By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 47, 2021 - (15th Nov - 21st Nov)

If PS5 shipments go on like this it could lose its aligned lead over the PS4.
How far ahead is it now?

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

How far ahead is it now?

In Japan ps5 is about 20k ahead of PS4. It will lose it next week unless there's a big shipment suddenly. Might retake it in december though as launch aligned PS4 is in February now.

Zippy6 said:
curl-6 said:

How far ahead is it now?

In Japan ps5 is about 20k ahead of PS4. It will lose it next week unless there's a big shipment suddenly. Might retake it in december though as launch aligned PS4 is in February now.

Cheers; PS5 vs PS4 in Japan is definitely going to be an interesting one to watch over the years to come. Could go either way.

Kakadu18 said:
Link_Nines.XBC said:

Source?

Because 4.3k shipped (assuming they're selling everything they ship) is beyond terrible.

I think he means lifetime, which is true. It's just behind the US and the UK and just in front of Germany. But Japan also has a very big population. Selling 3mil units in Japan is a flop while in the UK it would be a success.

Japan may be even ahead of UK in PS5 shipments. Goes to show, how people in this thread think PS5 supply is bad in Japan, and Japan is the 2nd most shipped country.

PS4 LTD in UK is near 8 million iirc, so 3 million would be a flop in the UK as well. Sony is probably aiming for 9-10 mil PS5s in UK, very similar to Japan.

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Cheers; PS5 vs PS4 in Japan is definitely going to be an interesting one to watch over the years to come. Could go either way.

I don't think so. PS5 sales have been significantly inflated by the global PS5 shortage, because it's clear from the software sales that the actual demand for the PS5 sits far below the hardware sales it has achieved so far.

You can't ignore how much the software situation has changed either. Last generation it was the norm that a lot of third party games skipped the Nintendo consoles, but by now it's almost exclusively only the bigger Japanese software publishers who have games left that aren't coming to PS and Nintendo, but only PS. These big budget games are bigger sellers and therefore more important individually, but they are also far fewer in numbers, so the PS5's hardware baseline will inevitably suffer over the years.

The only way PS5 vs. PS4 can remain a close race is if the global chip shortage persists for several years in combination with a too big ongoing PS5 allocation for Japan. The semiconductor shortage will continue well into 2022, but Sony's too high shipment allocation might not go hand in hand with that as it did for most of 2021. Sometime during 2023 it should become clearly visible in the PS5 vs. PS4 comparison that the PS5 won't be able to keep up.

How can one determine the native demand for PS5 based off software sales if the global shortage is drawing consoles from the country? People do not buy software for platforms they don't own, but how many people want to own the platform? 

Around the Network

No shit demand is up pre holiday

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Otter said:
RolStoppable said:

I don't think so. PS5 sales have been significantly inflated by the global PS5 shortage, because it's clear from the software sales that the actual demand for the PS5 sits far below the hardware sales it has achieved so far.

You can't ignore how much the software situation has changed either. Last generation it was the norm that a lot of third party games skipped the Nintendo consoles, but by now it's almost exclusively only the bigger Japanese software publishers who have games left that aren't coming to PS and Nintendo, but only PS. These big budget games are bigger sellers and therefore more important individually, but they are also far fewer in numbers, so the PS5's hardware baseline will inevitably suffer over the years.

The only way PS5 vs. PS4 can remain a close race is if the global chip shortage persists for several years in combination with a too big ongoing PS5 allocation for Japan. The semiconductor shortage will continue well into 2022, but Sony's too high shipment allocation might not go hand in hand with that as it did for most of 2021. Sometime during 2023 it should become clearly visible in the PS5 vs. PS4 comparison that the PS5 won't be able to keep up.

How can one determine the native demand for PS5 based off software sales if the global shortage is drawing consoles from the country? People do not buy software for platforms they don't own, but how many people want to own the platform? 

mostly casue the very low attach ratio in japan specifically, where there is a high phisical attatch ratio AND the cheapest place to buy the console, means that its very likely that a LOT of the consoles sold in japan are actually resold overseas.

plus, we are still in year 1, meaning its still early adopter boom stage so far.

TheBraveGallade said:
Otter said:

mostly casue the very low attach ratio in japan specifically, where there is a high phisical attatch ratio AND the cheapest place to buy the console, means that its very likely that a LOT of the consoles sold in japan are actually resold overseas.

plus, we are still in year 1, meaning its still early adopter boom stage so far.

This we all agree on, but does this mean that there is low demand in Japan? 

For example I know several people in Japan who have been unable to get their hands on a PS5 despite wanting one. Infact David Gibson was only recently able to secure one because of the lottery system. How do we work out what the actual demand is in Japan, simply knowing that systems are being resold overseas (which also means less software sales) doesn't give us this answer. We know that there is international demand fueling sales in Japan, but we also know that the native demand in Japan is not being met by supply for this very reason. 

Last edited by Otter - on 30 November 2021

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

I'm not sure I've ever bought into the notion that low supply increases sales. That one was often used against the Wii back in like 2007/2008 I recall, and even the Switch.

And I'm pretty sure several tech companies have said the chip shortage will persist into 2023 anyway.

RolStoppable said:

We can derive from first year sales of the Vita and the PS4 that less than a million Japanese gamers would have wanted a PS5 during year 1, based on the PS5 lineup not being any more appealing than its predecessor's. If Japanese gamers were truly interested in the PS5, then there would be more effort from their side to get one and more effort from retailers to sell to Japanese gamers, because that way the retailers could sell games too.

We know that PS5's bought in Japan are exported afterwards, so it should go without saying that numbers from lotteries are inflated too.

curl-6 said:

I'm not sure I've ever bought into the notion that low supply increases sales. That one was often used against the Wii back in like 2007/2008 I recall, and even the Switch.

And I'm pretty sure several tech companies have said the chip shortage will persist into 2023 anyway.

You misunderstood my post. Too low supply in countries with actually high demand for the PS5 has resulted in PS5 consoles being bought in Japan for the sole purpose of being exported into countries where people want to own them (primarily mainland Asia and South America). This is why PS5 hardware and PS5 software sales in Japan are so out of sync with each other.

The situation is going to come to an end by either global demand being met or Sony stopping to ship more PS5s to Japan than there's demand for them among Japanese gamers. Due to the chip shortages the latter is more likely to happen sooner.

Isn't the lottery system the effort to cut  out scalpers and sell to genuine consumers? What more can retailers do? Either way we know that plenty of real consumers are struggling to get their hands on it even if the demand (which is much higher than supply) is inflated. Overseas markets willing to pay more/having higher demand, doesn't mean that the demand domestically is absent.

We can guess at the real demand by software lineup but that's extremely sketchy and wouldn't take into account a more front loaded adoption preference from playstation audiences, even if the audience was similar in size/ shrinking. Software wise similar arguments have been made in the west about "lack of software/exclusives" but demand far outpaces predecessor's at this point for both playstation/xbox.

The sharp drop off in PS4 software sales exactly at the arrival of PS5 indicates to me a strong portion of the audience eager to move on to the new platform (similar to whats seen in the west). PS5s baseline could be 10k or it could be 30k, I look forward to us actually being able to see it but that'll be a while off and until then all software sales tell us is that there is higher demand outside of Japan, but that doesn't answer what demand is like in Japan.