By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sells Over 500K, PS5 and XS Sales Climb - Global Hardware Oct 17 to 23

Last Year NSW had a monstrous October a slightly dissapointing November and a decent December. October could be even higher this year thanks to Oled and November should be up with Poke'mon D/P then if December is close to last years December then it is likely NSW will be up yoy for Q3.

Around the Network

I wonder how much the Switch sales will be when the Pokemon Switch Lite drops later this week. That plus the OLED could push it over 600k for that week.

Excellent rebound up for NS, probably first week was so good to deplete supplies for second week and Ninty had to supply more to try and meet demand.
PS5 and XS good, they manage to grow a little even when NS is particularly strong. Potential market for consoles is quite obviously growing if there is enough space for a more than decent third, a strong second and a very strong market leader. And this thanks to Ninty, that with the hybrid idea saved the portable market from mobile competition. NS is already bigger than 3DS+WiiU and still growing strong, PS5 and XS are quite likely to become bigger than PS4 and XBOne lifetime, 9th gen so is very likely to become bigger than 8th, probably only 7th gen, with both home and portable markets huge is currently out of reach, but if all of the three will do very well, who knows.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Dulfite said:

Could be, but not necessarily. We are gearing up for the holidays and there's already people buying stuff for Christmas. If OLED launched in March it would be easier to tell if this sustained bump is because of it instead of precursor bump for the holidays. And sure, we could compare what bumps typically look like around this time of the year, but with new hardware out and everyone freaking out about chip shortages it's entirely possible people will be buying Christmas gifts even earlier than normal in order to acquire whatever they want to instead of waiting for chip shortages to prevent them from getting it in time.

I agree 100%.

The next few weeks will be decisive. Yet again If I had to make a prediction for the switch holiday boost if the OLED model wouldn't exist I would give it a boost from the 300k weekly that it did last few months (even before the OLED model announcement) to somewhere between 400-500k weekly. So it seems one normal result for a system selling around 300k weekly before that (without the OLED annoncement the weeks prior would also be somewhere around 300k) to boost to 400-500k weekly levels. And yes the OLED probably has some effect on it, for sure.. around some 50k to 100k more than what would have reached at the end of october if there wasn't a new model.

Last edited by yo33331 - on 01 November 2021

A tidy half a million for Switch is nice to see.

PS5 and Xbox Series are getting close in the US again, XS holding at around 2/3 of PS5 worldwide.

PS4 numbers seem to have been lowered to take into account its recent slight overtracking.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

A tidy half a million for Switch is nice to see.

PS5 and Xbox Series are getting close in the US again, XS holding at around 2/3 of PS5 worldwide.

PS4 numbers seem to have been lowered to take into account its recent slight overtracking.

PS4 appears to be just about done with only 200K shipped. Even at 20K per week that would mean about 250K sold per quarter. I'll keep Xbox One at half or less of PS4.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Next year should be final for both of them .. Very sad :/
They could prolong their lives at least for another 2-3 more years ..

I expect numbers no more than 1M next year for PS4, and no more than 500k for the XB1.

Last edited by yo33331 - on 01 November 2021

Mandalore76 said:

Looks like the OLED is having more staying power than some people expected.

The race between 2020 and 2021 is too close to call at this point.  A lot of people last week were wanting to call this game at halftime when the score is close.

I think Switch is more likely to be up this year than down.  However, it's going to come down to how many Switches Nintendo is able to ship.  A lot can still happen between now and Dec. 31.

S.Peelman said:

Predictable drop for Switch if you asked me, though I think I said 450 in the other thread, because of the chip shortages but also because of the shortage that usually happens immediately after a popular product launch. Switch weekly sales should rise again when supply comes, maybe even as soon as next week. Still, wouldn’t be surprised if it turns out to be a undertracked a bit.

And there you go. Quoting myself here because I was right.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mandalore76 said:

Looks like the OLED is having more staying power than some people expected.

The race between 2020 and 2021 is too close to call at this point.  A lot of people last week were wanting to call this game at halftime when the score is close.

I think Switch is more likely to be up this year than down.  However, it's going to come down to how many Switches Nintendo is able to ship.  A lot can still happen between now and Dec. 31.

You've changed your tune, a week ago it was "likely" to sell more than 29.66m, now 28.2m is "too close to call".

Gamerscore:20,000  -  Trophies:3,800 -  Nintendo Awards: -1

My Xbox Series S is my baby. It grew up into an X.