By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

Eric2048 said:
Mnementh said:

#44: I recently heard about this game with the ability to kick the enemies to their death, an old Arkane game, Dark Messiah I think.

#41: Must be DQ:Rocket Slime.

#44 is indeed Dark Messiah of Might and Magic 

#41 is incorrect. 

As Microsoft now owns Arkane, does Dark Messiah now come to Gamepass?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

#37: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - PS3

While first game laid a good foundation for the series, the sequel brought a perfect balance of fun 3rd person shooter combat, interesting puzzles, great characters  and amazing set pieces to the table and remains to this day the peak of the Uncharted series. The game has so many great moments starting right from the get-go as you climb out of a train hanging off a cliff, the dynamic between the characters is very interesting with Chloe's allegiance being always in question and the love triangle that forms when Elena shows up. 

Signature goes here!

Farsala said:
Mnementh said:

There are more playing this? I was interested for some time, but few of the games got localized. This one even got a Switch release, so no new console needed, so I tried it out.

I have played 7-14. Underrated franchise for sure.

Well, people these days usually don't like turn-based. The base theme with chinese history (mixed with mythology) is also something western culture usually ignores. So I don't expect it to become big or anything. I just hope we get a localization.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd

YoY: NEW

The biggest chance in the list of my favourite games over the last few years has been increased presence of the Trails-series of games. I've played seven different games in the series, six of which are in my top 50, and the only one that isn't is off simply because I only finished it for the first time last week, so it'll probably make it in next year. Trails in the Sky the 3rd is the lowest ranking game from the franchise on my list, but I still obviously consider it an excellent game.

Serving as almost an epilogue to the first two games, Trails in the Sky the 3rd features a largely returning cast of characters, but the story is told from the point of view of one new character and one returning character who had previously been in a supporting role. The narrative is much more uneven than in the first two games, but features some genuinely heartbreaking and brilliant moments. The characters are excellent, and seeing many of these familiar character return after resolving the previous conflict at the end of the second game is always satisfying.

The battle system is also a lot of fun, and is surprisingly deep and tactical when you start going against some of the game's more difficult enemies. The soundtrack also maintains the high quality of the earlier titles, and contains numerous gorgeous themes, including the one below.

#36: Minecraft

The defining sandbox game. The possibilities are endless, you can do anything. I spend hundreds of hours in this game letting my nonexistent creativity flow freely.

That's all I have to say about Minecraft.

Around the Network
ARamdomGamer said:

#43 - Pokemon Sword - Nintendo Switch

It's nice to see I'm not the only one who loved Sword/Shield. I think it gets a lot of hate for its Dexit, but I actually prefer not having to start from scratch on almost 900 Pokemon. Plus the raid battles were fun, the breeding was a lot more fun, it was just more streamlined. The only real complaint I had was that the performance tanked if you were online in the wild area. Other than that, it was pretty much exactly what I wanted after what I felt was a weak generation in Sun/Moon. 

The_Liquid_Laser said:
S.Peelman said:

45: Sometimes I feel like guessing the same game of multiple people lists, but Symphony of the Night.

42: Dark Souls 2?

45. Correct!

42. Correct!

Dark Souls 2 is the only Fromsoft Soulslike not on my list. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls III, Bloodborne, and Sekiro are all on my list. I recently started a new Coop playthrough with a couple of friends (with whom I've played Dark souls 1, 3, and Bloodborne with, coop) and within an hour both of them were also on board with me hating it. Like, in the forest of fallen giants, my one buddy was like 'this isn't hard, this is cheap bullshit. It's like the devs were like 'hurrr, this is dark souls' and just decided to throw a dozen things at you at once'. 

My hatred for DS2 is legendary, but I was actively avoiding bitching about it to them since I wanted them to come to their own conclusions and not be biased by my opinions. I just found it so funny that even without prompting they immediately understood why so many people dislike Dark Souls II (or more specifically, Scholar of the first sin.) We've gone on to beat it but every time we played we got to have a smarmy bitch-fest about how poorly designed it is, how bad the UI and interaction is, how hilariously bad the hitboxes are, how lame the bosses are, etc. It's a fun time hate-playing it and roasting it. 

It's a bad game. :P

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

#35: Everyone is here! Even canonically dead characters! 
Hint 2: The series' formula is changed from 1v1 to 2v2 instead.

#34: Who knew police stations had so many secret passages? The new one.

Signature goes here!

Kakadu18 said:

(..)

The Mona Lisa of video games.

(..)

"The Mona Lisa of video games". I like that.

TruckOSaurus said:

#35: Everyone is here! Even canonically dead characters! 
Hint 2: The series' formula is changed from 1v1 to 2v2 instead.

#34: Who knew police stations had so many secret passages? The new one.

34 - Resident Evil 2 remake? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

More hints:

41. a. This is a more kid friendly GBA sequel to a PS1 game with a more serious storyline.
b. In this game you can choose from a variety of humanoid races for your characters, while on the PS1 game you could only create human characters.

40. The protagonist of this PS2 game just barely made it as one of the Bros.

39.  This Switch game somehow feels like the sequel to two different games simultaneously.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 26 November 2021