put any thought into a reply or be like "yeah, I agree, for these reasons" when you can just click "like"

Can agree 100% with the removal of double votes, and i never knew you could see the comments once they where hided. But i think the up votes can be good for a reason as they would make the top comments go to the top but i still think the down votes dont work as like you say some users follow others around and just down vote for the sake of it and then it becomes a pile on even if the comment is valid and fine.