By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales update (To September 30th 2021) Switch 92.87m

Another downward adjustment for Switch on the way I guess. It's clear now that 2020 was the peak.

Around the Network

As a Nintendo guy, I'm absolutely delighted that 2020 appears to be the peak. As much as I love Switch, I want Switch 2 in 2023, a full 6 year cycle later. If Switch 1 kept selling at a higher level then there is a chance they could delay releasing Switch 2, so we'd all be stuck with old hardware for longer.

Long live the 6 year cycle!

Dulfite said:

As a Nintendo guy, I'm absolutely delighted that 2020 appears to be the peak. As much as I love Switch, I want Switch 2 in 2023, a full 6 year cycle later. If Switch 1 kept selling at a higher level then there is a chance they could delay releasing Switch 2, so we'd all be stuck with old hardware for longer.

Lol, you think the Switch is going to die next year?

Dulfite said:

No chance for the 6 year cycle imo.

6.5, 7 or 7.5 I think.

RolStoppable said:
Dulfite said:

As a Nintendo guy, you should ask yourself how many of Nintendo's development teams would have games for new hardware ready in 2023.

cross-gen? They did BOTW with WiiU+Switch, and their next console should be much closer in hardware to Switch than the Switch was to WiiU (in terms of architecture etc) and should be backwards compatible to boot. Software overlap between Switch and Switch 2 makes sense.

There seems little reason to not release Switch 2 versions of their software. After all Switch is full of "Deluxe" WiiU titles padding the lineup so we may even see a lot of that next generation with the Switch successor.

I can see them getting Mario Kart 9 ready for a Holiday 2023 launch as an exclusive, Plus I doubt we're that far away from the successor to Mario Odyssey and unless 2023 was going to be completely barren for Switch 1, they have the opportunity to have a line-up for Switch 2 with cross-gen titles.

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 04 November 2021

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Dulfite said:

As a Nintendo guy, you should ask yourself how many of Nintendo's development teams would have games for new hardware ready in 2023.

About the same as they had in 2010 (2 years out) for Wii U launch. They've been in this situation many times over the decades, not like they suddenly don't know what they are doing.

Kakadu18 said:
Dulfite said:

Lol, you think the Switch is going to die next year?

Dying, not die. I think Switch 1 will still sell some after Switch 2 comes.

RolStoppable said:
Zippy6 said:

cross-gen? They did BOTW with WiiU+Switch, and their next console should be much closer in hardware to Switch than the Switch was to WiiU (in terms of architecture etc) and should be backwards compatible to boot. Software overlap between Switch and Switch 2 makes sense.

There seems little reason to not release Switch 2 versions of their software. After all Switch is full of "Deluxe" WiiU titles padding the lineup so we may even see a lot of that next generation with the Switch successor.

I can see them getting Mario Kart 9 ready for a Holiday 2023 launch as an exclusive, and perhaps Deluxe versions of games like Splatoon 3, BOTW2 or Smash Bros Ultimate.

Cross-gen isn't why someone would want new hardware.

Why do people want the OLED switch so badly? You don't need a ton of unique titles to sell hardware out the gate. You just need hardware that is better. People will want the latest and greatest regardless.

The Switch launched with a handful of titles and was a huge success. The Switch 2 can launch with access to the entire Switch back catalogue, a few titles that "run better" and just one exclusive new title in something like Mario Kart 9, with further exclusive to follow in 2024.

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 04 November 2021

RolStoppable said:
Zippy6 said:

I can see them getting Mario Kart 9 ready for a Holiday 2023 launch as an exclusive, and perhaps Deluxe versions of games like Splatoon 3, BOTW2 or Smash Bros Ultimate.

Cross-gen isn't why someone would want new hardware.

Explain that to year 1 of Switch. Botw was cross gen, Splatoon 2 was basically Splatoon 1 with a bit more (until they came out with the expansion a while later). Mariokart was a port. Lego City undercover. I'm fairly certain had Wii U sold well then Arms as well as Mario rabbits have been Wii U games from them switch games. There is plenty more that works than 2017 that was probably been tested you guys it's meant to know probably wasn't counting on there flagship council only selling for four and a half years. Tons of Cross gens / ports. And yet switch took off like crazy.

RolStoppable said:
Zippy6 said:

Why do people want the OLED switch so badly? You don't need a ton of unique titles to sell hardware out the gate. You just need hardware that is better. People will want the latest and greatest regardless.

OLED is a revision of a console that already has thousands of games available for it, including dozens of interesting exclusives. It's not comparable to what is beind discussed here.

And many are no doubt people upgrading from a device that can already play those games, which Switch 2 will also be able to do.

Switch 2 will have "thousands of games available for it" from day one, unless Nintendo drops the ball and it for some ungodly reason isn't BC.