By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales update (To September 30th 2021) Switch 92.87m

Switch hardware total: 92.87m (3.83m for the quarter) 

Software:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 38.74m

Animal Crossing: 34.85m

Smash Bros Ultimate: 25.71m

Zelda BOTW:  24.13m (Switch version only)

Pokémon Sword/Shield: 22.64m

Mario Odyssey: 21.95m

Super Mario Party: 16.48m

Pokemon Let's Go: 13.83m

Splatoon 2: 12.68m

Ring Fit Adventure: 12.21m

NSMBU DX: 11.48m

3D World + Bowser's Fury: 7.45m

Skyward Sword HD: 3.6m

New Pokemon Snap: 2.19m

Mario Gold Super Rush: 1.94m

Miitopia: 1.37m

https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-financial-results-november-2021-switch-at-92-87-million/ 

https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-million-sellers-november-2021/

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2021/211104_4e.pdf

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 November 2021

Around the Network

So, I did some calculations, and based on the VGC tracking, the amound of Switch units sold be Sept. 30th, is 91,492,629 units (91.49m).
Nintendo has their own shipment figures at 92.87 million units.
That leaves us with a gap of 1.38 million units between shipped and sold. Not sure how much the OLED model factors into that. But my gut tells me the Switch is just slightly overtracked.

Furthermore, Nintendo adjusted their hardware forecast down. Now they gave the reason that it was due to semiconductor shortages, but regardless, the Switch ain't matching last fiscal year, so we are officially past the peak.

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 04 November 2021

On the software side of things:

With 3.60 million units, Skyward Sword HD is just 70k away from tying the original Wii version!
With 1.94 million units, Mario Golf: Super Rush is now the best selling Mario Golf game of all time.

IT'S OFFICIAL! Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, at 38.74 million has passed Mario Kart Wii (37.38 million) as the single best selling Mario Kart game of all time. And now, it is just 1.5 million units away from tying the original Super Mario Bros. as the best selling Mario game EVER!

At 22.64 million units, Pokemon Sword/Shield is just 460k away from tying Gold/Silver for the 2nd best selling pair of mainline Pokemon games!

On the upside, Nintendo has adjusted their software forecast UP! So it expects to sell less hardware then they planned, but more software to make up for it.

Wow, the Switch sold only 3.83 this quarter, far less than I expected and many people expected. Most were expecting the 5 Million range especially since Q2 is one of Nintendo's stronger quarters since they ship more units in anticipation of the Holiday Season. Not sure if it has to do with demand,stock issues, or a combination of both. During the summer I saw more regular Switch's in stock so maybe its just demand that's slowing down, potentially due to the Switch Oled. Nintendo also cut their forecast down to 24 Million showing that they may struggle with stocking the Oled this year. After this quarter imma drop my Switch sales forecast for 2021 from 25 Million back down to 24 Million & 23 Million may not be out of the question if Nintendo doesn't have enough supply.

Don't get me wrong, 3.83M in a quarter is still amazing for any console to achieve, but definitely fell short of expectation.

PAOerfulone said:

That leaves us with a gap of 1.38 million units between shipped and sold. Not sure how much the OLED model factors into that. But my gut tells me the Switch is just slightly overtracked.

Your gut tells you that a widely available console having 1.4 million of available stocks accross the world is too much ?

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
PAOerfulone said:

Your gut tells you that a widely available console having 1.4 million of available stocks accross the world is too much ?

There are layers to this.

If it were a system like the Xbox Series, Xbox One, or 3DS that was readily available, but on average, nowhere near the levels of the Switch, PS4, or PS5 in terms of global demand, then 1.4 million is a very good number and maybe even a little under-tracked.

But for something like the Switch, which is still selling at a very high level despite slowing down this year, the amount of consoles Nintendo needs to manufacture and ship out to meet demand is much higher than it was for something like the 3DS. And for a system that had a brand new SKU launching a week after these numbers came in, expectations MUCH higher.

If the Switch was nowhere to be found and prices online were selling for higher than the MSRP, like they were last year. Then I'd believe it. But here? Even with the OLED taken into account, I still think that's too low.

PAOerfulone said:
SKMBlake said:

If it were a system like the Xbox Series, Xbox One, or 3DS that was readily available, but on average, nowhere near the levels of the Switch, PS4, or PS5 in terms of global demand, then 1.4 million is a very good number and maybe even a little under-tracked.

But for something like the Switch, which is still selling at a very high level despite slowing down this year, the amount of consoles Nintendo needs to manufacture and ship out to meet demand is much higher than it was for something like the 3DS. And for a system that had a brand new SKU launching a week after these numbers came in, expectations MUCH higher.

Didn't you notice a slow down in sales after the announcement of the OLED ? It even got a price cut in Europe.

For me it makes total sense. And in Europe we can still find V1 Switches sold at 269€ (or even 266€ on Amazon) while the OLED is hard to find

SKMBlake said:
PAOerfulone said:

Didn't you notice a slow down in sales after the announcement of the OLED ? It even got a price cut in Europe.

For me it makes total sense. And in Europe we can still find V1 Switches sold at 269€ (or even 266€ on Amazon) while the OLED is hard to find

Of course I did. So I assumed that the number would be higher because they would be stock-piling OLED units for the launch while cutting back on the Lite and V2 models. Which I assume they did anyways. And despite that, it's still below 93 million and couldn't even match 2019's Q2 numbers. That's a little disappointing.

I'm a bit disappointed. Based on 2019s Q2 and the numbers from VG I was so sure it was going to be 1M higher than 2019s Q2, not 1M lower.

There is officially no chance of Switch matching 2020 numbers.

I'm not surprise about Mario Kart. Are they still fudging the numbers by including the game with the console these days?