By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sells Over 500K, PS5 and XS Sales Climb - Global Hardware Oct 17 to 23

Xbox Series isn't getting totally trounced by PS5, I don't expect it to reach the popularity of XB360 but it could end up in between XBoxone and XB360 numbers. Perhaps something like 70m lifetime.

Around the Network
ShadowLink93 said:

Xbox Series isn't getting totally trounced by PS5, I don't expect it to reach the popularity of XB360 but it could end up in between XBoxone and XB360 numbers. Perhaps something like 70m lifetime.

Yeah I'm expecting the same, better than Xbox One but less than 360.

Gamerscore:20,000  -  Trophies:3,800 -  Nintendo Awards: -1

My Xbox Series S is my baby. It grew up into an X.

ShadowLink93 said:

Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI might give the console enough momentum to outsell the 360.

deerox said:
ShadowLink93 said:

Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI might give the console enough momentum to outsell the 360.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. The 360 was amazing, but Xbox is really putting their best foot forward in terms of first-party output. I wouldn't be surprised if sales start to skyrocket once Starfield releases and quite a few of their announced games in 2023.

Zippy6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

The race between 2020 and 2021 is too close to call at this point.  A lot of people last week were wanting to call this game at halftime when the score is close.

I think Switch is more likely to be up this year than down.  However, it's going to come down to how many Switches Nintendo is able to ship.  A lot can still happen between now and Dec. 31.

You've changed your tune, a week ago it was "likely" to sell more than 29.66m, now 28.2m is "too close to call".

Check my post again.  Reading comprehension for the win!

Around the Network
deerox said:
ShadowLink93 said:

The gen will be pretty much over by the time TES6 is released. 

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Zippy6 said:

You've changed your tune, a week ago it was "likely" to sell more than 29.66m, now 28.2m is "too close to call".

I read what you wrote just fine. You said 2020 vs 2021 was too close to call, and as for your second line "likely" to pass 28.2m is not the same as "likely" to pass 29.66m.

You went from one week ago saying - "to say that Switch will be down this year is ... "very very pessimistic.""

To now saying - "I think Switch is more likely to be up this year than down.  However, it's going to come down to how many Switches Nintendo is able to ship."

So like I said, you've changed your tune.

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 02 November 2021

Gamerscore:20,000  -  Trophies:3,800 -  Nintendo Awards: -1

My Xbox Series S is my baby. It grew up into an X.

Zippy6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I read what you wrote just fine. You said 2020 vs 2021 was too close to call, and as for your second line "likely" to pass 28.2m is not the same as "likely" to pass 29.66m.

You went from one week ago saying - "to say that Switch will be down this year is ... "very very pessimistic.""

To now saying - "I think Switch is more likely to be up this year than down.  However, it's going to come down to how many Switches Nintendo is able to ship."

So like I said, you've changed your tune.

I never gave numbers.  I said, "Switch is more likely to be up this year than down".  If you want to know my definitions of "up" and "down" and "about the same", then check out the poll in this thread (which I made).

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/245376/predict-switch-2021-sales-calendar-year/1

Reading comprehension for the win!

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Sales Comparison Charts Through October 23

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and three legacy platforms (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo 3DS) over comparable periods for 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2018 – (Week ending January 13 to October 27)

2019 – (Week ending January 12 to October 26)

2020 – (Week ending January 11 to October 24)

2021 – (Week ending January 9 to October 23)

"Year to date" sales for 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2021 versus 2020 and 2021 versus 2019 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox One – Down Year-on-Year 1,688,554 (-70.4%)
  • Xbox Series X|S – n/a

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch - Down Year-on-Year 1,379,244 (-7.8%)
  • Nintendo 3DS – Down Year-on-Year 362,783 (-91.9%)

Sony

• PlayStation 4 – Down Year-on-Year 5,152,501 (-72.7%)
  • PlayStation 5 – n/a

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Blood_Tears said:
deerox said:

The gen will be pretty much over by the time TES6 is released. 

That's true. Maybe Skyrim: Hyper Edition will be enough to make the Xbox outsell the 360.