By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

Ok, I sent my list in, so now I can give some hints.

50.  This game was unavailable for purchase for several years, and it didn't exist in physical form either.  However, it's back now, and I just recently obtained a physical copy for of it for Switch thanks to Limited Run Games.

49.  A common legend about this NES game is that it saved a certain well known company from bankruptcy.  In truth that was probably hyperbole.

48.  I haven't played this Switch game in the past year, and it's the first it's appeared on my list.  But I bought it again recently, because I really wanted a modern game that had gameplay similar to my #49 game.

47.  This is a GBA game based on a classic manga character.

46.  This game features a very popular character, and it doesn't exist anymore.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

50.  This game was unavailable for purchase for several years, and it didn't exist in physical form either.  However, it's back now, and I just recently obtained a physical copy for of it for Switch thanks to Limited Run Games.

49.  A common legend about this NES game is that it saved a certain well known company from bankruptcy.  In truth that was probably hyperbole.

48.  I haven't played this Switch game in the past year, and it's the first it's appeared on my list.  But I bought it again recently, because I really wanted a modern game that had gameplay similar to my #49 game.

#50: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

#49: Final Fantasy (the first one?) - funny about that legend is, that the Final Fantasy movies did Square in and it had to merge with Enix

#48: phew, Octopath Traveler maybe?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I wrote an overly long text about Sniper Elite 4, went away for a few minutes and it was suddenly gone. I'll redo it tomorrow.

Also here's a few hints:

#35: Decisions form your path, while death always looms over every of your steps. Weird death doesn't seem to want to keep still.

#34: The sequel to #35.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 23 November 2021

#48 Was Crash Bandicoot 3 warped guessed by nobody.

#44 Is a first person Rpg where you fight with swords and magic but it probably isn't the first thing that pops into your head.

#43 This is the first installment in a franchise that started off pretty lighthearted at least compared to it's sequels.

#42 This game has you driving vehicles in a desert setting. It has many similarities to #43.

#41 This game is the second game in a spinoff series from a well known rpg franchise. You use "magic keys" to travel to other worlds.

#40 This is the first game from a certain playstation franchise that hasn't seen a new entry for some time now.

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

#49: Final Fantasy (the first one?) - funny about that legend is, that the Final Fantasy movies did Square in and it had to merge with Enix

All 3 are correct!

Eric2048 said:

#44 Is a first person Rpg where you fight with swords and magic but it probably isn't the first thing that pops into your head.

#43 This is the first installment in a franchise that started off pretty lighthearted at least compared to it's sequels.

#42 This game has you driving vehicles in a desert setting. It has many similarities to #43.

#41 This game is the second game in a spinoff series from a well known rpg franchise. You use "magic keys" to travel to other worlds.

#40 This is the first game from a certain playstation franchise that hasn't seen a new entry for some time now.

44. Ultima Underworld
41. Kingdom Hearts 2
40. Gran Turismo

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

All 3 are correct!

Eric2048 said:

44. Ultima Underworld
41. Kingdom Hearts 2
40. Gran Turismo

44. Nope, but i think i made that one a bit too vague. Hint: it's very action oriented and has ragdoll physics.

41. Not quite, you got the right idea. But it's a franchise that isn't Final Fantasy.

40. This one was also a bit too vague. Another hint: it's a platformer. The main character has a unique weapon for melee attacks.

Darashiva said:

Let's try to stay ahead here, so here are hints for the next five games on my list.

#35:

• The main character's mistake leads to the death of his mother after she saves him.

• XIII

• Lord of Calamity

• Leave your corporate life behind and take over your grandfather's farm.

• The whole thing might actually be a stage play.

#35 - Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII

#33 - God of War

UnderwaterFunktown said:

40) Unusual to this series and JRPGs in general, the MC of this game can wield not one but three weapon types

Hint 3: The series in question is Tales of

38) This series is seemingly well on its way to remaking all its games from the beginning. This was the second remake REmake 2

37) ^Strangely enough this hint also work for this game. Only the remakes have been more split over the years for this series.

Hint 2: This game is over a decade old. The series is over 2 decades.

36) First the depths, now the skies.

35) The Japanese and NA boxart(s) feature the protagonist. The European ones, an infamous enemy in the game.

36) Bioshock Infinite

35) Resident Evil 3

The_Liquid_Laser said:

48. Dragon Quest 11

47. Astro Boy

Eric2048 said:

#43 Jak and Daxter

#42 Jak and Daxter 3

#40 MediEvil

GoOnKid said:
Darashiva said:

Let's try to stay ahead here, so here are hints for the next five games on my list.

#35:

• The main character's mistake leads to the death of his mother after she saves him.

• XIII

• Lord of Calamity

#33 - God of War

UnderwaterFunktown said:

40) Unusual to this series and JRPGs in general, the MC of this game can wield not one but three weapon types

Hint 3: The series in question is Tales of

38) This series is seemingly well on its way to remaking all its games from the beginning. This was the second remake REmake 2

37) ^Strangely enough this hint also work for this game. Only the remakes have been more split over the years for this series.

Hint 2: This game is over a decade old. The series is over 2 decades.

36) First the depths, now the skies.

35) The Japanese and NA boxart(s) feature the protagonist. The European ones, an infamous enemy in the game.

36) Bioshock Infinite

35) Resident Evil 3

The_Liquid_Laser said:

48. Dragon Quest 11

47. Astro Boy

Eric2048 said:

#43 Jak and Daxter

#42 Jak and Daxter 3

#40 MediEvil

43 and 42 are correct.

More hints from me plus the one that hasn't been solved yet.

39 - At one point in this RPG you fight a giant steak as a boss and win by cooking it properly. Flattening it, seasoning with salt and pepper, lemon juice, then put it on the grill.

38 - After a trilogy of events with one certain spiky haired protagonist in a blue suit, here comes the follow up with a new protagonist.

37 - Lots and lots of superheroes fight in various constellations to obtain six powerful stones.

36 - One fiery demon fights to obtain six powerful stones.

35 - This game introduced a fan favorite character that has a star as a pet.

Farsala said:
Darashiva said:

#35:

• XIII

• Lord of Calamity

I will give it a gander.

34- FFVII?

33- DQXI?

32- Harvest Moon?

No to 34 and 33, but one of them is on my list later. 32 was guessed earlier already. It's Stardew Valley.

S.Peelman said:

Stardew Valley

Yes, but it was already guessed.

GoOnKid said:

#33 - God of War

No to both. God of War (2018) was on my list earlier.