By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo Infinite - Story Discussion - Unmarked Spoilers

Great. Let's talk about how the Forerunners didn't actually create the Halo rings. Or, at the very least, not the first Halo rings

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
Angelus said:

Great. Let's talk about how the Forerunners didn't actually create the Halo rings. Or, at the very least, not the first Halo rings

Nah, Zeta Halo was definitely made by the Forerunners, I've seen that conversation come up, I can't remember the exact wording but I'm fairly sure that she was simply saying there's things on Zeta Halo which are older than the Forerunners but not that Zeta Halo is older than the Forerunners which makes sense since Zeta Halo acts as a sort of prison for other species.

Nope, after the last artifact the final log definitely said that the ring predates the forerunners.

Ok nvm, it said runes, not rings. My bad

VersusEvil said:

So if you have an enemy (the Endless) that aren't affected by the firing of the rings and assuming they can't be killed hence the name and the fact that they where sealed away instead of being wiped out .... how tf are we supposed to deal with them when that expansion drops XD.

Also I'm assuming the Harbinger is one? I can't remember ever seeing her species design before ... 343 did pretty great with the design.

Well, they can clearly be killed, as we already killed one. 

I assume that they have the ability to control time and space to some degree, based on various hints we got throughout the game, which, for all their accomplishments, I don't believe the forerunners ever could.

Ryuu96 said:
Angelus said:

Nope, after the last artifact the final log definitely said that the ring predates the forerunners.

Ok nvm, it said runes, not rings. My bad

Makes ya wonder what else is trapped down there...

Flood Spore 👀

But they could be other species imprisoned there too.

Forerunners conveniently trapping future Halo enemies away for when the series needs a life injection lol

Ryuu96 said:
Angelus said:

Well, they can clearly be killed, as we already killed one. 

I assume that they have the ability to control time and space to some degree, based on various hints we got throughout the game, which, for all their accomplishments, I don't believe the forerunners ever could.

Forerunners must think if an Endless was infected by Flood it would literally be unstoppable, Rings were the last resort against The Flood, if a Ring no longer works on Flood then that's a terrifying thought to the Forerunners, I suppose from that perspective you can see why they would imprison them but that's still fucking scummy, Lol.

There's an ending dialogue for the Legendary ending where a Forerunner AI (I think) is talking and saying how time is a construct that Forerunners cannot control and they cannot allow it to be theirs (Endless) but did they really imprison them simply because of a possibility rather than something they actually did?

JFC Forerunners are bastards. Sorta makes me feel bad about killing The Endless

Ah ok, I hadn't seen the legendary ending yet, but I suppose that does make the time manipulation pretty clear then.

Forerunners are definitely pretty shady, to say the least. 

The artifact logs do also go into the fact that what the Forerunners feared most, perhaps, was not so much necessarily the flood, as the loss of control. Basically, they liked being top dog, and couldn't stand the thought of ever not being that. It's an interesting angle on them. The flood were always a very obvious sort of threat that makes for an easy excuse to come up with something as radical as the Halo rings as a "solution," but would the Forerunners in fact be willing to do terrible things on a similar type of galactic scale to a species that isn't neatly in the black/white lines of good/bad? Seems that they would.

Edit: And I know the Forerunners have done other shady things before, but a lot of it tend to come back to the excuse of the flood, and it's much more interesting imo to move their motivations beyond that.

Around the Network
VersusEvil said:

The scene were The Weapon realises who she is was so well done. Quite a few scenes where pretty moving. And yeah ... My mind went blank before hitting send, ofc you can kill the Endless as I just did lmao. Unless, we just killed a copy of her :P .. Im really intrigued to know why they're referred to as the Endless and it's implications. On a side note I found a few of those doors that look like the ones a monitor usually opens dotted at random spots around the world, wonder if they where cut "dungeons" of some sort.

Yea, that scene was great. The reveal was of course an obvious one, so for it to still be such an impactful scene really shows how much love and care went into writing.

Just generally, I had warm fuzzy feelings the whole time playing this game.

Definitely gonna miss old Cortana too...I might have sobbed a little lol. She had to go, of course, but man...so many good times. Chief and Cortana is fam.

Ryuu96 said:
Angelus said:

Ah ok, I hadn't seen the legendary ending yet, but I suppose that does make the time manipulation pretty clear then.

Forerunners are definitely pretty shady, to say the least. 

The artifact logs do also go into the fact that what the Forerunners feared most, perhaps, was not so much necessarily the flood, as the loss of control. Basically, they liked being top dog, and couldn't stand the thought of ever not being that. It's an interesting angle on them. The flood were always a very obvious sort of threat that makes for an easy excuse to come up with something as radical as the Halo rings as a "solution," but would the Forerunners in fact be willing to do terrible things on a similar type of galactic scale to a species that isn't neatly in the black/white lines of good/bad? Seems that they would.

Edit: And I know the Forerunners have done other shady things before, but a lot of it tend to come back to the excuse of the flood, and it's much more interesting imo to move their motivations beyond that.

Grand Edict: "Time will forget they ever existed"

Despondant Pyre: "Time is not a construct we can control"

Grand Edict: "And we cannot allow it to be theirs"

And then he says "We will learn their secrets" so it seems the main purpose to locking them up was because they want to learn their time manipulation secrets which, once again, points towards the Forerunners being utter bastards, Lol.

But I still wonder how strong they really are, I mean, Harbinger didn't do anything crazy to Chief apart from teleport everywhere so just how strong are their abilities? Their biggest threat seems to be being immune to Halo which is enough to be a scary threat. Time stuff is always tricky to get right so I hope 343 know what they're doing, Lol.

Ahh, I didn't see it from that perspective regarding the logs but that makes sense, The Forerunners are massive control freaks, so it's not that The Endless are more dangerous than The Flood but Forerunners being the control freaks they are, know that The Endless could screw up all their future plans and become the top dog of the Galaxy, that makes a lot more sense and I like that.

Yeah, Forerunners have done a lot of shady stuff, like killing their creators, Lol and indirectly causing the creation of The Flood.

Makes ya wonder, nobody truly knows what happened between Forerunners and Precursors and who was in the wrong, do The Endless know?

Well, the Harbinger, ultimately was just one Endless. We know too little about them to say they aren't a big threat beyond their knowledge of time manipulation (whatever that entails EXACTLY). Perhaps they're not truly dangerous individually, but massively so as a whole. Or perhaps the Harbinger just represents a very minor example of an endless. Are they even one race? Or are they another faction/collection of races working as one? It's all incredibly vague at this point. 343 could take it in a number of different directions.

Ryuu96 said:
VersusEvil said:

The scene were The Weapon realises who she is was so well done. Quite a few scenes where pretty moving. And yeah ... My mind went blank before hitting send, ofc you can kill the Endless as I just did lmao. Unless, we just killed a copy of her :P .. Im really intrigued to know why they're referred to as the Endless and it's implications. On a side note I found a few of those doors that look like the ones a monitor usually opens dotted at random spots around the world, wonder if they where cut "dungeons" of some sort.

Maybe they're immortal if they can manipulate time?

Even Forerunners aren't immortal but they can live for a stupidly long time, thousands of years.

Am I the only one who got Flood vibes though? Harbinger straight up quoted Gravemind multiple times and their names are similar (The Timeless One/The Endless), she drove Marines insane just from talking to them, ala Flood.

I need to know more! Lol.

Yea, the Gravemind quote drop from the Harbinger was definitely very interesting. That's not the kind of thing you write on accident, so we can certainly assume it has implications. 

Ryuu96 said:

Can't believe Cortana straight up split Doisac in half, I don't know if I should feel bad for the Brutes or not, Lol.

There's two species now in Halo without a homeworld, Brutes and Prophets.

Also now that The Created is dealt with, I'm assuming UNSC and Swords of Sanghelios are free now, all that is left is finding the new location of Zeta Halo then Chief can get some backup (hopefully). Arbiter isn't going to let The Banished do whatever they want, not for Humanities sake but because Atriox will go after Arbiter eventually when he inevitably gets in his way.

Chief can't beat Atriox solo either, dude was a fucking teddy bear to Atriox, slapping him into that fucking Warthog

Maybe. But Atriox did kinda come in and sucker punch him with an energy axe or whatever lol. After Chief was already pretty consumed with fighting off a bunch of other forces. Would Atriox win a straight up 1v1 that both walked into fully prepared? Possibly yes, possibly no.

Ryuu96 said:

Yeah, I checked the credits, Atriox VA is different, John DiMaggio for HW2, Ike Amadi for Halo Infinite...This...Displeases me

I think John was better, no offense to Ike as I thought his Locke was fine but John's Atriox is far superior, I knew something was off the moment he spoke, I don't know why 343 changed it but change it back, Lol.

https://youtu.be/4gKkNQg1TyM?t=78

https://youtu.be/Jhw0PJbdaS4?t=431

Comparison of the two.

Also, Atriox's facial downgrade from the start to the end, Lol.

Halo Infinite (Start)

Halo Infinite (End)

Lol. What happened? I hope he doesn't look like that in the future, it's a jarring downgrade to his badass look.

Also, I've noticed half his face is burnt.

I actually prefer the new one, hearing them back to back like that, but I imagine most either won't notice at all or have wildly different preferences on it.

As for the look...I mean, that's just going from CGI to in-game model, so no surprise there. Plus no war paint on the in-game model.