By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Tops 98M, PS5 Outsells Xbox Series - Global Hardware Nov 28 to Dec 4

curl-6 said:

zorg1000 said:

It’s not going to happen, at the most there will be another revision but even that seems unlikely as a Switch Pro/4K would be kind of a slap in the face of people buying the premium OLED model.

If a revision comes next year I would guess it’s something unlike any of the current models like a Switch TV, a small console only model.

I really hope you're right. It would be so disappointing for Switch to be prematurely cut short.

Put it this way, we spent the last 2+ years hearing rumblings about a Switch Pro with a more powerful processor, 8gb RAM, 1440p screen, 4K upscaling, DLSS………only for it to be an OLED screen with a few QoL improvements.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
PAOerfulone said:

This is the first I've heard of Famiboards also.

And even these rumblings are hardly what I'd call insightful.

I mean the latest relevant news it has is that Nintendo is hiring for a 3D Software Engineer. So they're hiring more people, which we already knew they were doing when we heard straight from them that they're spending ~$900 million on software development and expanding into another building to take more development in house. Which is great, but I don't see how any of that leads to "We'll see a Switch successor in 2022." 

Some usually reliable insiders say dev kits for new hardware have been out there for a while. It's just not clear if it's positioned as a successor or a revision.

If I remember correctly, Nintendo said that they had no plans for another Switch revision after the OLED.

But no, we have Splatoon 3, BOTW2 and Metroid Prime 4 coming to Switch next year (or later in Metroid case). There's no reason to release a successor in 2022 and I don't think Nintendo is that dumb.

victor83fernandes said:
deerox said:

If you only count it as a home console then you have to subtract the Switch Lite's sales numbers.

Agree, let's just say these number are meaningless. All consoles will do great this generation, period. Any console that does at least 60 million is considered a success. I'm 100% sure that ps5 and xbox will pass that easily.

Agreed, and if that 60 million is a success, then Xbox needs considerably less for Xbox division to be successful this gen since they also get revenue from PC sales and Gamepass subscribers, whereas the PlayStation branch of Sony is almost exclusively dependent on sales through PlayStation, making them entirely dependent on selling as many PS5 as possible. Either way, I think all three will have made tremendous profit by the time this gen is done.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
curl-6 said:

Some usually reliable insiders say dev kits for new hardware have been out there for a while. It's just not clear if it's positioned as a successor or a revision.

If I remember correctly, Nintendo said that they had no plans for another Switch revision after the OLED.

But no, we have Splatoon 3, BOTW2 and Metroid Prime 4 coming to Switch next year (or later in Metroid case). There's no reason to release a successor in 2022 and I don't think Nintendo is that dumb.

Yeah but Nintendo have denied a price cut or revision is coming before only to confirm it days/weeks later.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's also my reaction when I check for stock everyday and see its sold out. Smh why didn't I buy the Series X 2 weeks ago... fucking dumbass in me lmao.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network

Nintendo will have a strong 2022 hardware and software-wise and I don't think 2023 will drop hard, it will be another successful year for the Nintendo Switch. Therefore, in my opinion, a successor will not come out before March 2024 and maybe even not before 2025, especially, if they still release a Switch Pro which isn't from the table. Surely, 2023 will need again appealing software, 2024 will probably have less interesting new releases but it will be enough to juggle along together with their huge back catalog and there are still possible prise-cuts to be made.

I do hope you're all correct, I for one think 2022 is much too early for a Switch replacement, I've just learned to never rule out Nintendo being completely illogical, so I am a bit concerned. The Switch deserves at least 6 years to itself.

If y'all are right and Switch 2 doesn't come out until 2024 or 2025, that means I will have owned the device for 7-8 years (I always buy at launch), a device that is basically just a more compact Wii U power-wise, and I also owned a Wii U at launch. By 2025 I will have been playing on basically the same level of power games since late 2012, or 13 years. For Nintendo faithful like me, who buy even their most unsuccessful devices, this is a stupidly long wait for a true leap forward. I don't want more games on this level, I want the next level. We aren't going to get better visuals, bigger maps with more detail, faster/no loading times, improved resolution/frame rate, other tech related enhancements, or any other big leap until a successor console comes out.

I know for the vast majority, that didn't own a Wii U, that this wait hasn't been that long. As far as most are concerned, the Switch was a big leap over the Wii, but I was one of the suckers playing Wii U for years and am now one of the ones having to deal with an extremely prolonged period of the same level of games. Switch games look and mostly play no different than Wii U games to me. I'm tired of this gen. I want the next one.

Dulfite said:

If y'all are right and Switch 2 doesn't come out until 2024 or 2025, that means I will have owned the device for 7-8 years (I always buy at launch), a device that is basically just a more compact Wii U power-wise, and I also owned a Wii U at launch. By 2025 I will have been playing on basically the same level of power games since late 2012, or 13 years. For Nintendo faithful like me, who buy even their most unsuccessful devices, this is a stupidly long wait for a true leap forward. I don't want more games on this level, I want the next level. We aren't going to get better visuals, bigger maps with more detail, faster/no loading times, improved resolution/frame rate, other tech related enhancements, or any other big leap until a successor console comes out.

I know for the vast majority, that didn't own a Wii U, that this wait hasn't been that long. As far as most are concerned, the Switch was a big leap over the Wii, but I was one of the suckers playing Wii U for years and am now one of the ones having to deal with an extremely prolonged period of the same level of games. Switch games look and mostly play no different than Wii U games to me. I'm tired of this gen. I want the next one.

That's interesting. I played on my Wii from 2007 to 2018, when I got a Switch and never got tired of it. I still sometimes replay some of my Wii games.

Kakadu18 said:
Dulfite said:

That's interesting. I played on my Wii from 2007 to 2018, when I got a Switch and never got tired of it. I still sometimes replay some of my Wii games.

Interesting. I can't stand that long of a wait.