By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Shin Megami Tensei V Review and Discussion Thread (87 on Metacritic)

Only 3 days to go. Never really played the SMT games, might give this one a go at some point.

Around the Network

To bad it is exclusive to Switch since that will make it a lot more expensive for me to play, but well I'll hold on and perhaps play it in 2 years

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Never played the series, but will be getting. Yet another high quality Switch game. Heck of a system.

I already started playing the game, so I will write a little bit of my feedback WITHOUT spoilers.

First 2 hours of game.

Difficulty: I am playing on Hard and it is totally doable so far. If you choose to play on HARD just know you won't be able to turn it back to NORMAL or EASY. Yes, I died a few times, but I didn't lose progress because there are MANY save points. The biggest issue is MACCA to heal 100%. But nothing too problematic.

Recrutiing: Easier than on SMT IV, so far I found too easy. I had no problem to complete my team. No demon backstab on me or anything like that. One I just answered 1 question right and he joined my team without any problem.

Performance: It is fine, I saw some people complaining but it didn't bother me. The english dub is great. Some familiar voices we are used to hear in Atlus games.

Enjoyment: So far it seems they made a game for everyone to enjoy, it won't be too hard for newcomers if they play on EASY. If you are somehow good in SMT games play on Normal and if you already beat SMT Strange Journey just go and play on HARD without second thoughts. My tip is to explore the map, just at the beginning of the game in the first map there is a lot to explore, but the game won't tell you. Just recruit your team and start to explore from the first save point and find all the chests. There is even one side mission.

I hope everyone is excited to play it too!

youngbr said:

I already started playing the game, so I will write a little bit of my feedback WITHOUT spoilers.

First 2 hours of game.

Difficulty: I am playing on Hard and it is totally doable so far. If you choose to play on HARD just know you won't be able to turn it back to NORMAL or EASY. Yes, I died a few times, but I didn't lose progress because there are MANY save points. The biggest issue is MACCA to heal 100%. But nothing too problematic.

Recrutiing: Easier than on SMT IV, so far I found too easy. I had no problem to complete my team. No demon backstab on me or anything like that. One I just answered 1 question right and he joined my team without any problem.

Performance: It is fine, I saw some people complaining but it didn't bother me. The english dub is great. Some familiar voices we are used to hear in Atlus games.

Enjoyment: So far it seems they made a game for everyone to enjoy, it won't be too hard for newcomers if they play on EASY. If you are somehow good in SMT games play on Normal and if you already beat SMT Strange Journey just go and play on HARD without second thoughts. My tip is to explore the map, just at the beginning of the game in the first map there is a lot to explore, but the game won't tell you. Just recruit your team and start to explore from the first save point and find all the chests. There is even one side mission.

I hope everyone is excited to play it too!

How? I think it was going to be released on Friday ?

Around the Network

A good jumping in point or if you want to play more Shin Megami Tensei after V is SMT III Nocturne. If you still want more on Switch. The SNES games on on the Super Famicom online but are in Japanese. Switch also has Digimon Cybersleuth games which play pretty much like SMT Soul Hackers. The Lost Child is a sequel to El Shaddai but plays like an older SNES-era SMT. Also, note SMT Nocturne/CyberSleuth/TLC are also on PC and PS4.

Last edited by Leynos - on 09 November 2021

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I have a friend that received a digital code to review it, but he wants to play Pokémon instead and Call of Duty so he passed it for me.

youngbr said:

I have a friend that received a digital code to review it, but he wants to play Pokémon instead and Call of Duty so he passed it for me.

Lucky for you they have poor tastes lol

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Update 5 hours of gaming (NO SPOILERS)

This game is totally NOT text driven. It is weird to say this, but there isn't much to read. Even if I wanted to spoil the story, there isn't much to say.
The story is standard SMT, it feels like a dark souls game that you spend pretty much all the time playing and not much time reading and watching CG's.
There is a lot of exploration going on in the game.

youngbr said:

Update 5 hours of gaming (NO SPOILERS)

This game is totally NOT text driven. It is weird to say this, but there isn't much to read. Even if I wanted to spoil the story, there isn't much to say.
The story is standard SMT, it feels like a dark souls game that you spend pretty much all the time playing and not much time reading and watching CG's.
There is a lot of exploration going on in the game.

So do you like it? How is the level design?