By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Shin Megami Tensei V Review and Discussion Thread (87 on Metacritic)

Yeah, was completely expecting reviewers to compare it to Persona. Which is unfortunate.

Around the Network

In all fairness... I think it's natural to compare this game to Persona. They are from the same company, they belong to the same genre and general franchise and they share many aspects in general.

However, by definition, a comparison has to go both ways. It has to expose what A has in common with B and viceversa, what exclusive features both A and B have and what makes A and B different from each other.

What many reviewers are doing is not a comparison: is a one sided attack against SMT V. They hardly acknowledge what makes it special compared to Persona. They barely touch on what it does better than Persona. No, they just point out what it lacks compared to Persona, and since they are Persona fans, they bash SMT V for it.

But alas, this is game journalism 101 where professionalism is nowhere to be found.

I've never played a game in the series before, Looks pretty solid I may pick it up one day.

Wow. I'm buying it at launch then. I'm not liking the trailers but the reviews are surprising me and Atlus have credits to me thanks to Persona and SMT Nocturne and IV

rapsuperstar31 said:

I've never played a game in the series before, Looks pretty solid I may pick it up one day.

If you play Nocturne it gives you a taste of what to expect from the series.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Kakadu18 said:

They give games negative reviews pretty frequently. They also criticise Nintendo very often. Idk where you get that from.

My point was, that there aren't many big actual negatives. It's way more polished and accessable than any of the previous SMT games.

Lol I can't take that website seriously when the owner pretends like Amico is not a total shit show scam. No one but him is being fair to Tommy and his feelings and hwo amazing Amico will be.

Who is the owner?

Kakadu18 said:
Leynos said:

Lol I can't take that website seriously when the owner pretends like Amico is not a total shit show scam. No one but him is being fair to Tommy and his feelings and hwo amazing Amico will be.

Who is the owner?

I think his name is Damien.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

youngbr said:
Kakadu18 said:

Nintendolife's only negative was the performance.
Looks great, can't wait.
SMTV is now the highest rated mainline SMT game.
SMT: Devil Survivor 1 and 2 and SMTIV: Apocalypse got an 84 metascore and SMTIV got 83.

You know this is a Nintendo site, so you can't say one thing against Switch that people cry. But of course SMT V loses points for being in a weak console, everyone knows that. But that is expected and I am going to enjoy for what it is. 

This logic doesn't necessarily hold up. I consider myself to be the biggest Nintendo fan that I know but I am extremely critical of them.

Vodacixi said:

In all fairness... I think it's natural to compare this game to Persona. They are from the same company, they belong to the same genre and general franchise and they share many aspects in general.

However, by definition, a comparison has to go both ways. It has to expose what A has in common with B and viceversa, what exclusive features both A and B have and what makes A and B different from each other.

What many reviewers are doing is not a comparison: is a one sided attack against SMT V. They hardly acknowledge what makes it special compared to Persona. They barely touch on what it does better than Persona. No, they just point out what it lacks compared to Persona, and since they are Persona fans, they bash SMT V for it.

But alas, this is game journalism 101 where professionalism is nowhere to be found.

These days there's a lot of forms of journalism where there's no professionalism to be found.

I can see a game that probably won't amuse me very much when I see one, and sadly, this is such a game. I think this is not my cup of tea. However, I hope everyone else enjoys this game and has a good time with it.