By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

5. Inside (Xbox One/PC – 2016)

Atmosphere! I guess that is the best word to describe Inside. It is a small budget indie game, but the experience is deeper than most triple A games. The puzzles are extremely satisfying, the game world unique and dark. The story, while minimalistic, and told through the visuals and gameplay, is very clever and metaphorical. I love this game and cannot recommend it enough. I think it is best played in a single long session or two sessions over a weekend. There just is this constant uninterrupted flow in the game that makes the experience truly special.

Around the Network
Machina said:

• The sequel to a very inventive and superbly written comedy.
  • Shower curtains.
  • You're re-united with a beloved companion... and an enemy.
  • Narratively, this series is cleverly tied into the world created by another major series by the same developer.

• Actually, I'd rather not kill him thank you; I quite like him.
  • Not just him either, I also like the recurring mini-bosses. They're only trying to protect the children.

• Most people prefer this game's sequel. The first game is higher on my list because of its originality, as well as the tighter and (imo) wittier writing.
  • It's a very short game.

• Phalanx

Is #3 one of the Civilization games?  When I think of Phalanx that is the first (and maybe only) series that comes to mind.

6: Similar to previous games in my list. It is a strategy game based in China. This time the focus is only on ruler play. In the 4 corners there are troublesome barbarians, but if you nerf them a little bit, gameplay is pretty perfect.

5: Similar to previous games in my list, it is a hack and slash game based in China. For this entry the voice acting is pretty poor, but charming. So with 41 characters, every single character has specific but short voice lines for every cutscene.

Machina said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Is #3 one of the Civilization games?  When I think of Phalanx that is the first (and maybe only) series that comes to mind.

Nope, it's not Civilization.

How about Rome Total War?

Machina said:
Farsala said:

How about Rome Total War?

Nope. It's not a strategy game.

Demon's Souls then.

Around the Network
Vinther1991 said:
S.Peelman said:

At this point #3 hasn't been guessed yet so here the second hint for that one, and also the first hint for #2. We're almost there!

#3: Instead of the usual, this game features three different powers; a flying one, an invincibility one and an invisibility one.

Hint 2: You'll still have to activate them for use in levels by pushing a big coloured button at the end of a short level.

#2: The greatest video game story twist ever.

3: Super Mario 64!!

2: Bioshock?

Mario 64 is correct!

Hint 2 could be a lot of things, Bioshock is what I was looking for but;

coolbeans said:

2 -  Star Wars: KOTOR

Knights of the Old Republic is correct!

Darashiva said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Now that the rest is almost cleared up it's time to enter the top 5

8) This remake greatly expanded upon the final chapters of the original

Hint 2: You definitely know the original, but the remake is semi-obscure

Hint 3: It's a fan made remake, but the original developer gave it the greenlight and it's available on their platform

Hint 4: "Maybe _____  ____? That was a joke. Haha. Fat chance."

Hint 5: Named after the corporation whose research facility the game starts in

5) Released in the same year as Read Dead Redemption and has a main character who John Marston reminded me of

4) I quite liked the whole trilogy, but this 3rd game went above and beyond

8: Black Mesa. I must have somehow missed your hints earlier.

Indeed it is!

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Farsala said:

6: Similar to previous games in my list. It is a strategy game based in China. This time the focus is only on ruler play. In the 4 corners there are troublesome barbarians, but if you nerf them a little bit, gameplay is pretty perfect.

5: Similar to previous games in my list, it is a hack and slash game based in China. For this entry the voice acting is pretty poor, but charming. So with 41 characters, every single character has specific but short voice lines for every cutscene.

#5: This must totally be a Dynasty Warriors title. Apparently DW3 has 41 characters.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Dark Souls II (PS3)

YoY: -1

Although it is admittedly the weakest game in the trilogy, and doesn't feel quite like it's a part of the same continuity the other two games seem to share, Dark Souls II is still an amazing game. It has its issues and quirks, certainly, but even a comparatively weak Dark Souls game is better than the vast majority of other games out there. It has too many bosses, some weird and illogical level design choices, and unfair hitboxes, and yet I still love the game without reservation.

I find the story and lore of the game highly intriguing. I think the decision to focus on various different kingdoms both during the main story and in the DLC (which are still some of the best things in the entire series) was a brilliant one. I love that we learn how the influence of Manus, the Father of the Abyss and his destruction in the Artorias of the Abyss DLC in the first game reached so far, and see the literal manifestations of Manus' different aspects shape, destroy, and even protect the great kingdoms that have come since. It's a perspective in the world of Dark Souls that we don't get to see in the other two games. Basically, if DS1 and DS3 focus on how gods manipulated and directed the course of the world, DS2 is the story of humankind and how they reacted to the events unfolding as a result of the gods' actions.

Mnementh said:
Farsala said:

#5: This must totally be a Dynasty Warriors title. Apparently DW3 has 41 characters.

Yes that is correct.

I have decided I will do a writeup for my top 5. Too good to not describe it. Might as well give a partial writeup as a hint for number 6 too.

This PS2 game has everything going on, on a giant map. There is a lot of decisions to be made. For example you can builds forts or barricades to slow the enemy down, or to have a stepping stone to their city. You can confuse the enemy or break their formation, while they are fighting you, or you can boost your own units with a rally or troop boost. You can use your officers advantages with strategical moves or military movements. There is just so much depth to this game. Even if you are greatly disadvantaged, you can turn the tide by making better decisions.