By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Tops 98M, PS5 Outsells Xbox Series - Global Hardware Nov 28 to Dec 4

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

I'm not convinced PS5 has lost many sales in the long term due to the current shortages; I expect people will simply get one further down the line instead, there will ultimately be a many PS5 games you cannot play on Xbox Series.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say it's guaranteed; Nintendo's tendency for moronic self-sabotage could always resurface and they could replace it next year and quickly discontinue Switch 1 like Sony have with the PS4.

It is almost 100% going to surpass the PS4 next year and even if sales start to drop off fast it will have no problem outselling the PS4 by the time Nintendo stops selling it.

With its current trajectory that certainly looks like the likely outcome, but there's a lot of alarming rumblings about a new Switch in 2022. Killing Switch so soon would be beyond stupid, but Nintendo has been incredibly stupid before.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 16 December 2021

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

It is almost 100% going to surpass the PS4 next year and even if sales start to drop off fast it will have no problem outselling the PS4 by the time Nintendo stops selling it.

With its current trajectory that certainly looks like the likely outcome, but there's a lot of alarming rumblings about a new Switch in 2022. Killing Switch so soon would be beyond stupid, but Nintendo has been incredibly stupid before.

The rumblings about a new Switch next year are coming from forums like this one. The execs at Nintendo themselves have never said anything but the polar opposite.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Where are you hearing these rumblings? Because this is the first I've heard of it.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

With Switch OLED this year and it still selling ~25m in 2021 I don't see a successor releasing until March 2023 at the earliest. I am predicting a March 2024 release for Switch 2. Have it launch with a key core franchise like the next 3D Mario and have Mario Kart 9 for Holiday 2024, along with a couple of other releases.

Honestly, March 2023 would be the earliest I'd consider reasonable, but again, Nintendo can be unreasonable sometimes. Hopefully the leaks are just another revision and not a successor.

PAOerfulone said:
curl-6 said:

Where are you hearing these rumblings? Because this is the first I've heard of it.

Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation and Discussion |ST| "Oh Black Knight, Tape Me Out to Denmark!" | Famiboards

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

It’s not going to happen, at the most there will be another revision but even that seems unlikely as a Switch Pro/4K would be kind of a slap in the face of people buying the premium OLED model.

If a revision comes next year I would guess it’s something unlike any of the current models like a Switch TV, a small console only model.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

curl-6 said:
PAOerfulone said:

Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation and Discussion |ST| "Oh Black Knight, Tape Me Out to Denmark!" | Famiboards

This is the first I've heard of Famiboards also.

And even these rumblings are hardly what I'd call insightful.

I mean the latest relevant news it has is that Nintendo is hiring for a 3D Software Engineer. So they're hiring more people, which we already knew they were doing when we heard straight from them that they're spending ~$900 million on software development and expanding into another building to take more development in house. Which is great, but I don't see how any of that leads to "We'll see a Switch successor in 2022." 

PAOerfulone said:
curl-6 said:

And even these rumblings are hardly what I'd call insightful.

I mean the latest relevant news it has is that Nintendo is hiring for a 3D Software Engineer. So they're hiring more people, which we already knew they were doing when we heard straight from them that they're spending ~$900 million on software development and expanding into another building to take more development in house. Which is great, but I don't see how any of that leads to "We'll see a Switch successor in 2022." 

Some usually reliable insiders say dev kits for new hardware have been out there for a while. It's just not clear if it's positioned as a successor or a revision.

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

It’s not going to happen, at the most there will be another revision but even that seems unlikely as a Switch Pro/4K would be kind of a slap in the face of people buying the premium OLED model.

If a revision comes next year I would guess it’s something unlike any of the current models like a Switch TV, a small console only model.

I really hope you're right. It would be so disappointing for Switch to be prematurely cut short.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 16 December 2021

There has not been anything solid or concrete that points to that direction of "Switch 2 in 2022." Just pure rumor and speculation. In fact, the solid and concrete knowledge we DO have has suggested the opposite: That the Switch is not going anywhere any time soon and we're still a long ways away from a successor. 

The most solid details we've gotten out of the Switch's successor was "we are still going through internal discussions on concept, timing, etc, and discussing everything."

That doesn't sound like a system that's coming out next year. 

Edit: Furthermore, most Nintendo console launches come with a dry software lineup for its predecessor. The Wii got jack-shit outside of Skyward Sword, Return to Dreamland, and Xenoblade Chronicles (overseas) in its last two years before the Wii U came out. The less I say about the Wii U's software drought, the better. And even the 3DS was experiencing it to a degree that last year before the Switch came out. It got Fire Emblem Fates (overseas), Kirby Planet Robobot, and Pokemon Sun/Moon. But after that, I'm drawing a blank. Post '04 GameCube before the Wii came out. Post '00 N64 before the GameCube came out, it goes on. But the Switch in 2022, based on what we know so far, looks to be the strongest lineup of games it has had since its launch year. That doesn't look like a console they're about to replace.

There are very obvious and clearcut sings and indicators to let you know when a brand new Nintendo console is about to release... And I'm not seeing any of them.

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 16 December 2021

PAOerfulone said:
curl-6 said:

Incidentally, I do highly recommend the forum, it's one of the best, most welcoming, and most active video games forums around right now.