By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sells Over 500K, PS5 and XS Sales Climb - Global Hardware Oct 17 to 23

That's an INSANE amount of Switches!!!! I thought this was going to be the OLED launch week. Switch still has some incredible legs. I'm betting it's gonna pass the PS1 and Wii by the end of this holiday, then pass the PS4 and GB/GBC sometime next year. 

Around the Network

Looks like the OLED is having more staying power than some people expected.

Switch is a monster. Going to be a crazy cliff, because it is coming... right???

Switch performed better than expected. OLED demand could be really big.

Great how the PS5 and XBS have continuously grown wow for so long now.

OLED doing it's thing. Pokemon Switch edition + better BF deals + better Holiday season might still turn 2021 over 2020.
But it is looking like it might not happen.

Around the Network
mk7sx said:

Here was my US Oct 2021 guess last week after week 1.

mk7sx said:

On IB Benji says OLED is already highly supply constrained in the US.  Oct NPD numbers will be something. 

Quick guess:

Week 1 293K (225K OLED / 70K Other) < Using VGC's USA figure

Week 2 120K (60K OLED / 60K Other)

Week 3 120K (70K OLED / 70K Other)

Week 4 200K (120K OLED / 80K Other) < Fresh shipment at the end of the month along with Mario Party

700-750K, maybe higher.  Think it'll be fairly competitive with Oct 2020.

Actuals so far:

Week 1 293K

Week 2 138K

If VGC numbers hold up, the Switch NPD OCT 2021 has a solid shot at topping NPD OCT 2020.  Only needs about 300K in the next two weeks - all dependent on supply.

Actuals so far:

Week 1 293K

Week 2 138K

Week 3 167K

Week 4 is Mario Party release.  Unless VGC is way overtracking, the Switch is heading towards an Oct NPD result that will rival Wii 08 in units and is almost certainly an all time record in revenue even if it falls short with the OLED's $350 MSRP bring ASP up high. 

Needs 138K in week 4 to tie NSW 2020's mark.

Mandalore76 said:

Looks like the OLED is having more staying power than some people expected.

Could be, but not necessarily. We are gearing up for the holidays and there's already people buying stuff for Christmas. If OLED launched in March it would be easier to tell if this sustained bump is because of it instead of precursor bump for the holidays. And sure, we could compare what bumps typically look like around this time of the year, but with new hardware out and everyone freaking out about chip shortages it's entirely possible people will be buying Christmas gifts even earlier than normal in order to acquire whatever they want to instead of waiting for chip shortages to prevent them from getting it in time.

This is going to be another huge holiday quarter for Switch, i wonder if it can match or beat last year. Last year Vgchartz has NSW selling through 12.2m for Q3 and Nintendo officially shipped 11.57m.

Last Year NSW had a monstrous October a slightly dissapointing November and a decent December. October could be even higher this year thanks to Oled and November should be up with Poke'mon D/P then if December is close to last years December then it is likely NSW will be up yoy for Q3.

I wonder how much the Switch sales will be when the Pokemon Switch Lite drops later this week. That plus the OLED could push it over 600k for that week.