By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Tops 98M, PS5 Outsells Xbox Series - Global Hardware Nov 28 to Dec 4

siebensus4 said:
AllfatherStarr said:

so is the chip shortage hitting MS and Sony way worse than Nintendo due to the difference in the nature of hardware (i.e. PC vs Mobile) ?

According to Nintendo's forecast, Switch should get shortages rather sooner than later. I think Nintendo was able to produce a bit of stock of the regular and lite model during summer/autumn. The OLED model has shortages since launch.

Surprisingly the OLED has been in stock this week at Target, Best Buy, and Amazon. Amazon currently has them for delivery right after Xmas

Around the Network

@trunkswd no idea if this is inline with current VGC numbers but despite series S alone outselling ps5 on BF in the UK; PS5 sold more than Xbox series X/S in the UK for the month of November.

victor83fernandes said:
AllfatherStarr said:

so is the chip shortage hitting MS and Sony way worse than Nintendo due to the difference in the nature of hardware (i.e. PC vs Mobile) ?

That's what I always said since the beginning, but people say I'm wrong, I say the switch chips are easier to manufacture, therefore they are not as much affected by the shortage. 

Its a shame because both ps5 and xbox could be setting sales records for a year 1.

On the other hand, the shortage kinda makes those consoles more desirable, I wonder, if you could just go into a store and get one easily, would it actually sell that well?

All 3 are affected by the chip shortage.  It doesn't matter how much more or less.  They are all losing out on sales because of an inability to create adequate supply.  Unless you think Nintendo is adjusting its production forecast down because they have no problem making them, but just don't believe they can sell them?

Sogreblute said:
deerox said:

If you only count it as a home console then you have to subtract the Switch Lite's sales numbers.

The Switch is a tablet. It's not a home console. It's a portable. Just because you can play it on a TV/monitor doesn't make it a home console. The main unit itself is a tablet.

"Nintendo Switch is designed to fit your life, transforming from home console to portable system in a snap."

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/system/

Also, it seems the largest retailer in the world disagrees with you as well.  Try typing "Gaming Tablet" into Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gaming+tablet&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Nintendo Switch will not show up as an option.  You know where it does show up?  Type in "gaming console".  It's right there alongside the XBox's and PlayStations:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gaming+console&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Fun Fact:  The same holds true for the World's 2nd Largest Retailer - Walmart.  Give it a shot.

Mandalore76 said:
victor83fernandes said:

That's what I always said since the beginning, but people say I'm wrong, I say the switch chips are easier to manufacture, therefore they are not as much affected by the shortage. 

Its a shame because both ps5 and xbox could be setting sales records for a year 1.

On the other hand, the shortage kinda makes those consoles more desirable, I wonder, if you could just go into a store and get one easily, would it actually sell that well?

All 3 are affected by the chip shortage.  It doesn't matter how much more or less.  They are all losing out on sales because of an inability to create adequate supply.  Unless you think Nintendo is adjusting its production forecast down because they have no problem making them, but just don't believe they can sell them?

He said they are not as much affected by the shortage. Obviously they are. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Can we not have this pointless debate for the 6574th time?

Nah, that's unavoidable. You know, just like there are still people who believe that Switch belongs to the same hardware generation as the 3DS and Wii U.

One of those debates in indeed pointless. The other is actually quite interest and valid.

That makes it 3 years in which the Switch has sold (or at least shipped) over 20 million units. Making it just the 2nd system in history to do so.

AllfatherStarr said:

I think it is more down due to Switch was already produced for a while, so production lines were already up and established. Manufacturers seldomly reassign the production lines a customer already has ordered to another customer. PS5 and Xbox Series on the other hand tried to build up their production just as the problems started.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

deerox said:
victor83fernandes said:

That's if you count the DS. It was strictly portable.

If you count the switch as a home console it will become second best of all time.

Everyone predicted it to sell at least 80 million. Its the 3DS successor and also a home console all in 1, of course it would sell well. Nintendo portables always sell well.

If you only count it as a home console then you have to subtract the Switch Lite's sales numbers.

Agree, let's just say these number are meaningless. All consoles will do great this generation, period. Any console that does at least 60 million is considered a success. I'm 100% sure that ps5 and xbox will pass that easily.

Manlytears said:
Qwark said:

PS5 sales are really pathetic at the moment

Chips shortage is realy killing playstation, Major concern for Sony guys... i bet they could sell 3 times more consoles with adequate supply chain.

They wouldn't sell 3x, half those ps5 sales are scalpers, those consoles are still on ebay for sale.

And its actually selling on par with the ps4, and the ps4 didn't kill playstation at all. On the other hand that's why they will release more games on PC, so extra profits there too. All will be fine.

To be honest I really don't care, I already have one haha, the only thing I care now is graphics card, I am using a 2080ti because I couldn't find a 3070. Its fine, but I want to upgrade.

PC is being more affected than ps and xbox, as I managed to grab a ps5 and I've seen several for sale and xbox too, but I haven't seen any good graphics card that wouldn't cost triple the retail price.

So its not like sony is losing market to others because of this, all platforms are losing possible market.