By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

mZuzek said:

I'll be away for the night tonight, wishing you all a nice christmas!

A nice Christmas to you and everyone else too!

Around the Network

Honorable mentions and games #50 to #45: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9345764

Games #44 to #40: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9345857

Now, the next few games:

#39 - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX

I love the mysterious atmosphere of this game's setting, which is different from the usual Hyrule, and I really like all the different quirky characters that you meet during you travels. The ending of this game was very emotional to me. The overworld is overall well done and it feels more dense (but less open-ish) than ALTTP's. The dungeons are also well designed, probably some of my favorites among the 2D games.

#38 - Super Mario 64

I love the freedom of exploration that this game gives you, as well as Mario's mobility and the wide range of movements he can use to tackle obstacles. The levels are very well designed, with some of them being pretty inventive (for example, the Tiny-Huge island), and the missions to get the different stars are enjoyable and never feel annoying or frustrating. Also, the soundtrack is so memorable. Having played this many years after it came out, I think it holds up really really well.

#37 - Ōkami

I love this game's setting inspired by Feudal Japan, the art-style and the overall atmosphere that it has due to said art-style. Ōkami is filled with many charming characters and memorable moments, and the story is overall pretty heartwarming. In terms of gameplay, I really enjoyed the brushing mechanic and how you use it to battle enemies and solve puzzles. The overworld is overall very well made, with a good amount of stuff to find.

#36 - Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

The writing in this game is so great, I love the political tone of the story and all the memorable events that happen during it, as well as the different definitions of morality that the game uses. Overall, this game's plot is just highly engaging. The strategic battle system is super enjoyable, with a very deep job system, and overall good encounter design. Also, I really like the localization of the PSP version.

Merry Christmas to everyone !

Last edited by Link_Nines.XBC - on 29 December 2021

S.Peelman said:

Second hint for #5, and first hint for #4.

#5: The whole secret of the game is blatantly told on a mural halfway through the game, but when you first play it, you don't exactly realise what it means until the end boss explains it.

Hint 2: The mural was pretty vague about it, but the boss explains that beating him, would wake another entity and have far-reaching consequences for the land you're in and everyone that inhabits it.

#4: This game features the most annoying sound in the world.

So is 5 Skyward Sword?

And 4 is Yoshi's Island? (baby Mario crying being the sound)

Mnementh said:
Farsala said:

Yes Kingdom Hearts 2.

17: You jump a lot!

Hint 2: A green dinosaur appears.

15: The campaign in this game is awesome featuring A characters like Arkantos, Ajax, and Agamemnon.

Hint 2: Make armies of men or monsters like Minotaur, Cyclops, Mummys, Fire Giants.

14: Your goal is to conquer China with strategy. Or you can just choose an officer and chill, doing menial work or improving your stats.

Hint 2: Same name as the old novel and VIII game in the series.

13: Your goal is to conquer China with tactics. This game featured Chain tactics, allowing you to do epic combos with 10 or more tactics.

Hint 2: Half of the name is the same as the more popular hack and slash series, the other half is Tactics 2.

#15: A lot of games feature greek mythology, a stab in the dark: Titan Quest.

#14: Romance of the three kingdoms. Apparently VIII.

#13: I guess Dynasty Tactics 2.

15 was guessed already as Age of Mythology.

Correct on 14 and 13.

Moving on.

12: The main character's first enemy is renamed Mid-Boss due to how pathetic he is. Next he needs money so the main character attacks the richest in the vicinity. After that he gets blackmailed and is weakened by optimism and women with sexy bodies.
11: Unlike the first game in the series, this 2nd game has turn based RPG combat much like Pokemon. Unlike Pokemon it is 3v3 combat, and lots of fusion like Persona.
10: The 6 main characters are an orphan, his childhood friend, a princess, a disgraced knight, a sky pirate, and his bunny partner.
9: Hack and Slash 4th in the series. Significant for higher budget voice acting. 42 characters in the series at this point.
8: A game that I can't play anymore due to its constantly changing nature. Seasons 2-5 were great with old Xerath, Graves, Pantheon, Talon etc.

Farsala said:
Mnementh said:

#15: A lot of games feature greek mythology, a stab in the dark: Titan Quest.

#14: Romance of the three kingdoms. Apparently VIII.

#13: I guess Dynasty Tactics 2.

Correct on 14 and 13.

Moving on.

12: The main character's first enemy is renamed Mid-Boss due to how pathetic he is. Next he needs money so the main character attacks the richest in the vicinity. After that he gets blackmailed and is weakened by optimism and women with sexy bodies.
11: Unlike the first game in the series, this 2nd game has turn based RPG combat much like Pokemon. Unlike Pokemon it is 3v3 combat, and lots of fusion like Persona.
10: The 6 main characters are an orphan, his childhood friend, a princess, a disgraced knight, a sky pirate, and his bunny partner.
9: Hack and Slash 4th in the series. Significant for higher budget voice acting. 42 characters in the series at this point.
8: A game that I can't play anymore due to its constantly changing nature. Seasons 2-5 were great with old Xerath, Graves, Pantheon, Talon etc.

10.  Final Fantasy 12?
9.  Dynasty Warriors 4?

Around the Network
Farsala said:

Moving on.

12: Disgaea

8: League of Legends

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Farsala said:

Correct on 14 and 13.

Moving on.

10.  Final Fantasy 12?
9.  Dynasty Warriors 4?

Both Correct.

Darashiva said:
Farsala said:

Moving on.

12: Disgaea

8: League of Legends

Both correct.

More hints for 11.

Famous mascot characters include a yellow dinosaur and a blue dragon like monster. But of course you can choose between 195 monsters. You can join 1 of 3 different teams Blue Falcon, Gold Hawk, or Black Sword.

drbunnig said:
S.Peelman said:

Second hint for #5, and first hint for #4.

#5: The whole secret of the game is blatantly told on a mural halfway through the game, but when you first play it, you don't exactly realise what it means until the end boss explains it.

Hint 2: The mural was pretty vague about it, but the boss explains that beating him, would wake another entity and have far-reaching consequences for the land you're in and everyone that inhabits it.

#4: This game features the most annoying sound in the world.

So is 5 Skyward Sword?

And 4 is Yoshi's Island? (baby Mario crying being the sound)

I can see how the “wake another entity” part kind of fits with Skyward Sword, but that’s not what I mean. So, also incorrect.

4: Is correct, Yoshi’s Island it is!

• An age is slowly coming to a close once again.
  • The sun god's fear caused them to stop the end once.
  • The god's actions broke the natural cycle of the world, putting it into an endless loop.
  • When this game was being advertised the publisher heavily emphasized one very specific aspect of the game, effectively leaning into the reputation this game's spiritual predecessor had cultivated.

The #2 remains elusive to guessers it seems :

#2: Magandang tanghali po! Boa tarde! Saluton!

Last edited by Mnementh - on 25 December 2021

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]