By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best looking console design?

I quite enjoyed the Gamecube. Unlike most consoles, just looking at it, made me want to play games. (though not necessarily on the Gamecube)

OG Xbox is nice too with its beastly size.

Phat PS3 is my pick for Sony.

Around the Network

I do like how the PS5 looks... vertically... because it is horrible if you want to play it horizontally imo I can't really rate it that highly.

I'm a fan of minimalism so the Xbox Series S is a great simple looking tiny device.

Best looking for each company I'd probably say

PlayStation - PS4 (OG)
Xbox - Xbox Series S
Nintendo - Wii v2 (the horizontal one, the grey vertical stand on the original Wii detracts from it's aesthetic to me)

Handheld: Vita with Switch a close second. Switch loses points for it's detachable controllers, which while very important functionally make it look aesthetically worse as a handheld device. Switch Lite doesn't have this problem but also doesn't look as good imo.

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 08 December 2021

Gamerscore:20,000  -  Trophies:3,800 -  Nintendo Awards: -1

My Xbox Series S is my baby. It grew up into an X.

Best - PS2 Slim. Simple yet elegant. Matte black and super thin makes it looks so sleek. Always wanted one of those but never got around to buying one.
Runner up - PS3 Slim. Again matte black with some subtle curves. Looks unique and not gaudy like a lot of console designs.. yet, not a boring box.
Both consoles looks great vertically or flat.

Honorable mention - SNES, PSOne, Gameboy.

shikamaru317 said:

My top 5 based purely on aesthetics:

1. Xbox 360 S

2. Xbox Series X

3. Sega Genesis 2

4. Xbox One X

5. Xbox 360

And though no Nintendo or Sony systems make my top 5, my favorite looking Nintendo console is the New Switch OLED in Black and White, while my favorite looking Sony console is the PS2.

Interesting, I think the PS2 is the ugliest Sony console lol

TheWalrusCaesar said:
shikamaru317 said:

My top 5 based purely on aesthetics:

1. Xbox 360 S

2. Xbox Series X

3. Sega Genesis 2

4. Xbox One X

5. Xbox 360

And though no Nintendo or Sony systems make my top 5, my favorite looking Nintendo console is the New Switch OLED in Black and White, while my favorite looking Sony console is the PS2.

Interesting, I think the PS2 is the ugliest Sony console lol

These days I tend to like simple designs, and PS2 is among Sony's simplest designs, not overly busy like my PS4 Pro or overly flashy like the PS5. I also quite like the PS3, PS3 Slim, and PS2 Slim though. PS1 and PS4/PS4 Slim are OK, it's really only the PS4 Pro, PS3 Super Slim, and PS5 designs from Sony that I don't like.

Around the Network
dx11332sega said:

This looks ridiculous.

Kakadu18 said:
dx11332sega said:

This looks ridiculous.

The Nerd: You plop it on the top of the Genesis, like they're mating. God, I mean, do you think that's enough add-ons? It doesn't even look aesthetically presentable. I mean, it's just like an ugly tumor. I mean, did they really need all this bullshit leeching on the Genesis? That poor Genesis is just thinking: "Oh, please, God, take this shit off me." It's like getting gang-raped. Both of its slots are getting f*cked at the same time.

I usually don't care much about the aesthetics of a console at all. I care about the software, specs, cooling, etc. But of course, I'm here and I'll bite.

Xbox Series X: I love the tower look and the fan at the top. Really cool.
PSOne: The standard look is pretty great, but I love the smaller PSOne design even more.
GameCube: Love the little lunchbox
Dreamcast: Simple but appealing
Atari 2600 Wood Grain Models: Iconic

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Of the current systems the best design is the Series S in my opinion. Of all time, though...

1. Gameboy Advance

2. Gamecube

3. Series S

4th=. Xbox 360 S (in matte)

4th=. PS2 Slim

I can't decide which of the 360 S or the PS2 slim looks better. The PS2 made me feel as if I was stepping into the future. The 360 S was for me the first really modern console, without falling into any ultra-modernist or over-the-top themes. 

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!