By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

coolbeans said:
Eric2048 said:

14. This game features an outfit for the main character that the main character from a previous game wore.

13. This game has one of the most violent final fights in a video game.

12. This game is one continous camera shot.

11. This game has the most playable characters from this series. The setting has many steampunk influences.

10. This game has multiple stages where characters can fight. The gameplay is very fast paced compared to it's successors.

13 - God of War III

12 - God of War (2018)

10 - Smash Bros. Melee?

Those three are correct 

Around the Network
Eric2048 said:

14. This game features an outfit for the main character that the main character from a previous game wore.

13. This game has one of the most violent final fights in a video game.

12. This game is one continous camera shot.

11. This game has the most playable characters from this series. The setting has many steampunk influences.

10. This game has multiple stages where characters can fight. The gameplay is very fast paced compared to it's successors.

I'mma go out on a limb and say 11 is Final Fantasy VI? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

mZuzek said:

#7 - Some fans of this game seem to think that just about every other indie game is a rip-off of it somehow.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Finally on Christmas break. Time to bust out some hints.

18- Unguessed, and will probably stay that way. So the reveal is Kessen 2

17: You jump a lot!
16: You hit people with a key a lot! And you can visit places like Tortuga or a Colloseum.
15: The campaign in this game is awesome featuring A characters like Arkantos, Ajax, and Agamemnon.
14: Your goal is to conquer China with strategy. Or you can just choose an officer and chill, doing menial work or improving your stats.
13: Your goal is to conquer China with tactics. This game featured Chain tactics, allowing you to do epic combos with 10 or more tactics.

Honorable mentions and games #50 to #45: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9345764

The next few games:

#44 - Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening

This game's combat system is one of my favorites in games overall, it's just super deep with all the different Styles you can use, and it feels really really good to play. Of course, a great battle system has to be complemented with well designed regular encounters and boss battles to truly shine, and this game definitely does a great job at that. Also, I find Dante's personality to be really compelling.

#43 - Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings and The Conquerors Expansion

This game took so many hours of my teenage days, and the main reason is that the overall gameplay flow of it is just so addicting, building a base and battling other nations never got old to me, and I really like the medieval setting. Another thing that I love about this game is how all the civilizations feel very different to play from each other, with their unique attributes and units. The single-player campaigns are very well made and enjoyable, and made me feel interested in medieval history.

#42 - Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep

This game features three playable characters, unlike other KH games which have two at most, and I think they did a great job at making them feel very different to play from each other, and at making you feel attached to them. The combat system is very enjoyable and, differently to KH1/2/3, it allows you to customize your commands menu with different magics/items/abilities, rather than having a fixed menu. I also found the commands melding system (which allows you to combine commands to get new ones) to be addicting.

#41 - Kingdom Hearts III

Just like the previous games in the series, one of my favorite things about KHIII is visiting the worlds from different Disney movies, but in this game, said worlds actually feel lived in, and you can actually explore them at your leisure. The battle system is super enjoyable, with new features that I really liked such as keyblade transformations and being able to switch keyblades on the fly. Of course, I love the interactions between Sora/Donald/Goofy and the different Disney characters, but sadly the overarching plot is a huge convoluted mess.

#40 - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

This game is a pretty tight experience with fast paced gameplay and a very well made overworld, filled with lots of secrets such as hidden caves and useful items, so you'll always feel rewarded for exploring. The level design inside the dungeons is good, and the usage of different items to progress through said dungeons and through the overworld is really satisfying. The soundtrack is really memorable and the sprites are ageless.

Around the Network
coolbeans said:
Darashiva said:

Three games remain unguessed. Second hints for each.

#4:

• An age is slowly coming to a close once again.
  • The sun god's fear caused them to stop the end once.

#3:

• 32 years after The Great War, the destroyers return.
  • At the end of first game, in the final moments of The Great War, humankind was cut off from Earth when the jump gate to our solar system was destroyed. 

#2:

• The Moon That Never Sets.
  • Every 108 years it glows red, heralding the birth of the Moon Child.

2 - Legend of Dragoon

3 - FreeSpace 2?

Correct on both.

Farsala said:

Finally on Christmas break. Time to bust out some hints.

18- Unguessed, and will probably stay that way. So the reveal is Kessen 2

17: You jump a lot!
16: You hit people with a key a lot! And you can visit places like Tortuga or a Colloseum.
15: The campaign in this game is awesome featuring A characters like Arkantos, Ajax, and Agamemnon.
14: Your goal is to conquer China with strategy. Or you can just choose an officer and chill, doing menial work or improving your stats.
13: Your goal is to conquer China with tactics. This game featured Chain tactics, allowing you to do epic combos with 10 or more tactics.

16: Kingdom Hearts 2 or 3

Mnementh said:

As I will probably be less online over the next few days, I go ahead and drop the hints for the final games:

#4: High five!

Was 4 not Donkey Kong Country Returns?

coolbeans said:
S.Peelman said:

Time for the Top 5, the rest has already been guessed. I'll start with just #5.

#5: The whole secret of the game is blatantly told on a mural halfway through the game, but when you first play it, you don't exactly realise what it means until the end boss explains it.

Bioshock?

Sadly incorrect.

Eric2048 said:

I’ll also guess Zelda Breath of the Wild for this one.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

As I will probably be less online over the next few days, I go ahead and drop the hints for the final games:

#5: The old man is dancing for the tree. Guessed by drbunnig.

#3: The gods of Aios. Guessed by coolbeans.

#2: Magandang tanghali po!

#1: Our landing has confirmed both our rumors and fears. With the death of my father, Erathia's lands are being greedily divided by her neighbors. Guessed by coolbeans.

4.  Dragon Quest Builders 2?

That is correct!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

S.Peelman said:
Mnementh said:

Was 4 not Donkey Kong Country Returns?

I wouldn't know if Donkey Kong has high-fiving, as I haven't played it. As Liquid_Laser guessed I meant Dragon Quest Builders 2 (a great game obviously).

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

My #2 remains the only unguessed game, so I add a hint:

#2: Magandang tanghali po! Boa tarde!