By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales update (To September 30th 2021) Switch 92.87m

archbrix said:

My take on NSMBU is that it should have been a Wii game. The only change would have been 480p and it would have been a great swan song and sold a ton on that console. I think a lot of the criticism comes from people just being tired of the "New" games by then. Some were better than others, but none of them had the charm of the originals (minus Lost Levels). NSMBU is a good game and I did really like the overworld, but the squirrel power-up was pretty lame and I do have to agree with @curl about the visuals for a WiiU game; playing Tropical Freeze after Mario was a night and day difference.

Not aimed at you or anyone in particular but I think people were always going to complain about NSMBU regardless of what they brought out because even the game you mentioned in comparison Tropical Freeze received just as much backlash despite being one of the best 2D platformers made. Both these games released in a period when people were wanting a new Prime or Galaxy and the annoyance of not getting them stuck with the games ever since, the two games themselves as Kakadu also highlight with the former are not bad games and better than what people would have you think.

2D games in general have a strange stigma attached them where some people will think they're not worth much no matter how good they are and we've seen this even in today's era when Metroid Dread was revealed, despite people being more open to 2D games today compared to back then and Dread being one of the best games of the year the are still those disregarding its merits because it is a 2D game.

Around the Network

I really wish we could see how a port of Star Fox Zero performs on the Switch and settle the argument once and for all on whether it's a franchise plagued with bad gimmicks on unpopular consoles or whether it really is just an unpopular IP. Hopefully, we get some accurate numbers for Fatal Frame MoBW in the future as an IP in a similar boat.

Despite a 44% decline in Q2 for hardware i think Nintendo will make sure they have a lot of stock for Q3. What sort of Numbers do we expect? Personally i'm thinking it will just beat last year and reach 11.75m and software will definately be up somewhere between 85m to 90m.

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 22 November 2021

@ShadowLink93 I really like your graphs! Where do you create them?

I agree that Q3 2021 should be slightly higher than Q3 2020. I'm thinking it might even be able to hit 12 million for that quarter (ending the calendar year was total sales of around 104 million, although I could see it being slightly below 104 million.

ShadowLink93 said:

Despite a 44% decline in Q2 for hardware i think Nintendo will make sure they have a lot of stock for Q3. What sort of Numbers do we expect? Personally i'm thinking it will just beat last year and reach 11.75m and software will definately be up somewhere between 85m to 90m.

Personally, I'm just hoping for it to top Wii and PS1 lifetime sales this holiday quarter, for me that'd be satisfying enough even if it doesn't match holiday 2020.

Around the Network

@curl-6 I'd be very surprised if Switch doesn't top Wii & PS1 after this holiday because that would mean that the Switch would sell less than 10 million units this holiday. I also don't care as much if it surpasses holiday 2020 and find surpassing Wii & PS1 to be more important.

Torpoleon said:

@ShadowLink93 I really like your graphs! Where do you create them?

I agree that Q3 2021 should be slightly higher than Q3 2020. I'm thinking it might even be able to hit 12 million for that quarter (ending the calendar year was total sales of around 104 million, although I could see it being slightly below 104 million.

Thanks, i create them in https://paintz.app/. I also think 12m plus would easily happen if not for Manufacturing problems, so i think Switch will miss out on 12m but get close. 

curl-6 said:
ShadowLink93 said:

Personally, I'm just hoping for it to top Wii and PS1 lifetime sales this holiday quarter, for me that'd be satisfying enough even if it doesn't match holiday 2020.

Well i think it will post similar Q3 numbers to last year because of Nintendo's 24m forecast which means they plan on shipping 15.7m consoles in the next two quarters and my thinking is 11.7m for Q3 and 4m for Q4. Switch only needs a 9.63m Q3 to pass PS1 so that is 99.99% going to happen. 

Talking About NSMBUDX on Switch did you know it is only 0.43m from Super Mario 64 and 1.32m from Super Mario Galaxy and will probably pass both these classics in Q3. Now NSMBUDX is a decent enough game but is there any justice in the world?

At least there’s three versions of Mario 64 and two versions of Mario Galaxy that can keep them well clear of New Super Mario Bros U DX.