By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Nears 100M, PS5 Tops 16M - Global Hardware Dec 4 to 11

Kristof81 said:

Shouldn't Switch be Vin Diesel and the other consoles Paul Walker? ?

Around the Network
eddy7eddy said:
Kristof81 said:

Shouldn't Switch be Vin Diesel and the other consoles Paul Walker? 🤔

That's just wrong.

Wyrdness said:

With in a week or so we will have a total of 6 platforms to hit 100m not bad for an industry that was was near dead 40 years ago and deemed a fad.

The Switch will be the seventh.

eddy7eddy said:
Kristof81 said:

With the way they both look it's more fitting this way.

Yeah North America is easily the most interesting market in my opinion, as its the most closely contended with all three brands having claimed generational victory there before. Where Sony pretty much always leads Europe and Japan is Nintendoland, NA is anyone's game.

trunkswd said:
Zippy6 said:

"PS5 stock surge boosts Spider-Man and Ratchet & Clank"

Some good news for ps5 stock for week ending 18th, at least in the UK sales should be up a lot next week.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-12-19-fifa-22-takes-christmas-no-1-as-among-us-beats-gta-trilogy-uk-boxed-charts

I've been seeing similar for PS5 and Xbox Series X across many countries in Europe and the US for the week ending December 18th. It should be a good week for both consoles.

Good to hear; while it's nice to see Switch doing great, seeing the others so low during the holidays was a little bit gloomy so it'd be good to see PS5 and XS get a boost.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
eddy7eddy said:

With the way they both look it's more fitting this way.

Great effort nonetheless.

zorg1000 said:
SKMBlake said:

He said it would be up, unless a shortage hits the stocks, which is the case

No, look at the way it’s framed.

He’s not saying demand is high enough to be up YoY but due to the ongoing chip shortage there’s a high chance it won’t be met.

He’s questioning how I think it could be down ~10% YoY and that it would require a shortage beyond what he believes is possible for that to happen.

I never said 25-26m was impossible.  I said that the chip shortage would have to be severe for everyone.  Look at how PS5 has been selling in Japan.  They had two weeks where PS5 was only about 1/200th of the market.  That only happens when the chip shortage is really severe.  

25-26m is what Switch sells when the chip shortage is really severe.  It means that it isn't only OLED in short supply.  Even the far less popular Lite model is in short supply too.  The chip shortage is really severe, and that is why Switch is only selling 25-26m.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when the Switch hits 100m that would make it the fastest platform to reach the milestone as it would have done it in under 5 years (roughly about 4 years and 9 months), PS4 is the current fastest at 5 years and 7 months from what I can find.

Wyrdness said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but when the Switch hits 100m that would make it the fastest platform to reach the mile as it would have done it in under 5 years (roughly about 4 years and 9 months), PS4 is the current fastest at 5 years and 7 months from what I can find.

The DS did it faster.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
zorg1000 said:

No, look at the way it’s framed.

He’s not saying demand is high enough to be up YoY but due to the ongoing chip shortage there’s a high chance it won’t be met.

He’s questioning how I think it could be down ~10% YoY and that it would require a shortage beyond what he believes is possible for that to happen.

I never said 25-26m was impossible.  I said that the chip shortage would have to be severe for everyone.  Look at how PS5 has been selling in Japan.  They had two weeks where PS5 was only about 1/200th of the market.  That only happens when the chip shortage is really severe.  

25-26m is what Switch sells when the chip shortage is really severe.  It means that it isn't only OLED in short supply.  Even the far less popular Lite model is in short supply too.  The chip shortage is really severe, and that is why Switch is only selling 25-26m.

You didn’t say impossible but it sure as hell wasn’t what you expected.

This wasn’t unknown info in late October when we had that discussion. Worldwide chip shortage had been going on all year and continuing throughout 2022 was already being mentioned. So you were saying it would only happen if the thing that was already happening happened.

But the shortage for Switch in particular is not nearly as severe as you make it out to be. Look at Japan, it has been down YoY for the last few weeks without shortages of any model. Switch also had record sales in Europe last month so I have a hard time believing it was incredibly hard to find and I haven’t heard any reports of shortages there either.

Really the US is the only major region that you can argue is having massive shortages.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.