By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Game Awards Thread (2021) It Takes Two Wins GOTY

What excites you most about TGA?

The winners 2 4.44%

The tears of the losers 2 4.44%

Geoff getting visibly frustrated 1 2.22%

Game Announcements 26 57.78%

The guy who voices "world premiere" 4 8.89%

When the credits role 2 4.44%

Revealing viewership from last year to brag 0 0%

Josef fares... Anything to do with the man 4 8.89%

Live Music 0 0%

A rumored game once again not bring announced 4 8.89%

Total:45

How are racing games suddenly not popular?

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:

How are racing games suddenly not popular?

Racing titles are def out there and bought, they just don't win many GOTY awards:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_of_the_Year_awards

Ctrl+F and type in racing and you'll spot 5 entrees of the entire roster of venue GOTY lists (same goes for strategy as well, 5 entrees in total). 

Last edited by Chazore - on 18 November 2021

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Zippy6 said:

This just comes down to some genres being more popular than others, people pick the game they like the most which will be from the genre(s) they like the most, and it's not necessarily the game they think deserves the highest numerical rating either. E.G you may think "Yeah it's a 9/10 racing game, not much they could have done better... but it's still a racing game and I enjoy other genres more." And instead nominate a game that you only gave 8/10, because you can see it's flawed and has it's problems so deserves a lower rating but you still love it and enjoyed it more anyway so it's your game of the year.

People will pick the games they enjoy the most, the games that connect with them the most and the games they find the most memorable to be their game of the year.

The number of people that will say "Racing" is their favourite genre of game or "Strategy" is their favourite genre of game will be greatly dwarfed by other genres such as Action/RPG/Shooter, which is why far more Action/RPG/Shooter games are made.

It's been like this for years though, even back in the days when Racing and Strategy were actually popular, they still didn't win out against what still wins today.

Then why not simply pick someone else who actually has differnt tastes, instead of picking the same outlets, year after year, who never ever seem to change in their taste of genre?.

Don't you see this as a tad mundane and insane to look at over the years?. I mean, Vaas wasn't wrong in Far Cry 3, when he told you the definition of insanity, and well, opinions or not, this same outcome reads like such a pattern, either that or a good chunk of those outlets are simple minded.

See while Azz thinks there's some form of conspiracy going on with the awards, I think people are too stupid to notice a repetitive pattern and that it keeps playing out. Yes I know people can like X or Y thing, but mate, I love art, I want to draw different shit, and yet half the furry fandom do this thing where they dabble in fetish art and they literally spam the one thing they like, and that tends to put off some artists over time, to a point where they want to change what kind of commissions they take (that's a huge hint, if you didn't already take what I'm getting at here, if you refuse to see that, then I don't know how to describe it to you to make you see the issue here). 

Take it from my view, I love RTS and platformers, even ARPG's, but you know what I don't want to see?, them winning year after year, because that would be both repetitive and boring of an outcome and show that tastes have been watered down. All I want to see are different results, chances for others to win and strive forward, but that's clearly not happening in the awards in the games industry over the years, because the same stuff keeps being chosen time and time again.

I get what you mean and sort of agree. But at the end your trying to fight what genre of games the most people love. Even if you change the media outlets they would just gravitate to whats most popular cuz that what makes them money. Its like streamers going after the most popular games. How many of them say openly they hate COD but play it anyways? They know its what people want and makes them money. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Ahhh it's that time of year where I'm reminded that I don't play that many new titles during a given year.

Signature goes here!

Zippy6 said:
Azzanation said:

Lets look at last year and this year.

Half Life Alyx is considered one of the best games ever made, sat as one of the best reviewed games that year and has a great User score, only got nominated for VR GOTY.. wasnt eligible. 

Forza Horizon 5, same deal, one of if not the best recieved and played games this year, offering some of the best visuals, sound design, value and is the highest rated game this year isnt eligible. 

Some shifty stuff happening at The Game Awards. Im sorry if you dont agree but its quite obvious that they want to choose games that suit thier viewerships instead.

Half Life Alyx WAS eligible, it didn't get enough votes to make it into the top 5. You are the under the misguided idea that highest metascore means it will get most nominations.

The nominations are made by the "entire editorial staff" of "over 100 media outlets". How many of these people played Half-Life Alyx? There's the limit on how many of these people can nominate it, it's a VR game so likely not that many. Next: how many of these people would pick it as their favourite game of the year? Note: Favourite game, not game they'd give the highest numerical score.

Here is how the nominees are chosen:

"Nominees for most categories of The Game Awards are chosen by an international jury of over 100 global media and influencer outlets, selected for their history of critical evaluation of video games.

Specialized juries also convene for other categories including esports and accessibility.

Each voting outlet completes a confidential, unranked ballot based on the collective and diverse opinion of its entire editorial staff, listing out its top five choices in each category.

Ballots are tabulated, and the five games that appear on the most ballots are put forth as nominees. In the event of a tie, six (or more) nominees will be announced in a category."

I am not saying Metascores is what wins GOTY, i never have and it never was the case. However it definitely helps to have the conversation. FH5 is the highest rated game this year and its not even eligible to be a nominee..

I dont believe in the system. I dont believe in these 100+ critics. I believe its all about putting games in the overall GOTY award that will make a splash in viewership to bolster the show, thats why we see Fortnite pop its head multiple times or Cyberpunk 2066. I dont care what they try to sell you in saying "we have 100 critics who vote" nonsense. Its no different to if EA came out and said we build true games for true gamers. Same crap, different bucket.

You cant have 2 years running where some of the best overall games don't get the nod for GOTY. If the critics havnt played those games than wtf is the point in having thier opinion? Its an award for the best game for that year, not a popularity contest which is what it seems to be.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:

I get what you mean and sort of agree. But at the end your trying to fight what genre of games the most people love. Even if you change the media outlets they would just gravitate to whats most popular cuz that what makes them money. Its like streamers going after the most popular games. How many of them say openly they hate COD but play it anyways? They know its what people want and makes them money. 

I know, but I just can't help but see this as being insanely mundane and predictable, to a point where I've gotta hand it to the bean counters working for the publishers/investors, these people are regarded as whales that net them such money, and well, I guess they have a point in seeing them as that (much as I hate that name).

I openly hate CoD and stopped playing it, same with R* games, but that's because I chose to stick to what I said I disliked and instead play other games instead. Remember the MW2 boycott years ago?, yeah those people lacked anything of a spine.

I still see streamers out there making something for themselves, without having to go to the most played games (I watch a streamer who literally just plays old Resi games and modded Resi Outbreak, and he gets tons of donations and even gets to collab with RE Remake and OG voice actors, which is something rare).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
eva01beserk said:

I know, but I just can't help but see this as being insanely mundane and predictable, to a point where I've gotta hand it to the bean counters working for the publishers/investors, these people are regarded as whales that net them such money, and well, I guess they have a point in seeing them as that (much as I hate that name).

I openly hate CoD and stopped playing it, same with R* games, but that's because I chose to stick to what I said I disliked and instead play other games instead. Remember the MW2 boycott years ago?, yeah those people lacked anything of a spine.

I still see streamers out there making something for themselves, without having to go to the most played games (I watch a streamer who literally just plays old Resi games and modded Resi Outbreak, and he gets tons of donations and even gets to collab with RE Remake and OG voice actors, which is something rare).

Pretty much what im thinking. They become coorporatized. And this is also coming from someone that my favourite genres are the ones that usually win. But knowing the games that win from a mile away just makes the awards seems meaningless. 

Im honestly probably just tune in for what ever reveals might happen . 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Man, some of the discourse here is pretty...strange. I don't understand this 'it got the highest metacritic so it should be the game of the year' arguments. Like, review scores are often meant as a metric of how well it did something specific, Forza Horizon is an outstanding RACING game, but it's still just a racing game. that doesn't mean it's not great, it just means it's a bit more niche. It didn't and won't have the impact of a Death Loop or Returnal or Ratchet & Clank or Metroid Dread or It Takes Two.

It's such a strange phenomenon because, like, I do agree it was one of the best at what it did but just like sports titles it seems weird to give it a game of the year award. with no story, no characters, no real plot, just arcadey racing - even if it's GOOD arcadey racing - it makes perfect sense that it didn't leave as much of an impact even if it did review well.

I don't even like The Last of Us, but I agree with it winning because it was the most artistically bold, it was the best designed, it was the most creative and original, it was the one that was most daring. Forza Horizon 5 is a great racing game but I wouldn't nominate it for GOTY any more than Fifa 2022 or whatever football game is out. IT's just a refinement on a game genre that was mastered years ago. that makes it amazing, but impact matters and once Forza Horizon 6 comes out, nobody's gonna be talking about Forza Horizon 5. It's just an iterative take on an established franchise. That does matter.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Azzanation said:
Zippy6 said:

Half Life Alyx WAS eligible, it didn't get enough votes to make it into the top 5. You are the under the misguided idea that highest metascore means it will get most nominations.

The nominations are made by the "entire editorial staff" of "over 100 media outlets". How many of these people played Half-Life Alyx? There's the limit on how many of these people can nominate it, it's a VR game so likely not that many. Next: how many of these people would pick it as their favourite game of the year? Note: Favourite game, not game they'd give the highest numerical score.

Here is how the nominees are chosen:

"Nominees for most categories of The Game Awards are chosen by an international jury of over 100 global media and influencer outlets, selected for their history of critical evaluation of video games.

Specialized juries also convene for other categories including esports and accessibility.

Each voting outlet completes a confidential, unranked ballot based on the collective and diverse opinion of its entire editorial staff, listing out its top five choices in each category.

Ballots are tabulated, and the five games that appear on the most ballots are put forth as nominees. In the event of a tie, six (or more) nominees will be announced in a category."

I am not saying Metascores is what wins GOTY, i never have and it never was the case. However it definitely helps to have the conversation. FH5 is the highest rated game this year and its not even eligible to be a nominee..

I dont believe in the system. I dont believe in these 100+ critics. I believe its all about putting games in the overall GOTY award that will make a splash in viewership to bolster the show, thats why we see Fortnite pop its head multiple times or Cyberpunk 2066. I dont care what they try to sell you in saying "we have 100 critics who vote" nonsense. Its no different to if EA came out and said we build true games for true gamers. Same crap, different bucket.

You cant have 2 years running where some of the best overall games don't get the nod for GOTY. If the critics havnt played those games than wtf is the point in having thier opinion? Its an award for the best game for that year, not a popularity contest which is what it seems to be.

Is so hard to believe the media outlets just choose action adventure because that's the most popular genre and the ones that appeals the most?

If the point was to bring in views, they would nominee anything that was highly popular like FIFA or COD. Instead we see indies 

I'm glad to see Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart doing great. But I'm surprised to not see Monster Hunter Rise... It was last year ?