By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Tops 98M, PS5 Outsells Xbox Series - Global Hardware Nov 28 to Dec 4

Wow. If this is it then it’s a tough holiday for Sony and Microsoft. Shortages can’t end soon enough. Switch is hanging in there but it also could have been higher for sure.

Around the Network

I think everything will be adjusted down once the numbers release next month, especially NPD

All Time Video Game Hardware Sales List:

1) PlayStation 2 (PS2) - 157,680,000 (155,000,000+ according to Sony) Mar. 31st, 2012

2) Nintendo DS (DS) - 154,900,000 (154,020,000 according to Nintendo) - Mar. 31st, 2021

3) Game Boy (GB/GBC) - 118,690,000

4) PlayStation 4 (PS4) - 116,728,040 (116,600,000+ according to Sony) - Sept. 30st, 2021

5) PlayStation (PS1) - 102,500,000 (102,400,000+ according to Sony) - Mar. 31st, 2012

6) Nintendo Wii (Wii) - 101,640,000 (101,630,000 according to Nintendo) - Mar. 31st, 2021

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7) Nintendo Switch (NS) - 98,123,156 (92,870,000 according to Nintendo) - Sept. 30th, 2021

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the NPD adjustments made it so the Switch didn't hit 97 million last week. But it was able to do so this week, and unless the next batch of adjustments say otherwise, it has also passed 98 million this week as well. 

aTokenYeti said:
AllfatherStarr said:

so is the chip shortage hitting MS and Sony way worse than Nintendo due to the difference in the nature of hardware (i.e. PC vs Mobile) ?

Yes, and also quantity of parts used. The Xboxes and PlayStation both use more ram that is also more expensive, they both use much more expensive storage solutions, the both require more robust cooling solutions, and also don’t underrate how much more the per unit shipping cost is because of how much larger the physical boxes are. 

This for sure. I've never actually seen a PS5 box because, y'know, no stock ever, but just eyeballing the showroom model I've seen suggests that you can easily ship 5 or more Switch units for every PS5.

Going back to 2016, who would have ever thought Switch would finish at LEAST top 3 of all time.

Around the Network
PortisheadBiscuit said:

Going back to 2016, who would have ever thought Switch would finish at LEAST top 3 of all time.

I remember having one of the more optimistic predictions back then: 80-100 million. It's about to blow right past it.

PS5 and Xbox Series very close worldwide and XS way ahead in America, Switch in NA more than double XS and well over triple PS5.

Switch in Europe > PS5 and Xbox Series combined.

Turns out having lower end hardware has its benefits after all.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 December 2021

PAOerfulone said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

I remember having one of the more optimistic predictions back then: 80-100 million. It's about to blow right past it.

I remember a thread I made about it needing to pass 85 million to be considered a success. Which was basically the Wii U sales plus the 3ds/2ds sales combined.  Definitely successful.

edit: found it, I actually had 80 million in the OP but the 3ds continued to sale after that to bring up the totals.

edit 2: was giving it 5 years from thread creation May 2017 before I revisited it.

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 14 December 2021

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

This should be the week the Switch breaks 100 million (The actual week, as in 12/12 - 12/18, not the data week.)

I feel like we should be getting a formal announcement from Nintendo themselves saying "The Switch has officially sold over 100 million units! Thank you very much, Nintendo fans!" Or something along those lines. Because 100 million is certainly something worth bragging about.

Qwark said:

PS5 sales are really pathetic at the moment

How? Its actually selling really well, considering you cant find one anywhere.