By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sells Over 500K, PS5 and XS Sales Climb - Global Hardware Oct 17 to 23

Excellent rebound up for NS, probably first week was so good to deplete supplies for second week and Ninty had to supply more to try and meet demand.
PS5 and XS good, they manage to grow a little even when NS is particularly strong. Potential market for consoles is quite obviously growing if there is enough space for a more than decent third, a strong second and a very strong market leader. And this thanks to Ninty, that with the hybrid idea saved the portable market from mobile competition. NS is already bigger than 3DS+WiiU and still growing strong, PS5 and XS are quite likely to become bigger than PS4 and XBOne lifetime, 9th gen so is very likely to become bigger than 8th, probably only 7th gen, with both home and portable markets huge is currently out of reach, but if all of the three will do very well, who knows.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

A tidy half a million for Switch is nice to see.

PS5 and Xbox Series are getting close in the US again, XS holding at around 2/3 of PS5 worldwide.

PS4 numbers seem to have been lowered to take into account its recent slight overtracking.

Mandalore76 said:

Looks like the OLED is having more staying power than some people expected.

The race between 2020 and 2021 is too close to call at this point.  A lot of people last week were wanting to call this game at halftime when the score is close.

I think Switch is more likely to be up this year than down.  However, it's going to come down to how many Switches Nintendo is able to ship.  A lot can still happen between now and Dec. 31.

S.Peelman said:

Predictable drop for Switch if you asked me, though I think I said 450 in the other thread, because of the chip shortages but also because of the shortage that usually happens immediately after a popular product launch. Switch weekly sales should rise again when supply comes, maybe even as soon as next week. Still, wouldn’t be surprised if it turns out to be a undertracked a bit.

And there you go. Quoting myself here because I was right.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mandalore76 said:

Looks like the OLED is having more staying power than some people expected.

The race between 2020 and 2021 is too close to call at this point.  A lot of people last week were wanting to call this game at halftime when the score is close.

I think Switch is more likely to be up this year than down.  However, it's going to come down to how many Switches Nintendo is able to ship.  A lot can still happen between now and Dec. 31.

You've changed your tune, a week ago it was "likely" to sell more than 29.66m, now 28.2m is "too close to call".

Around the Network

Xbox Series isn't getting totally trounced by PS5, I don't expect it to reach the popularity of XB360 but it could end up in between XBoxone and XB360 numbers. Perhaps something like 70m lifetime.

ShadowLink93 said:

Xbox Series isn't getting totally trounced by PS5, I don't expect it to reach the popularity of XB360 but it could end up in between XBoxone and XB360 numbers. Perhaps something like 70m lifetime.

Yeah I'm expecting the same, better than Xbox One but less than 360.

ShadowLink93 said:

Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI might give the console enough momentum to outsell the 360.

deerox said:
ShadowLink93 said:

Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI might give the console enough momentum to outsell the 360.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. The 360 was amazing, but Xbox is really putting their best foot forward in terms of first-party output. I wouldn't be surprised if sales start to skyrocket once Starfield releases and quite a few of their announced games in 2023.

Zippy6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

You've changed your tune, a week ago it was "likely" to sell more than 29.66m, now 28.2m is "too close to call".

Check my post again.  Reading comprehension for the win!