By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
numberwang said:

"I've been down for days from the vaxx but I want more shots"

"I've got Covid symptoms despite my boosters but it's a great product anyway"

"My gf is double vaxxed and tested positive so I blame it on the lack of booooosterinos"

I could explain the science of it, but this is an incredibly rude and thoughtless thing to post when someone is genuinely worrying about the wellbeing (not just physically) of somebody they love. Show some empathy or at least some restraint.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 February 2022

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

My heart is breaking for my girlfriend right now. She's recently started work as a kindergarten teacher, having finished her master's degree in early childhood education last year, and it's so hard for her.

Just yesterday three people at her workplace tested positive. She hasn't been able to get her booster yet because of our incompetent government fucking up the vaccine rollout. Her employer isn't treating her the best either. I wish there was more I could do to help, but it seems all I can is listen and try my best to be supportive. I feel so helpless.

A shame Australia has handled the vaccine rollout badly, here in the UK the vast majority of adults have been able to get one whenever they want for weeks now. Two doses will still help a lot though so while it's not ideal she'll be fine unless extremely unlucky. 

Norion said:
curl-6 said:

My heart is breaking for my girlfriend right now. She's recently started work as a kindergarten teacher, having finished her master's degree in early childhood education last year, and it's so hard for her.

Just yesterday three people at her workplace tested positive. She hasn't been able to get her booster yet because of our incompetent government fucking up the vaccine rollout. Her employer isn't treating her the best either. I wish there was more I could do to help, but it seems all I can is listen and try my best to be supportive. I feel so helpless.

A shame Australia has handled the vaccine rollout badly, here in the UK the vast majority of adults have been able to get one whenever they want for weeks now. Two doses will still help a lot though so while it's not ideal she'll be fine unless extremely unlucky. 

Yeah, at this stage it's mostly about the huge amount of stress it places on her, especially as it's hard enough already that this is her first ever job as a kindergarten teacher out of Uni. English is also her second language, and although she speaks it very well, sometimes others don't understand her accent perfectly, and she's also faced racism at work before.

It just hurts to see someone I love suffering, and I wish I could do more to ease the pressure on her.

curl-6 said:
Norion said:

Yeah, at this stage it's mostly about the huge amount of stress it places on her, especially as it's hard enough already that this is her first ever job as a kindergarten teacher out of Uni. English is also her second language, and although she speaks it very well, sometimes others don't understand her accent perfectly, and she's also faced racism at work before.

It just hurts to see someone I love suffering, and I wish I could do more to ease the pressure on her.

You're making a real difference by being supportive and whatnot I'm sure. I wish her the best and once things get better you could very well become even closer from getting past the hardship.

Norion said:
curl-6 said:

You're making a real difference by being supportive and whatnot I'm sure. I wish her the best and once things get better you could very well become even closer from getting past the hardship.

Thanks so much. I'm trying my best to support her through it. Hope it gets easier for her as time goes on and she adjusts to the demands of the job, or if things don't improve, that she can find a better workplace. 

Around the Network
numberwang said:

"I've been down for days from the vaxx but I want more shots"

"I've got Covid symptoms despite my boosters but it's a great product anyway"

"My gf is double vaxxed and tested positive so I blame it on the lack of booooosterinos"

What are you on about?

No wait, better question: What are you on?

Kakadu18 said:
Metallox said:

Two shots and booster. I like to imagine it could've been way worse without them. 

And thanks for the wishes. I finally tested negative yesterday and got allowed to return to work starting tomorrow. I still have coughs on a regular basis, sucks that the symptoms take this long to vanish. 

I fear, without the vaccine you might have not made it.

Just saw this response, and I think not, I would not have survived, lol. A few days later after returning to work it turned out that I had moderate pulmonary fibrosis, which presumably became to be because my lungs had already been dealing with a previous condition for some time, or that's the suspicion. The virus just dealt the final blow. I'm still waiting for the analysis, but my doctor suspects arthritis. I'm feeling uneasy, mostly because of the prospect of having to consume even MORE medication, this time potentially for the rest of my life. 

But, anyway. Mostly wanted to say that and cheer up curl, not sure if your girlfriend could consider moving from workplace if her employer is not being very cooperative. Around here, schools help in acquiring boosters, because, yeah, distribution is also poor here, too. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Metallox said:
Kakadu18 said:

I fear, without the vaccine you might have not made it.

Just saw this response, and I think not, I would not have survived, lol. A few days later after returning to work it turned out that I had moderate pulmonary fibrosis, which presumably became to be because my lungs had already been dealing with a previous condition for some time, or that's the suspicion. The virus just dealt the final blow. I'm still waiting for the analysis, but my doctor suspects arthritis. I'm feeling uneasy, mostly because of the prospect of having to consume even MORE medication, this time potentially for the rest of my life. 

But, anyway. Mostly wanted to say that and cheer up curl, not sure if your girlfriend could consider moving from workplace if her employer is not being very cooperative. Around here, schools help in acquiring boosters, because, yeah, distribution is also poor here, too. 

Thank you. :) If her employer doesn't step up I will try to convince her to find a place that treats her better. She is reluctant to quit as she feels so lucky to have landed her first job in her field, but it is really taking a big toll her. It's mostly just stuff like they lied to her about the facilities she would have, and don't give her as much time as she was promised for preparation or her break. It all adds up when she's already under a lot of stress.

Just started back at mentoring for the year, working with a group of a dozen or so autistics aged 17-19; with this range we mostly focus on supporting them through the last years of high school and the transition to the post-school world, which can be an incredibly difficult stage of life even at the best of times. A big part of it is just showing them that their future isn't all doom and gloom, as us teachers are autistic like them and we are "adulting" just fine. When I was their age there were just no positive role models for kids on the spectrum, and I felt like I had no future; that's something we hope to change for the next generation.

No matter how long I do this job, I still get anxious as hell and feel imposter syndrome kicking in before going back to work, but somehow once we start it works out. I mean, it's a challenging occupation, but it's also amazingly rewarding.

Anyway, first session went really well! Most of the kids were pretty shy and withdrawn but that's normal at the start of a program as the setting and people are new to them which can be scary. As things go on, they tend to become more comfortable and come out of their shell more and more.

Me being a gamer is a HUGE help. So many of the kids are passionate gamers themselves, so its a great way to connect with them and make me seem less like a boring old teacher haha. Never fails to make me smile when I mention I'm into Nintendo and see their faces light up. When I bring my Switch on stream when we share our interests it always gets a great reaction.

In out first session for example, one of the kids was a big Nintendo fan and another was super into Monster Hunter, so we immediately had a point of connection. 

Our "special interests" are a huge focus of the program, and I've seen kids who wouldn't even speak at the start get to the point of giving a speech in front of the whole group about their love of Zelda or Minecraft by the end. Gaming really can be a wonderful thing, especially for those of us who need an escape from the stress of the real world sometimes, or who can use a little help connecting to others.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 10 February 2022

9 p.m where I'm at. Got startled by heavy banging at my front door. I armed up in case it was trouble and when I reached the door, there were 6 police cars outside flashing lights on (the whole shebang). I unarmed before opening the front door and they were there because the driver's side door, of my Jeep was wide open. I'm glad they were concerned about me and my properties well-being and they suggested I inspect the vehicle closely for any missing items.

It was at that point I realized I was standing in front of at least 11 police officers in my fucking adult onesies. I told them I was going to get my keys and do a quick change of clothes. After inspecting everything, I saw no signs of forced entry, no damage anywhere, and can only assume 2 things. 1. I was bringing in packages into my house after work and accidentally left my door open (I've never done anything like that before). 2. Sophisticated thief with improvised key fab. I don't keep anything in my vehicles except a small box of N-95 masks. Those were still there.

I apologized to the law enforcement for having to go through that much hassle, but I think it was mainly due to my embarrassment. Not to mention all those flashing lights and ruckus also had the entire neighborhood outside watching. I'm sure plenty of body cams have me on film. Again, fucking embarrassed but thankful.

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 10 February 2022

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.