By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Tops 98M, PS5 Outsells Xbox Series - Global Hardware Nov 28 to Dec 4

Dulfite said:

If y'all are right and Switch 2 doesn't come out until 2024 or 2025, that means I will have owned the device for 7-8 years (I always buy at launch), a device that is basically just a more compact Wii U power-wise, and I also owned a Wii U at launch. By 2025 I will have been playing on basically the same level of power games since late 2012, or 13 years. For Nintendo faithful like me, who buy even their most unsuccessful devices, this is a stupidly long wait for a true leap forward. I don't want more games on this level, I want the next level. We aren't going to get better visuals, bigger maps with more detail, faster/no loading times, improved resolution/frame rate, other tech related enhancements, or any other big leap until a successor console comes out.

I know for the vast majority, that didn't own a Wii U, that this wait hasn't been that long. As far as most are concerned, the Switch was a big leap over the Wii, but I was one of the suckers playing Wii U for years and am now one of the ones having to deal with an extremely prolonged period of the same level of games. Switch games look and mostly play no different than Wii U games to me. I'm tired of this gen. I want the next one.

But remember Wii U was cut short, just over 4 years so that means Switch is just picking up the slack and it averages to 6 years per console.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I hope I don’t start another pedantic debate but is the switch seen as an 8th gen or 9th gen console? I assume 8th?

Dulfite said:
Kakadu18 said:

That's interesting. I played on my Wii from 2007 to 2018, when I got a Switch and never got tired of it. I still sometimes replay some of my Wii games.

Interesting. I can't stand that long of a wait.

I mean I also had my DS and 3DS so it wasn't always the same, but I'm not really hungering for more powerful consoles, just more games. And I have enough games for the rest of the decade.

zorg1000 said:
Dulfite said:

If y'all are right and Switch 2 doesn't come out until 2024 or 2025, that means I will have owned the device for 7-8 years (I always buy at launch), a device that is basically just a more compact Wii U power-wise, and I also owned a Wii U at launch. By 2025 I will have been playing on basically the same level of power games since late 2012, or 13 years. For Nintendo faithful like me, who buy even their most unsuccessful devices, this is a stupidly long wait for a true leap forward. I don't want more games on this level, I want the next level. We aren't going to get better visuals, bigger maps with more detail, faster/no loading times, improved resolution/frame rate, other tech related enhancements, or any other big leap until a successor console comes out.

I know for the vast majority, that didn't own a Wii U, that this wait hasn't been that long. As far as most are concerned, the Switch was a big leap over the Wii, but I was one of the suckers playing Wii U for years and am now one of the ones having to deal with an extremely prolonged period of the same level of games. Switch games look and mostly play no different than Wii U games to me. I'm tired of this gen. I want the next one.

But remember Wii U was cut short, just over 4 years so that means Switch is just picking up the slack and it averages to 6 years per console.

Assuming the Switch has a 7.5 years life that makes sense.

Dulfite said:

In meantime you can get a PS5 or a Xbox, they offer the leap you are looking for. Nintendo seems committed to always have hardware that are substantially less powerful compared to others manufacturers. Even when Switch sequel finally launch I'm sure they won't go with the most powerful chipset available in the market, they will do something like Steam Deck level of power even in 2025 

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you see it) Nintendo hardcore fans doesn't seem to be as tech savvy as hardcore Playstation and Xbox fans and in my opinion casuals aren't tech savvy regardless of what is their main platform. Along with this major third parties publishers have been ignoring Nintendo for more than two decades now, Nintendo have no reason to develop a more powerful device thinking about how third parties could boost hardware sales 

Around the Network
aTokenYeti said:

I hope I don’t start another pedantic debate but is the switch seen as an 8th gen or 9th gen console? I assume 8th?

The way I see it, 8th gen. It's probably going to live more time alongside PS4 and Xbone games than with PS5 or Series games 

aTokenYeti said:

Depends who you ask. But at the end of the day any logic or definition arguments people have for it to be 8th or 9th gen will be irrelevant.

If more people think 8th then it will be remembered as 8th. Wikipedia says 8th which is what the layman will believe, so likely that's exactly what it will be.

Eventually arguments from forum users will stop and only what the mainstream believe will remain.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Dulfite said:

In meantime you can get a PS5 or a Xbox, they offer the leap you are looking for. Nintendo seems committed to always have hardware that are substantially less powerful compared to others manufacturers. Even when Switch sequel finally launch I'm sure they won't go with the most powerful chipset available in the market, they will do something like Steam Deck level of power even in 2025 

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you see it) Nintendo hardcore fans doesn't seem to be as tech savvy as hardcore Playstation and Xbox fans and in my opinion casuals aren't tech savvy regardless of what is their main platform. Along with this major third parties publishers have been ignoring Nintendo for more than two decades now, Nintendo have no reason to develop a more powerful device thinking about how third parties could boost hardware sales 

I do PC gaming for the leap on third party/first party games (from Xbox) already with my RTX 2080 Supermax. I want the Nintendo games to have the leaps. They are stuck in the PS3/Xbox 360/Wii U era graphics on the Switch. And yeah, Nintendo is always one generation behind in power. Wii was one gen behind 360/PS3. Wii U was one gen behind Xbox One/PS4. The problem is the Switch is the Wii U, basically, so now we are dealing with it being two gens behind. I was completely fine with it being one gen behind, I even advocated for it for a while. But two generations behind? That's crazy.

aTokenYeti said:

I hope I don't start another pedantic debate but is the switch seen as an 8th gen or 9th gen console? I assume 8th?

There are good and reasonable arguments for both.

Dulfite said:

I do PC gaming for the leap on third party/first party games (from Xbox) already with my RTX 2080 Supermax. I want the Nintendo games to have the leaps. They are stuck in the PS3/Xbox 360/Wii U era graphics on the Switch. And yeah, Nintendo is always one generation behind in power. Wii was one gen behind 360/PS3. Wii U was one gen behind Xbox One/PS4. The problem is the Switch is the Wii U, basically, so now we are dealing with it being two gens behind. I was completely fine with it being one gen behind, I even advocated for it for a while. But two generations behind? That's crazy.

I think one or two gen behind depends on whether you see Switch as 8th gen or 9th gen, I see it as 8th so... well they are one gen behind. But yeah, I miss some more power-seeking third parties on Switch like Dark Souls 3 or Final Fantasy 15/7 RE that probably can't run in an acceptable way on Switch. As for Nintendo, I think they will need some time to learn how to make really good Full HD games, I can see some of their studios already on struggle to keep their pipeline in check with AAA games. A game like Fire Emblem in past could be developed in one year, now it would take much more time as we can see by the lack of polish in graphics and even in narrative and maps Three Houses could be easily delayed to 2020 to improve those points.

One of the reasons why I think Nintendo wants do delay their leap as much as possible is because how dependent they are on their own first party on launch years and those games needs time to make. They know third parties will only commit themselves when they see they can take advantage of a big userbase, Nintendo releasing Switch 2 in 2023 means their launch year is basically Switch 1 games remastered, i.e. you won't have the leap you are looking for regardless of Switch 2 being released on 2023 or not unless you just want to play remastered Switch 1 games at 60 FPS and 4k

I understand you want Nintendo games to go forward instead of reusing gameplay mechanics capped by 2011 technology level, but the truth is you wishes won't materialize. The only way for Nintendo to release Switch 2 in 2023 was Switch peak to happen in 2018 and Switch to sell at best 70 million lifetime, a success but far from enough to yield a bigger lifecycle. It didn't happen so Nintendo kept making software for Switch. 

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 18 December 2021