By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

TruckOSaurus said:

#35: Everyone is here! Even canonically dead characters! 
Hint 2: The series' formula is changed from 1v1 to 2v2 instead.

#34: Who knew police stations had so many secret passages? The new one.

35- Tekken Tag Tournament?

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
TruckOSaurus said:

34 - Resident Evil 2 remake? 

Yup!

Farsala said:
TruckOSaurus said:

35- Tekken Tag Tournament?

Correct!

Signature goes here!

Im surprised no one has guessed my #39, I felt it was obvious enough but perhaps the franchise is a bit more obscure than I thought? 

This time the hints are gonna be very general, but at the same very obvious... for me at least.

#39:

Hint: In this PS1 game at times you play segments as the main villain, who happens to be "the other half" of the main protagonist. Two parts of a whole, lets say. 

Hint 2: This is the 4th entry of this awesome, but sadly defunct, franchise. 

Hint 3: As it happens in every game entry of the franchise, the main character has blue hair. 

Hint: This was the best metroidvania ever... until SOTN released

Hint: Im just gonna go ahead and say this is the best main entry Mario game ever, so obviously its not a 3D game. 

Hint: This is the best Final Fantasy spinoff game ever made. 

Jpcc86 said:

Im surprised no one has guessed my #39, I felt it was obvious enough but perhaps the franchise is a bit more obscure than I thought? 

This time the hints are gonna be very general, but at the same very obvious... for me at least.

#39:

Hint: In this PS1 game at times you play segments as the main villain, who happens to be "the other half" of the main protagonist. Two parts of a whole, lets say. 

Hint 3: As it happens in every game entry of the franchise, the main character has blue hair. 

Hint: Im just gonna go ahead and say this is the best main entry Mario game ever, so obviously its not a 3D game. 

#39: Breath of Fire IV ?

#35: Um.. Super Metroid ?

#34: Super Mario Bros. 3

#33: Final Fantasy Tactics

Signature goes here!

Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360)

YoY: +1

The one game that back in the late 2000s had me considering actually buying a 360. Final Fantasy was in something of a slump at the time, and JRPGs in general were going through a difficult period, where a lot of companies had seemingly decided that the genre was no longer popular. More traditional games had especially seemingly fallen out of favour, and a lot of developers were experimenting with new gameplay styles with varying degrees of success. It was into that environment that Lost Odyssey was released back in 2008 (in the west).

I didn't actually get around to playing the game until a few years ago, because I simply couldn't justify getting an entire console for a single game. When I finally did play it, I can say that the wait was worth it. A lot of people complained about the game's very traditional gameplay at the time of its release, but to me it was pretty much perfect. The story, characters, battle system, music by Nobuo Uematsu, and the setting were all great. It felt like playing a classic Final Fantasy game, and that was exactly what I wanted from Lost Odyssey. The short stories found within the game, called A Thousand Year of Dreams, are also some of the very best writing I've ever encountered in video games.

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
Jpcc86 said:

#39:

You are right on all of them except #34, which was the #47 of my list :p

The_Liquid_Laser said:

More hints:

41. a. This is a more kid friendly GBA sequel to a PS1 game with a more serious storyline.
b. In this game you can choose from a variety of humanoid races for your characters, while on the PS1 game you could only create human characters.

40. The protagonist of this PS2 game just barely made it as one of the Bros.

39.  This Switch game somehow feels like the sequel to two different games simultaneously.

41 is Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Jpcc86 said:
TruckOSaurus said:

So is #34 super Mario World? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
Jpcc86 said:

So is #34 super Mario World? 

Aye, thats the one!

Eric2048 said:

#44 Is a first person Rpg where you fight with swords and magic but it probably isn't the first thing that pops into your head. Hint #2 it features ragdoll physics and you can find some pretty creative ways to defeat your enemies.

#41 This game is the second game in a spinoff series from a well known rpg franchise. You use "magic keys" to travel to other worlds. Hint#2 It is a turn based Rpg. One of the monsters you can encounter is a slime creature.

#40 This is the first game from a certain playstation franchise that hasn't seen a new entry for some time now. Hint#2 The main character has a unique weapon which he uses for melee attacks.

#40 Klonoa?