By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Shin Megami Tensei V Review and Discussion Thread (87 on Metacritic)

youngbr said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

6 hours in

So far not liking it. This desert bores me to death. There isn't nothing about it that is engaging to explore or to discover, it's just plain and uninspired. The story is also taking forever to take off which makes me less invested in the game 

This is a SMT game so I expect at least 50 hours to beat it, however if by hour 10-15 the game still not funny I maybe drop it 

I think I wrote here a few days ago, it is not a story driven game. It is not like Persona that you live the story.

Shin Megami Tensei V is more like Dark Souls, the goal is to explore and get stronger. I understand some may like it a lot and some don't.

The problem is the exploration is not rewarding because the level design isn't particularly clever, Persona actually did a better job because the spaces were small and it's easier to make a smart level design when your spaces are tight instead of open, but again DS have open designs and the maps are extremely clever, making you discover new places almost every playtrough

The maps so far are lazy. Not only in level design, but in art style. It's basically a desert, I'm six hours in a desert. I'm sure I will leave it somehow, but it's a fairly high amount of time trapped in a very uncomfortable space. 

The battle system still good and fair (even if punishing), but we ready knew that. Combat isn't the problem, the problem is everything except the combat is dull, starting from the main character, whoever thought his design is cool must be fired asap 

Around the Network

I just read that, through data mining the game may become available on ps4/5 and pc within the next 4 to 6 months.

Could be a hit to nintendo/atlus exclusivity in the future if true as quite a few people are now saying that they are now holding off on the game to get it on playsation or PC, with the news also causing buyers remorse for early adopters

Kneetos said:

I just read that, through data mining the game may become available on ps4/5 and pc within the next 4 to 6 months.

Could be a hit to nintendo/atlus exclusivity in the future if true as quite a few people are now saying that they are now holding off on the game to get it on playsation or PC, with the news also causing buyers remorse for early adopters

It would make sense to release it on all 3 platforms same as the Nocturne remaster. But Atlas are weird so even with this I'm not taking it as guaranteed.

Certainly makes it seem more likely after seeing the profiles, even with different graphics settings etc already setup for the different platforms.

IcaroRibeiro said:
youngbr said:

I think I wrote here a few days ago, it is not a story driven game. It is not like Persona that you live the story.

Shin Megami Tensei V is more like Dark Souls, the goal is to explore and get stronger. I understand some may like it a lot and some don't.

The problem is the exploration is not rewarding because the level design isn't particularly clever, Persona actually did a better job because the spaces were small and it's easier to make a smart level design when your spaces are tight instead of open, but again DS have open designs and the maps are extremely clever, making you discover new places almost every playtrough

The maps so far are lazy. Not only in level design, but in art style. It's basically a desert, I'm six hours in a desert. I'm sure I will leave it somehow, but it's a fairly high amount of time trapped in a very uncomfortable space. 

The battle system still good and fair (even if punishing), but we ready knew that. Combat isn't the problem, the problem is everything except the combat is dull, starting from the main character, whoever thought his design is cool must be fired asap 

I totally understand, but what is more to do with Switch than Atlus. I feel Atlus had a hard time making the game because of the Switch capacity.

But I feel it is a step in the right direction, if SMT wants to be like Dark Souls they need to improve the scenarios.

IcaroRibeiro said:
youngbr said:

Fully disagree. Exploration is like BOTW where the puzzle is finding ways to get to secret areas for rewards. The game is very vertical as well. Granted it's not open world but it has those same elements. Most disagree with you. The game just isn't for you. it;s not the games at fault at all.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
youngbr said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I totally understand, but what is more to do with Switch than Atlus. I feel Atlus had a hard time making the game because of the Switch capacity.

But I feel it is a step in the right direction, if SMT wants to be like Dark Souls they need to improve the scenarios.

It's not trying to be Dark Souls in any way. Drop that horrible comparison.

mZuzek said:
Leynos said:

It's not trying to be Dark Souls in any way. Drop that horrible comparison.

Just face it, everything is Dark Souls.

Nothing is. Dark Souls is the Adventure of Link of 3D games. Everything is Adventure of Link.

What is more horrible is saying that somehow the Switch limits good level design in a game.

ARamdomGamer said:

What is more horrible is saying that somehow the Switch limits good level design in a game.

Yeah that's one of the silliest takes I've seen in a while. Besides the regions in SMTV are no bigger than Xenoblade which was originally on Wii. No tech limits good level design and SMTV has great design.

If this game was trying to be like dark souls i would not have bought it. I really hate how difficulty in games now spark immediate dark souls comparisons like difficult games never existed before