By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo Infinite - Story Discussion - Unmarked Spoilers

One thing I would like for them to do in the future, if/when they add new biomes to play in, is to create more smaller story moments with the optional targets/mini-bosses. Maybe, instead of fighting like 15 different ones or whatever, that we only ever encounter the one time, and then it's done, you have us face them over multiple different locations, with some short cutscenes and/or dialogue throughout the fights, and then they flee (or otherwise get bailed out) once or twice before you have an ultimate showdown with them at the last spot. That way you could get a more personal connection with these targets, and their story can be more than just some text in the database, and a few remarks from new Cortana.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
Angelus said:

One thing I would like for them to do in the future, if/when they add new biomes to play in, is to create more smaller story moments with the optional targets/mini-bosses. Maybe, instead of fighting like 15 different ones or whatever, that we only ever encounter the one time, and then it's done, you have us face them over multiple different locations, with some short cutscenes and/or dialogue throughout the fights, and then they flee (or otherwise get bailed out) once or twice before you have an ultimate showdown with them at the last spot. That way you could get a more personal connection with these targets, and their story can be more than just some text in the database, and a few remarks from new Cortana.

Please do that with a Grunt, Lol.

Trash talks you at every battle, runs away and trash talks you over the radio, tells his allies that he beat Master Chief.

That would be gold lol

Yea, Cortana really went fucking hard in the paint on those big space monkeys lol. I don't honestly get the sense that it changed Atriox all that much though. Even before it happened, he seemed very calm about the whole thing. Obviously, he'll have been seething inside, but even in that moment he didn't let his emotions get the best of him. Then he simply moved forward with a plan of action for what to do next. Also, there was at least one grunt tower in the game that still called for humans to join the banished, and this is all after the Brute planet has already been destroyed, so I'm thinking they're still open to anyone joining up.

Ryuu96 said:
Angelus said:

Yea, Cortana really went fucking hard in the paint on those big space monkeys lol. I don't honestly get the sense that it changed Atriox all that much though. Even before it happened, he seemed very calm about the whole thing. Obviously, he'll have been seething inside, but even in that moment he didn't let his emotions get the best of him. Then he simply moved forward with a plan of action for what to do next. Also, there was at least one grunt tower in the game that still called for humans to join the banished, and this is all after the Brute planet has already been destroyed, so I'm thinking they're still open to anyone joining up.

Ah! That's good, I missed that.

I'm not trying to justify The Banished in any way, they're evil but I like that their motivations and goals are beyond simply "We're evil and we want to genocide everything" The fact that Atriox is open to all species makes him smarter, less guided by pure emotion, it is easier to see why people would fall under his banner due to his origins and how he tries to present The Banished and now with Doisac destroyed, it even more so will unite Brutes under him and heck, maybe other species, as they were fucked over by Cortana too, Lol, Atriox has an easy angle to play now in his recruitment.

Definitely. And it would honestly be nice to actually see some humans join the Banished, as it would be an interesting story element to explore. Kinda doubt we'll see 343 go down that road, but who knows. If we potentially get a campaign expansion every 1.5 years or so, there's room to tell a lot of stories. That seems like a realistic target on paper, but 343 have obviously not been particularly time efficient over the years so...maybe it won't pan out that way.

Last edited by Angelus - on 12 December 2021

Ryuu96 said:

Going back to one of my main disappointments in the story, the lack of character development for Tovarus, Hyperius and Jega, I don't know how Tovarus/Hyperius ended up with less character development than the Brute at the start, Lol. It irked me a little, especially with them being hyped up as Spartan Killers, Jega had a little more but not nearly enough, I wanted them to explore further that friendship between Jega and Escharum as it's rare for Brutes and Elites to be friends.

I think, to expand upon this criticism, it was a failing of the game to not actually make you feel more like you're being hunted. The game makes a point of TELLING you that you're hunted. That the hand of Atriox is coming for you. But this doesn't really materialize all that much in a gameplay sense. 

What SHOULD have happened, is random attacks on you while you're moving around the open world. Like you're out doing whatever, and then suddenly a few dropships move in on you and assault you with troops while the HoA bosses taunt you with insults from the air, or one of those "big guns" boss brutes drop pods down in your face for an impromptu showdown (and then like if you just get him half health he fucks off again or something). Just like I was saying earlier with the other targets. Create more "moments" with these characters. I never felt hunted in this game. I was the hunter.

Around the Network

Also, not gonna lie, I got like super pumped at the end of the last mission, when everything started collapsing and shit. I was like "hell yea, time for another badass Halo escape sequence! Quick teleport to somewhere with a Warthog, and then a nice joyride to epic music while everything breaks around me!" But alas...they didn't wanna go for the good ol' cliche lol

Also also, while I'm nitpicking...

I feel like Chief was a little too quick to start beefing with the Harbinger. I mean, fair enough, she was working with the Banished, not a great starting point, and she armor locks you when you first meet. Instinct says shoot first ask questions later.......BUUUUUUUT we are talking about first contact with a new alien species, and she was TALKING to you. And she said she's not your enemy. So...would it kill you to like...ask a few questions at least...? Before going all trigger happy? Maybe just get a baseline understanding of wtf this new thing's motivations are for working with the Banished?

Ryuu96 said:
Angelus said:

Also, not gonna lie, I got like super pumped at the end of the last mission, when everything started collapsing and shit. I was like "hell yea, time for another badass Halo escape sequence! Quick teleport to somewhere with a Warthog, and then a nice joyride to epic music while everything breaks around me!" But alas...they didn't wanna go for the good ol' cliche lol

It is disappointing, Warthog Run OST is in the game but there's no actual Warthog Run...Suppose they didn't want to blow up the Ring since you're still on it but the Ring is in fragments so they could have blown up that specific part, or maybe even do an on-foot escape sequence using the grapple hook? Idk.

Angelus said:

Also also, while I'm nitpicking...

I feel like Chief was a little too quick to start beefing with the Harbinger. I mean, fair enough, she was working with the Banished, not a great starting point, and she armor locks you when you first meet. Instinct says shoot first ask questions later.......BUUUUUUUT we are talking about first contact with a new alien species, and she was TALKING to you. And she said she's not your enemy. So...would it kill you to like...ask a few questions at least...? Before going all trigger happy? Maybe just get a baseline understanding of wtf this new thing's motivations are for working with the Banished?

Yeah, I think that could be said as a flaw in Chief's character though, it's as he says in the game, fighting is all he knows, he doesn't ask questions, he sees a threat and eliminates it, that's how UNSC have raised him, I think Harbinger f*cked up by armour locking him cause at that point he likely saw her as a threat needing to be put down.

And in fairness, he doesn't actually shoot at her once in that scene, he chases after her on foot and then attempts a dive onto her, Idk what would have happened if he caught her though, Lol. He might also be having flashbacks to the last time he met a new species (Didact/Forerunner) who ended up lobbing him into a wall, Lmao.

But I do sorta think that too, maybe he should have tried to speak with her? Cause The Endless as it stands right now seem to be originally victims, I mean, not right now, they're working with The Banished who are evil but they're definitely victims in the context of Forerunners and being imprisoned for no ethical reason, who knows, could he have convinced Harbinger to work with Humanity instead of The Banished if he tried speaking to her? Maybe...

Yes, like I said, it's a nitpick. Chief's actions are understandable, given who he is. Still, there's just a part of me that thinks man....Chief...you know humanity has been having it ROUGH for a hot damn minute...it's a constant fight for survival on all fronts....and you're the one who's gotta rise to meet it all....don't you wanna try just a little harder to maybe not add a whole ass new species to the list? Are you not battle weary out here? 

Tbf, Chief wouldn't know what to do with himself without an enemy to fight lol, but in that moment I was just like damn Chief...use your words!

Ryuu96 said:
Angelus said:

Yes, like I said, it's a nitpick. Chief's actions are understandable, given who he is. Still, there's just a part of me that thinks man....Chief...you know humanity has been having it ROUGH for a hot damn minute...it's a constant fight for survival on all fronts....and you're the one who's gotta rise to meet it all....don't you wanna try just a little harder to maybe not add a whole ass new species to the list? Are you not battle weary out here? 

Tbf, Chief wouldn't know what to do with himself without an enemy to fight lol, but in that moment I was just like damn Chief...use your words!

I think the same could be applied to the Lesser Monitor created after Despondent Pyre's death too, Chief almost instantly runs on the assumption that these Monitors will turn bad cause Guilty Spark did, Lol. He gets into frankly, unnecessary fights, with Adjutant Resolution and I was thinking, can't we just tell the dude that Harbinger killed Pyre and we can't repair Zeta Halo cause they want to use it for some bad shit.

At the end, Adjutant apologises to us and I sorta think, shouldn't we apologise to him too?

I think I accepted this more because Chief has had such terrible experiences with Guilty Spark. He's done the whole dance of a monitor being on your side...for like 5 minutes...having it turn on you...later being friendly again....for like 5 minutes...then killing your friend in front of you. There's lived bad experiences there, and it's reasonable I think for Chief to be like "fuck these things...best just kill em so they can't get in my way later."

With the Harbinger/the Endless, they're a complete unknown.

Tagging.